What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recoating the steps

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
So first the boarding steps were painted, and that wore off and the steps were ugly and starting to rust. Then I had them powdercoated, and that broke off. So now I am going to try Cerakote, well known to the gun guys. A friend has made a Cerakote oven, and I'm going to try their series C and see how that does.

Next question, and I'll find out the answer to this tomorrow when we start taking the plane apart for condition inspection, is... do I have to take up the baggage floor to get at the back of the rivets so that I can tap them out (after drilling) without deforming structure? This is on an RV-9A.

BTW, Cerakote comes in a wide range of colors. They have five shades of white, and I've ordered (free) swatches in each color. The only shipping option is UPS next day air for $10, though. They're in Oregon.

Ed
I have a -10, so the -9 may be different. On the -10 the step structure goes into a tube, where it is held in place by a nut/bolt. Yes, you need to get under the baggage floor to access that bolt. Some builders cut a hole, install a reinforcement ring and inspection plate, to avoid drilling out the floor rivets. Make sure you can access the nut on the bottom side as well as the bolt head.

Yes - rivetted to the outside skin,
but in under the luggage floor is a tube running inboard & plastic bushing with a through bolt. You will have to remove at least the bolt to slide the step assembly out the side hole.
Bob mentioned builders accessing the plastic bushing either by cutting an access hole/panel, or by drilling off the luggage floor panel (my preference is drill the floor off)

Also, another tip, from experience - NEVER Chrome plate the step...

Last edited:
Before (or after) the Cerakote starts to wear, you can put a piece of large diameter heat-shrink over the horizontal portion of the step. Mine is holding up nicely. No slipperier than paint, and easy to replace if needed.

Before (or after) the Cerakote starts to wear, you can put a piece of large diameter heat-shrink over the horizontal portion of the step. Mine is holding up nicely. No slipperier than paint, and easy to replace if needed.

Thanks! but I thought it wasn't supposed to wear hardly at all.

As for chrome plating, if they take care of hydrogen embrittlement, are there any other issues?

Ed

Back