What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

For Jurassic Builders Only

Started July 4, 2001

I started work on the tail kit July 4, 2001. Here are a couple pictures from Aug. 2001 working on it. First flight was Feb. 18, 2007 - 5 yrs. 7 months. Serial # 07172 - Still flying it 70-90 hrs. each year.

3B51564A-75EC-4790-ADBA-DA5126D9E394.jpeg 4A61AC2D-C5DD-4053-B48D-F12B2145DDDC.jpeg

Here is the finished product:

093DCFB1-9F64-4F3A-A594-E9410C954E78.jpg 69B608E3-51F8-45A7-929C-251855BE8662.jpeg

Last edited:
Long time ago…

I wanted an RV-4 ever since I saw it on the cover of the May 1980 Sport Aviation magazine, and then at Oshkosh that same year. I bought plans #458, and my wife got me the tail kit (s/n # 439) for my Birthday in 1980. We began work on the RV-4, but then as they say “Life got in the way”. When we could work on a project again the -8 was available and better suited our mission (and size). So we started over, We purchased our RV-8 kit in 2000 (s/n 81322) it first flew in 2010. It is still going strong.

I will try to dig out some Old pictures of the -4 and convert then to digital format, then figure out how to post them.

RV-4 #1850 started Sept '87 finished Sept '88. Purchased prebuilt wings by Art Chard, Van's prototype builder. Tested props for Bernie Warnke.

Not much for avionics. Flew all over the US with nothing more than a line and a heading on a sectional. Not much different than how I navigated flying RF-4C's.

Sold in 2009 have no idea where it is as registration has not been updated in years.

I received my tail kit in August of 2000. First flight - September 15, 2008. I'm the first and third owner.

I made the mistake of selling it to a guy in Tyler, TX because I was compelled to find a 4-seater for the family. My wife convinced me I was nuts, so I bought it back. (Still need a 4-seater.)

I hop on DR's site nearly every morning. I donate slightly more than my share. I always learn new stuff, so why not stick around.

Long ago in a galaxy far away…

Rob’ Smokey’ Ray, telling us his adventures flying his RV4 all over and in the Idaho back country, led me to want a RV15. I didn’t know it at the time,, but
After several trips to Idaho In my RV6,, including Smokies favorite Strip,, Upper Loon,,, I realized I wanted more comfortable, camping.
I looked at Bear Hawk, Murphy Moose, Rebel and, Finally the North Star Kit.
I choose it because the kit and plans were pretty good. 2 years to build. I flew it to Idaho 6 times before meeting Carol. Upps! Now I needed more room. Two peoples gear. Still no RV15,,, I bought a Skywagon to fill that need. The Wagon has been the perfect plane for us since 2009. 1030 hours, lots of trips Idaho, Maine, and Oshkosh. You might have seen it in Home built Camping. HOW did that Spam Can get to park in HBC!?
Smokey has open lots of eyes to new adventures over the years. And I think he has influence in the RV15 coming to a hanger near you.
Can’t wait.

Jay my brother of another mother!!
Thanks for the kind words! I’m so glad I posted this thread if nothing more than to see a lot of names and airplanes I recognized from the “Vans Jurassic period”.
My RV4 truly was a marvel then, and now. The Hornet driver (Dave) who owns it has really dolled it up with goodies saying “you F16 guys don’t have enough bells and whistles!”
Here’s a pic my Cessna 180/F16 bro “Chuck” Norris took of me over the ID backcountry in 96. It later made the Vans calendar (not a lot of entries back then). :)
Many great years, adventures friends and fun, a true Creators blessing I can’t fathom after all my other challenges, Iraq and the C word notwithstanding.

PS: Don’t sweat owning a Spam can, I’ve got an old Bonanza with 300 ponies that will smoke either of my RVs and carry anything you can stuff into it 1000 miles at 170 true, but still miss my RVs. So, maybe our paths will cross again, a new 15 tail kit in hand!!!

Great hearing from everyone who chimed in (and continue to) as well as, Larry, Bill, Paul and of course DR who made a lot of what we do possible.
Staying thankful!
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Rv-4 1991 ser no.3000

Van gave me the plans for free for being #3000
9 months to finish the tail kit.
9 years three kids three moves to finish the airplane.
Ive had alot of fun with it including..

Winning a few AirVenture Cup Races ( RV Red class)

Sarl racing

Airshow demonstrations flying with another jurrassic builder..

Formation flying with a great group of pilots

Started I was 30 now 61 and still flying it
Cm

Chris I remember you from the Airventure Races, I flew an RV6 in the RV Red class also. I just found this picture, is that your airplane? We were waiting to depart for Oshkosh after the race.

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 104
I see a lot of entries from the 21st Century. How is that Jurassic?

Come on Guys!

How about a thread of those who have landing their RVs @ Sunset Airstrip and parked in Van's back yard?

Last edited:
Been There - Done That

1990 - For those of you that have been there, you know there is a pronounced grade change about 1/2 down the runway (and power lines at the end!).

We used to go to that halfway point with lawn chairs and score cards to evaluate all landings re/the upgrade "swale" there. Made for some pretty interesting viewing. If you had your "druthers" - you'd druther get there early, so there weren't so many "judges" on the flight line.

In 1985 I got my "fam" ride from Van himself in the prototype -4, after I made a surprise visit to the shop and caught him huddled over his drafting table.

I still remember the "requirement" for attending the "Homecoming" - bring something to eat, it was a potluck.

In the early days there was an organized overnight flyout with the "State of the Union" dinner & program the following evening. Allan Tolle (a very early adopter) was the Master of Ceremony & Van's comments were usually very short and to the point.

If any of you remember the year that the guest speaker was George Bogardus (look him up - and his significance in the development of the certification process of the EAB's), and his speech was so long, that more than half of the audience (like Elvis) had left the building before he finished. I stayed to the bitter end, but felt badly for Van's staff who had to watch everyone "sneaking" out, but was powerless to do anything about it - still embarrasses me whenever I think about it.

HFS

HFS

21 years...

My build has gone on long enough that I now have even greater respect and awe for those of you who build 3, 4, or even 5 RVs in a lifetime.

I received my tail kit in 2002, built it quickly, then life intervened on and off for two decades.

I was basically a kid when I started, and now I'm... not. But the plane's getting really close to completion, and I work on it every day. I'm mostly a solo builder -- but when it's needed, I've had some great help from a few good buddies who beat me up about how slow a builder I am.

Looking forward to all the joy, travel and camaraderie my RV-8 will provide. See you all at Oshkosh, Sun-n-Fun, and many other places!

i-SmpV63K-S.jpg

2002: Notice the old-school tail jig in the background!

i-4LWr9B2-S.jpg

2022: Firing up the panel for the first time.

Started the tail kit in 1996, first flight in 2017. A slower builder than most. Started young, on the border of old by the time it flew. Made it through the fuselage kit by 2000, so before the "matched hole" kits.

Has been interesting to watch how the RV community has changed. When I started a day VFR machine with an old used engine and wood prop was normal, now seems to be the exception. I'm too poor/cheap for all the fancy stuff most seem to install these days.

Loving flying it, but have yet to do a real cross country (nothing overnight). Just local fooling around and aerobatics.

Ordered tail kit and QB fuselage/wings in 1998 for what became Stu McCurdy's (Falcon) RV-8.

Sheesh - I've aged... :D

Brian,

Would be interested to hear the story of how your kits ended up in Falcon’s RV-8. I am the current keeper of that airplane and am enjoying it immensely.

Oly

I received the plans (60+ D-sized drawings by Van himself) for the 6A, S/N 23209, in the fall of 1993. The tail kit came in December. My wife and kids all had the flu on Christmas eve 1993, so I went out and the shop and started filing the radius onto the horizontal stab spar bars. First flight was September 9th, 2001. Currently at just over 1800 hours. I fly it once a week or so. Currently having withdrawals as we're in AZ for a couple months...

RV-6A

Guess I fall into the Jurassic builders group too. Purchased the plans for S/N 22908 at Oshkosh '93. Got the pink slip sign off in 2013. Yea, there was a lot of down time and "life happens" in between.....but I've been trying to make up for lost (flying) time by putting on 1100 hours in 9 years. That includes 6 Oshkosh trips from the left coast.

build 1-001.jpg
first workbench, first part, first house, etc.

Matched hole pre-punch.....we don't need no stinkin' mached hole pre-punch!

i-KVtVgdz-S.jpg

i-2TDdmtG-S.jpg

i-8KM7CXV-S.jpg

Alex Peterson and I started at the same time (1993) but we didn't meet for a while. Finished and flying December 2000. It has almost 2000 hours now and we still fly several times a week. I still remember Matt Dralle's "RV List" and Jim Cone's great article on building the canopy. Even then, there was a wealth of information and building an RV was really a "group effort". Thanks to all, and especially Doug here of course.

Long long time ago......

If you started your tail kit 20 plus years ago, (34 for me)check in with a cool photo or comment how you’re doing now!

I took delivery of tail kit SN 2860 in 1991, renting a house with a one car garage. Made it through the Canoe Stage before moving. Then: Moved; got married; changed jobs; etc and finally finished after 6.5 years in October 1997, first flight November 1997.

Had over 1000 hours when I had to under go a little chemotherapy. One of the things that kept me going was being able to go out and wring SuzieQ out! I didn't fly every day but nearly! Then, months after I finished treatment, all tests negative and doing much better, my friends at the FAA said Oh, you HAD cancer? Then you can't fly! I had to jump through many hoops and garters of real fire :mad::mad::mad:and finally got a 6 month medical.:confused: Then had to start all over again. That was discouraging (to say the least) and I quit flying SuzieQ after 1120+ hours. Stayed current putting many open-door hours on the Cub. Now: SuzieQ is in the hangar getting a redo: ADS-B; Dynon D10A; all new hoses and other goodies! She'll be flying again SOON...but not soon enough!

Photos: finished airplane fall 1998; first flight; younger me attacking the horizontal spar......:)

Attachments

• img669ac.jpg
    img669ac.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 86
  • img758acR.jpg
    img758acR.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 94
  • img819.jpg
    img819.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 112
Ok...if you used the Frank Justice supplemental instructions you are an authentic Jurassic RV-6 builder!

http://www.matronics.com/rv-list/hovan/wingfinal.html

And bonus points if you recall Will Cretsinger's RV-6 tip-up canopy instructions!

http://web.archive.org/web/20051202222209/home.flash.net/~gila/wing_docs/canopy_notes2.htm
I used both of these, but you forgot the Bunny's Guide.

RV-6 #25728 started 1999 so I barely meet Mel's definition of "from the last millennium."

Love the basic squeezer in the previous picture, looks like an ATS tool. Remember the high quality forearm workout after squeezing the HS rear spar!? Most excellent.

ATS tools......

Love the basic squeezer in the previous picture, looks like an ATS tool. Remember the high quality forearm workout after squeezing the HS rear spar!? Most excellent.

Good eye! Yes: it is the MONSTER ATS rivet squeezer.....which I still have, by the way! After using that on the entire airplane, my arms looked like telephone poles!

At the time, it seemed ATS was the only supplier of aircraft-building tools. As time went on and other sources became available (Cleveland, Avery, etc) nearly all of the original ATS tools were replaced, either because they broke or the quality was just not there. I assume their quality has improved as they are still in business. One pays for what one gets. NO substitute for quality tools!

Yes thats my yellow and red checkered rv4

Chris I remember you from the Airventure Races, I flew an RV6 in the RV Red class also. I just found this picture, is that your airplane? We were waiting to depart for Oshkosh after the race.

Hello Dave,
I see you upgraded to an RV-8. I always thought I would at some point but life kind of took a turn in a different direction. I will probably have the -4 until I cant climb in and out of it..

For the sharp eyed Jurassic builder. A garbage rear RV4 HS rear spar upper left. Retired MD11 window from Boeing custom shop. Junk J85 turbine pieces from an unfortunate encounter with a west Texas turkey buzzard on top of window. Picture of #3 F1 Rocket flying. Aircraft under construction too….

Some more I guess…

Attachments

• C7760E6C-0191-466B-966A-1120568574E0.jpg
    C7760E6C-0191-466B-966A-1120568574E0.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
While returning from a mission with the Idaho Guard in the summer of 1985, I flew over Harold Steiner's ranch located next to the Snake River near Murphy. His completed RV-4 was outside his workshop and adjacent to his volcanic dust, hockey stick shaped runway. We rode out the next day and introduced ourselves and got a close up look at his dream machine.

I was commuting to ORD at the time and it was several weeks before I had a chance to touch base with Harold and inquired how the first flight went. He admitted he hadn't flown it yet but taxied up and down the dusty runway numerous times. He didn't have to twist my arm to come out and look at his all aluminum bird with the newly overhauled engine. I mentioned that taxiing in those conditions would harm his engine and it would be best to get her to a hard surface runway. He invited me to take a short run up the runway and see what I thought of the ground handling. It virtually was up the runway since the crook of the runway was below the elevation of either end. At the lowest setting, I taxied 800 ft. and turned to return, while waiting for the dust to settle. I hadn't left terra firma yet but the RV grin was already plastered on my face as I coasted back to where our wives were standing with Harold.

I signaled a big thumbs up and he replied likewise. My confidence in his build was reinforced by an earlier inspection I made of the plane so his thumbs up signal was all I needed to push up the throttle and launch into what was to become a love affair with the -4. Oh, I know there will be those to admonish me for the impulsiveness of the decision but having recently returned from a four year furlough, I had been flying all sorts of general aviation planes and military helicopters that I felt quite confident of my stick and rudder ability despite being back on the 727. I won't go into detail of all the maneuvers I completed for Harold to sign off on his log book, but they were enough to convince me that when Mary and I returned home we would order the tail kit.

At that time I did not have a facility to build and Harold offered his. My tail kit arrived at his ranch while I was at ORD doing my standby to standby. When I returned to start on the tail kit, he had already finished the horizontal and vertical surfaces. All that was left was the rudder and elevator for me to finish and that would have to wait till the next summer while a I took a domicile transfer and purchased a home with a walkout basement. Kit 1150 started in earnest 1986, was completed in 33 months and flown in June 1989. No bells and whistles for Miss Fusion and she's as light as Van's ordered it. Despite also flying a Pitts S1S and a Laser, my go to bird is Miss fusion, an airplane that has a heart and soul that allows you to do just about anything that you desire. I still pat her on the spinner and give her a smooch even after all these years and another wonderful flight.

As a side note, she was responsible for the easiest aircraft oral I ever had. Transitioning to the 767, my check Captain knew that I had just completed the first RV in Colorado and while we are sitting at the table surrounded by panel pictures used for questioning, he asked if I had any pictures? I whipped out the pictures from my shirt pocket and spread 'em out like 52 card pickup. We finally arrived at the end of the hour and he pointed to one switch and asked what it's used for.

Cheers, Hans

RV-6

I built my RV-6, 20404, from ‘88 to ‘92. Sold it in ‘97 to build my -8, 80027, which I finished in ‘04 and still fly today. Somewhere, stashed away in some box, I have the notification advert from Van’s announcing their direct sales of Lycoming engines. You had two choices, a 160 hp O320 or a 180 hp O360. As I recall, the 320 was $10,500 and the 360 was $11,500. Now those were good old days!

AF1QipMS9l6uweAiAeHZy-3Lqgxf8CCRNp19Q7F9g6bH

Last edited:
No one has yet mentioned the video tapes put out by George and Becki Orndorff. I recall watching those almost 30 years ago. There was a thread on VAF a while back re them.

No one has yet mentioned the video tapes put out by George and Becki Orndorff. I recall watching those almost 30 years ago. There was a thread on VAF a while back re them.

Yep, I think I still have the fuse and wing videos...somewhere....

My wife said those tapes were about as boring as the Martha King IFR tapes I was also watching....but both served their purpose! :D

Last edited:
14 years

Started my RV6A build in 1992 and finished in December 2005. Been flying it ever since. I built and sold a RV12 and could not believe the difference in the kits......

Phil Arter's RV-8 E-mail List

OK, while I can't compete with the REAL Jurassic builders from the early days of RV-4s and -6s, I'll toss out this Blast From the Past for other Jurassic RV-8 builders ...

Long before DR started this site, and before the Matronics site, we early -8 builders only had an e-mail list started by (the late) Phil Arter, #80005, as I recall. My kit was #80113, so there were many others out there who started before I did and may have participated on that original builder resource.

Until we moved to AZ, I still had a box of perforated computer paper e-mails from Danny King, Brian Denk, Von Alexander, and others generated by my Commodore 64 computer. :D

OK, while I can't compete with the REAL Jurassic builders from the early days of RV-4s and -6s, I'll toss out this Blast From the Past for other Jurassic RV-8 builders ...

Long before DR started this site, and before the Matronics site, we early -8 builders only had an e-mail list started by (the late) Phil Arter, #80005, as I recall. My kit was #80113, so there were many others out there who started before I did and may have participated on that original builder resource.

Until we moved to AZ, I still had a box of perforated computer paper e-mails from Danny King, Brian Denk, Von Alexander, and others generated by my Commodore 64 computer. :D
I was on that list. Amazing how helpful an email list really was. Started my -8 in April 1997. Finished June 6, 2000. Technically completed in the 20th century I believe.

Pics below. Passed inspection by FAA, June 1. First flight in an RV and first for the plane, June 6, 2000. Approaching 23 years, 2600 hrs, two engines and lots of adventures.

Attachments

• Savcfc23013017450_0002.jpg
    Savcfc23013017450_0002.jpg
    960.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Savcfc23013017450_0001.jpg
    Savcfc23013017450_0001.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200801_133852.jpg
    20200801_133852.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

I tried.... & tried again so hard.... to stay awake watching those videos..... there should have been some commercials or something in there.

Those were the days..........

Yes....printed in dot matrix! I had a Commodore 128! Smoothest keyboard made! I still have a bunch of large floppy disks I would like to find a way to download. Lots of my early thoughts are on those disks......:):cool:

Orendorf

I have the entire set on VHS. No way to watch them…..

I tried.... & tried again so hard.... to stay awake watching those videos..... there should have been some commercials or something in there.

Yaaaaahhhhwnnnn . . . indeed - - I have a set, can I pitch them now? Only half used . . .:D

Small World

I was also part of that list. Back in the late 70’s Phil was the primary technician for the University of Colorado’s planetarium. I was a student employee and had the honor of working with him at the time. We reconnected as a result of his RV-8 List. His passing was a sad day.

[ I started my first kit in June 1986 and made my first flight in June 1999. Still flying her and enjoying every minute.

Early 1990's first ride in RV-6 given to me by Rick McBride at Genesee County Airport, Batavia NY. Placed order for my RV-6 then. Attended several RV builder forums at Fredericksburg Maryland hosted by George Orndorf and local EAA Chapter. Obtained most building tools and supplies from Bob Avery. Used George Orndorff VHS tapes and Van's Rvator newsletters for builder hints and guidance. Followed Matronics RV list before Vansairforce.net. RV-6 completed after 4 year of construction December 1997, first flight January 1998. Still flying, maintaining and enjoying my Vans RV-6 serial number 23130.

Back