What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1? Glider

EJWash

I can't remember how far back, but Van's toyed/teased a glider concept. I'm sure it was way before CAD and CNC, but a design along the lines of the all-metal Blanik wouldn't be a challenge. Yes, I get it, it wouldn't be a 70:1 glide ratio super-duper thermal to the moon machine, but could top 32:1 to make it a FUN machine.

Van did indeed start construction of a motor glider, based on the Schreder HP-18 wings I think. I think it was to be the RV-11? Bob Kuykendall would know more details, as would Van himself of course.

Since Van is an ardent sailplane pilot himself, I think he understands that an all-metal sailplane is a non-starter nowadays, and has been for awhile.

Below is a pic (used with permission) of Van landing at Ephrata in his Antares 20E motorglider during the Region 8 Soaring Championships a few years ago.

i-TWXKQSZ.jpg

I got a chance to see the RV-11 project last year, and it was much farther along than I had thought. Not ready to fly, and it didn’t appear high on a priority list, so I don’t think it’s being actively worked on - but yes indeed, it was a real project!

Since Van is an ardent sailplane pilot himself, I think he understands that an all-metal sailplane is a non-starter nowadays, and has been for awhile.
As I posted, it wouldn't compete with the high-performance, composite competition ships, but would be a fun flyer. Why not have some fun?

I got a chance to see the RV-11 project last year, and it was much farther along than I had thought. Not ready to fly, and it didn’t appear high on a priority list, so I don’t think it’s being actively worked on - but yes indeed, it was a real project!
Maybe the eRV-1? to give the eXenos some company?

BTW, watching your project with great interest.

Wood

Didn’t I read somewhere, some while back that Van had started design and fabrication of a tailless wood sailplane or did I hallucinate that?

As I posted, it wouldn't compete with the high-performance, composite competition ships, but would be a fun flyer. Why not have some fun?

I understand and don't disagree at all. But unfortunately, I don't think there is enough demand, and certainly not enough to make it pencil out financially. And Van's likes to sell lots of kits!

I have a fair amount of time in the backseat of Blanik L-13s and L-23 Super Blaniks as a CFI-G and they are great training sailplanes. Excellent for teaching stalls and spins. And they are aerobatic to boot! Of course, the L-13 Blaniks have been grounded due to fatigue issues; fixable, but expensive.

The single seat L-33 Blanik is fun to fly, but the aft fuselage is not too robust when landed off-field or landed hard (and expensive to fix).

I learned to fly in Schweizer 2-22E's way back when. The Schweizer 1-26D was the first single seat aircraft I flew, and always a fun sailplane to fly (but there needs to be lots of thermals around!). Owned a Standard Libelle that I flew for about 850 hours. Wow, do I feel old!

Last edited:
The Schweizer 1-26 was the first single seat aircraft I flew. Wow, now do I feel old!
Two things we have in common! 🤣 I'm "seasoned" in age as well. And, the first single-seat I flew was a 1-26D - the same day I passed my Commercial/Glider add-on in the mid-'90s. THAT is what I mean when I say "fun"!

True enough, demand would be low, at least in the U.S., where soaring isn't much of a crowd gatherer. Needs more cowbell (i.e., PT-6, laser-tracking ordnance, etc.). But, sales outside of the U.S. is a column in Van's ledgers. Maybe the E/AB category can be an answer to north of $200K gliders?

Didn’t I read somewhere, some while back that Van had started design and fabrication of a tailless wood sailplane or did I hallucinate that?

That….would have been the RV-2…… we saw pictures of that at Airventure last year during the Van’s 50th anniversary!

That….would have been the RV-2…… we saw pictures of that at Airventure last year during the Van’s 50th anniversary!

Correct
And if I am remembering correctly, part of the RV-2 has actually flown…..
When the RV-5 got updated to the Rotax engine the wind screen/canopy was also updated and the canopy that had originally been custom made for the RV-2, but not used, was installed instead installed on the RV-5.

Wikipedia has a complete list and description of Van's aircraft from the RV-1 through the RV-15. No picture of the RV-2 though.

From this old archived Van's Aircraft webpage: https://web.archive.org/web/20120309065759/http://vansaircraft.com/public/rvkitpla.htm

"The RV-2, believe it or not, was a wooden flying-wing sailplane. Van started construction in the early 70s but the airplane was never finished or flown. Parts of it still hang on his hangar wall."

There is, of course, the HP-24 if you are interested in an E-AB sailplane. Finished well, it is still competitive in regionals-level competition. it is an absolute delight to fly. Kit sales have stalled at 7. There isn't really any market for E-AB gliders, and Van knows that plenty well.

Self-launch gliders are in more demand, and command high-enough prices that an E-AB option starts to make more sense.
HP-24 S/N 6 is being finished with an F.E.S. electric sustainer. The builder plans to auto-tow to a low altitude and climb from there on the FES.

S/N 2 will someday be completed with a (gas-powered) self-launch engine package from an ASH-26E. That has the potential to attract some builder interest, if self-launch packages were readily available. Electric would be an option if someone would do the risky and expensive development of battery modules that fit in the wings.

But all of this is in such a small market that Vans knows to stay away from it. Motorgliders, as distinct from self-launch sailplanes that retract the engine and prop inside, generally make poor gliders and poor airplanes, getting the worst of both worlds. My limited experience is that they really are not much fun (the hoped objective stated by the OP) A notable exception is the Carat which is a pretty good soaring machine.

Oh BTW, my first glider was also a SGS 1-26D. I had three flights over 180 miles in it.

Last edited:
Soaring

Steve, are you going to attend the saoring convention? Would like to talk about the hp gliders. You can email me at rv4bob....at... cox.....dot......net. thanks

There is, of course, the HP-24 if you are interested in an E-AB sailplane. Finished well, it is still competitive in regionals-level competition. it is an absolute delight to fly. Kit sales have stalled at 7. There isn't really any market for E-AB gliders, and Van knows that plenty well.

Self-launch gliders are in more demand, and command high-enough prices that an E-AB option starts to make more sense.
HP-24 S/N 6 is being finished with an F.E.S. electric sustainer. The builder plans to auto-tow to a low altitude and climb from there on the FES.

Thanks Steve. I took a look at HP Aircraft's website. One option, and, at least there are options.

Motorgliders, as distinct from self-launch sailplanes that retract the engine and prop inside, generally make poor gliders and poor airplanes, getting the worst of both worlds.

Hey, sounds to me like an opportunity to achieve Total Performance! :)

Back