What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kits under construction ONLY

What type of RV are you building (allows for multiple answers)?

• RV-3

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • RV-4

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • RV-6

Votes: 29 7.5%
  • RV-7

Votes: 130 33.5%
  • RV-8

Votes: 84 21.6%
  • RV-9

Votes: 63 16.2%
  • RV-10

Votes: 35 9.0%
  • RV-12

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • RV-14

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters

Captain_John

Well Known Member
Hey All,

In another thread I got to wondering...

How many active participants here are still building (not flying) and what type of kits are being worked on?

What are you working on?

I am still cranking away on my -7!

:D CJ

7A emp and wings done and painted, wating for next year funds for fuse and finish kits...

9-A Slider

Empennage done other than tips. Left wing in process and building both fuel tanks now.

RV-7, tail done, lots of wing pieces in the garage and struggling with the fuel tanks now. After seeing all the beautiful RVs at OSH, wishing we could snap our fingers and have an airworthy plane today! But building is half the fun, right?

rv-8

But building is half the fun, right?

According to the FAA, building is 51% of the fun.. (sigh) :)

I'm almost done with the empennage of my RV-8. 127 hrs in the construction Hobbs.. figuring how to trim the elevator stiffeners

RV-3 rebuild with wing spar SB plus new engine and prop. RV-6A firewall forward rebuild (original builder removed subrau engine). RV-7 at finish kit stage.

Slow build 8 , tail , fuselage complete , wing kit ship date Aug 20. Goal is to be flying it spring 2013

RV-7

Haven't even opened the boxes yet, but my emp kit is sitting on my workbench. As soon as I get finished unpacking the garage (just moved in), I'll be off to the races (the inevitably very, very slow races).

RV-8

Slowbuild RV-8.

Wings close to completion and inspection from MDRA for the emp and wings will be done in September. Moving forward with ordering the fuselage hopefully in October.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited:
RV-7A

Slow build kit. Still working on the finish kit. Learning to curse fiberglass. I have no idea how Dan H. and some others can get into it like they do :confused:

-14 Builders?

According to the poll results, there are 2 people already building RV-14's ? So who are the "beta" builders? According to the Van's announcement, the wing kit won't even be available for another month.

rv8

wings done, empannage done, fuselage built, most electrical done, canopy installed and working fiberglass fairings right now.

bird

According to the poll results, there are 2 people already building RV-14's ? So who are the "beta" builders? According to the Van's announcement, the wing kit won't even be available for another month.

No one said you had to be honest. And no, I am not one of the -14 builders.

I'm building a 7, but I'm early enough along that I'm seriously considering declaring the empennage an extended practice kit and switching to the 14 when parts become available. Captain John, you should run this exact poll late in the year to see how much the 14 category has spiked and the effect (if any) on the others.

- John

The poll says it allows for multiple entries. Not if you are building on two of the same type, or I couldn't figure out how to do that. We have several 12s underway.

Bob

I'm building a 7, but I'm early enough along that I'm seriously considering declaring the empennage an extended practice kit and switching to the 14 when parts become available. Captain John, you should run this exact poll late in the year to see how much the 14 category has spiked and the effect (if any) on the others.

- John

John, Right!

All I can say is WOW! I am very pleased that this thread has seen so much enthusiasm!

I was getting worried that building airplanes was a dying art. Not so, I guess!?!

So glad!

:) CJ

RV 10. Tail and wings 95% done, fuselage skins going on now. Another 5-6 years and I might be 90% done.:eek:

Eric Ison

Tail and wings done. Fuse 90% done , slider finish kit about 75% done and my project is still is a BLAST to work on. I know I will be a repeat offender, I can see a 10 in the horizon with a nice little turbo prop.

RV-9a

Hey John. Catching up to you. Better not beat you.
By the way your home built DRDT dimpler works like a
charm.

Building since Feb 2011. Emp done less fiberglass, Fuse and finish kit
90%, tip up done, cowling fit needs painting, panel 90% waiting on GRT EFIS and auto pilot. Just got my cylinders rebuilt and engine parts yellow tagged and will start the engine rebuild next week, just started the wings.

Finish date? Seems like building these things you may think your 80% done
But you may still be 80% to go!

Come by the shop some time!

Hey John. Catching up to you. Better not beat you.
By the way your home built DRDT dimpler works like a
charm.

Building since Feb 2011. Emp done less fiberglass, Fuse and finish kit
90%, tip up done, cowling fit needs painting, panel 90% waiting on GRT EFIS and auto pilot. Just got my cylinders rebuilt and engine parts yellow tagged and will start the engine rebuild next week, just started the wings.

Finish date? Seems like building these things you may think your 80% done
But you may still be 80% to go!

Come by the shop some time!

Albit, we do what we can! Don't slow down on my account. Press on! Use the dimpler in good health! I won't need it back until my cowling is done. Perhaps some time this winter?

See you soon!!!

:) CJ

RV-8
100 hours done on empennage.
Hor. & Ver. Stabs done
Rudder almost finished...

Emp kit done except for tips. Wings started -- prepping ribs. Haven't decided yet if it will be a 7 or 7A.

Nearly there

1750 hrs on the 8 so far. It is only the %%#^@*(!! ... fibreglass that is slowing me down. I am Soooo close to painting and then final assembly.

Jim

RV-7a

I bought my tail kit after Oshkosh 2001,Quick build wings from another builder in 2003,Fuselage kit in 2005, 0-360A1D core in 2010,ordered the Finish kit in February of this year,received it as I was leaving for Oshkosh ,backed ordered 7a engine mounts.I hope to be flying in a year or two and will plug away till the end of the project or my demise which ever comes first.The sad part is,with all my spare cash going into parts for either the plane or the engine build,I've had to give up flying.What was $80 an hour in 2003 is $140 an hour today.At a recent fly-in I met a kitfox pilot who has the rattiest looking ship I have ever saw,home made panel made in 7th grade woodshop,painted with house paint and a roller,looks like heck but he fly's a couple hundred hours a year to every fly-in he can make.Yes I would love to be flying something less right now,then I remember anything worth having is worth the sacrifice,there is no turning back now.

I started my RV-7A in January 2006. After 5-1/2 years my airframe is pretty much complete. I just finished my tip-up canopy, and just a week ago acquired my engine! So next I'll be doing some wiring in the aft fuse, then riveting the final top skin on the aft fuse, then install the rear window. Then I can put her on her gear and hang the engine! I can see the possibility of flying in perhaps a year or so. Amazing. I've loved every minute of this journey.

We know for sure one of the people is the EAA Pres. and family. Not sure if he decided to come on and vote though... (Oh and he will prob HAVE it built)

Lots!

Helping build several RV7s and RV8s. Lots of fun!

Flying the 'Borrowed Horse' !

Last edited:
We know for sure one of the people is the EAA Pres. and family. Not sure if he decided to come on and vote though... (Oh and he will prob HAVE it built)

Not sure where you are coming from. If you said that about me, I would likely take offense. Care to share? We used to call that kind of thing a "cheap shot", meaning that the target isn't here to defend his/herself. :(

Is this an appropriate comment for the VAF forum?

I vote: "No"

inappropriate

Not sure where you are coming from. If you said that about me, I would likely take offense. Care to share? We used to call that kind of thing a "cheap shot", meaning that the target isn't here to defend his/herself. :(

Is this an appropriate comment for the VAF forum?

I vote: "No"

Was not meant like that. I would imagine that the guy is SUPER busy. What was meant is like this: If I get just one more restaurant (this is me talking) I will have EVERYTHING built because I wont have time to scratch my head. I pose this: How did you jump to the conclusion I am beating up on the guy or his family? Sad really. Next time think of the bright side. As for you, I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Wrapping things up

Cowl, FAB, paint, final assembly and MDRA inspection, That's all that's left on the list. :)

Was not meant like that. I would imagine that the guy is SUPER busy. What was meant is like this: If I get just one more restaurant (this is me talking) I will have EVERYTHING built because I wont have time to scratch my head. I pose this: How did you jump to the conclusion I am beating up on the guy or his family? Sad really. Next time think of the bright side. As for you, I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Your information source that the EAA Presidents presidents family is building an RV-14 is not a good one.
They are going to build an RV-12. His teenage son (student pilot) took an RV-12 demo flight in the TeenFlight airplane during OSH and is excited to get started. He has two teenage sisters that I believe are also going to be involved.

Read about it on the Van's Aircraft Face Book page HERE

Last edited:
Plus One

Added to the RV-12 tally. Started on 9-1-12, tail surfaces done, halfway done with tailcone, wing kit is on hand.

I'm just starting on my -7A empennage. I bought the kit partially done, and will finish up the emp. before proceeding. It still needs the trim done, tips, weights, and one elevator doesn't have the LE rolled yet.

Actually, right now I'm just learning the tools and techniques by building the Van's tool box so I don't screw anything up. :) In fact, I think I'm going to order the control surface practice kit too.

Like Bob Laffler,
I hope I'm only weeks away.
At first, I started building to get an RV, eventually I matured enough to enjoy the building. I wasn't so keen on the aluminum structure at first. But I always enjoyed the power plant & systems.
The fiberglass work and the canopy were completely new ground for me, but the results were good, so I'm glad I learned how to do that too.

RV9A

Been working on my 9A for almost 7 years now.

- Engine started last month (Dec. 2012)

- Transition training scheduled next month (Feb. 2013)

- Talking with my DAR and getting started on final paperwork

- Looks like I will actually fly this year.

- You may have noticed I have said my plane will fly this year for the last 4 years. Can't imaging anything that stops me now though. The end is so close... I am getting really excited. Can't wait to get the transition training completed.

IMG_0416.jpg

One of only a couple -4 guys in this poll. :) Pre-punch nothing. very slow build. Family first, then airplane. :) Going with a fastback, otherwise 'stock'.

Tail done OCT 2009,
Wings in progress,
Saving for fuse.

I love my time in the garage. Quite relaxing for me, until you have to find a buried measurement somewhere deep in the old -4 plans. :rolleyes:

G

Back