What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA Free Approach Plate Downloads HELP (not Seattle)

Bill_H

Well Known Member
I'm having a devil of a time trying to use some unsupported PERL scripting to download FAA free approach plates (PDF). This is for a GRT HXR which can show them on the screen if they are nicely arranged in state folders, etc. Has anyone come up with some method other than a PERL script to do this is some sort of automated way?

If you are successfully using the PERL script method discussed here:
http://mstewart.net/super8/grtgetallplates/index.htm
I could sure use some email or phone help available to get it set up and working!

Thanks,
Bill H. please email to billrhollifield AT gmail DOT com

Great question

I tried and tried an finally gave up

I was hoping for simple instructions from GRT but not sure it’s a priority :(

This goes back a long ways so I may not be remembering this correctly, but here goes....
1. I don’t think grt ever really supported this. The script was written by a customer, I think.
2. I seem to recall that at some point the faa site changed their software, the way the data was accessed, and the script was never updated.
I did hand-transfer a few local approaches into my Hx, and they worked. But I decided the Hx screen was a little too small for this. These days I use an iPad mini and WingX for plates; I wouldn’t want anything smaller.

+1 with HXr

This goes back a long ways so I may not be remembering this correctly, but here goes....
1. I don’t think grt ever really supported this. The script was written by a customer, I think.
2. I seem to recall that at some point the faa site changed their software, the way the data was accessed, and the script was never updated.
I did hand-transfer a few local approaches into my Hx, and they worked. But I decided the Hx screen was a little too small for this. These days I use an iPad mini and WingX for plates; I wouldn’t want anything smaller.

+1. I leave HXr in split screen with map/traffic/wx on the 1/3 side. The geo-referenced plates on the mini via WingX are a winner. You can also overlay, with varying levels on opacity, approach plates on a sectional chart. I had minimal luck importing pdf plates into the HXr.

Yes some guy wrote that perl script. Then FAA changed access and broke it.
Has not worked in many years.

Back