What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Major Canopy modifications?

Blw2

Well Known Member
I've been searching for a while, haven't seen any posts yet about seriously customized canopies. Any out there that I'm missing?

I'm just starting to daydream about a retirement project. It's a few years out, but I'm a planner. I went back to the Van's tent at Sun n Fun several times wrapping my head around the idea. I like the 14. Even though I'd like more seats if I'm honest it probably fills my mission.

Anyway, back when I was flying, most of my time was in high wings, mostly Cessna. I do have some time in low wings...various pipers and a mooney and one of the things that always bugged me was the one door and no opening windows.

Seems like the tipping vs sliding debate is a long and strong one.... and it kinda tells me that I'm not alone in my "troubles" with the RV canopy designs. I can certainly see advantages in the one piece tipper...and also the old WW2 fighter feel of a slider....
but my brain keeps taking me to ideas about converting to doors somehow, sort of like the RV-10..or adding opening window(s) somehow...even if it's those little hand sized port holes on many pipers, beechcraft, etc....
I know, probably a silly idea, but it's the hurdle I keep coming back to.

I mean, what do RV flyers do if they want to enter a flour bombing competition or something?

Surely with all the homebuilders out there, there must have been some pretty interesting (or even stupid) mods done to the design.

Modifications

..<snip>
I mean, what do RV flyers do if they want to enter a flour bombing competition or something?

Surely with all the homebuilders out there, there must have been some pretty interesting (or even stupid) mods done to the design.

Lots of designs to release flour bombs, ashes, etc. They are hung underneath.
It's experimental. Modify all you want but it sure adds a lot of time. I speak from experience. My canopy has a one piece fuberglass skirt. Windshield is one piece fiberglass trim. FWF has a plenum. Inlets are integrated into the bottom cowl. Top cowl has no inlet component.

..my brain keeps taking me to ideas about converting to doors somehow, sort of like the RV-10..or adding opening window(s) somehow...even if it's those little hand sized port holes on many pipers, beechcraft, etc....
I know, probably a silly idea, but it's the hurdle I keep coming back to

Doors would be a hard thing to engineer, since there is a structural longeron that defines the ledge where both types of canopies rest. All of the RV's except the -10 have this design feature. You'd have to remove a portion of that longeron and the side skin to create a door. That is no small engineering feat.

It would be relatively easy to add the little "porthole" windows you mentioned. If you look far enough back in Sport Aviation, you can find an article by Tony Bingelis where he did just that.

Back