What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing Show Planes Fastback canopy

Harvey

Well Known Member
After nearly 14 years, I got a crack in my canopy, and decided to replace it. Main issue at the moment is that I cannot find any Hysol EA9360 structural adhesive, which is what Show Planes calls out to bond the canopy to the structure. Does anyone know of a supply, or an alternative ?
Also, has anyone had to remove a canopy and fit a new one to a Fastback ?

When I built my RV8 Showplanes Fastback I used West System Pro Set structural adhesive. This is what the tech people at West System (Gougeon Brothers) recommended at that time. They told me that Spaceship 1 was built entirely with this product. It had a much longer pot life for applying it and a wide temperature range when cured. When I built my current RV6, I used a combination of adhesive and solid fasteners. I called the Gougeon brothers again, and they recommended G-Flex this time. It’s a thickened adhesive, similar to Pro Set, but with some better qualities that would work in my application. I’ve used G-Flex numerous times in other things on my airplane and elsewhere, and it works well. And you should be able to get it at Home Depot or about any boat store.

After nearly 14 years, I got a crack in my canopy, and decided to replace it. Main issue at the moment is that I cannot find any Hysol EA9360 structural adhesive, which is what Show Planes calls out to bond the canopy to the structure. Does anyone know of a supply, or an alternative ?

Mine was bonded with EA9430. It's still there ;)

Back