What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interesting photo

Paul 5r4

Well Known Member
I went for a quick oil stirring flight last night. The sun was setting and a rather ordinary sunset began to unfold.... the first picture. After a minute it transformed to the second picture. I can't begin to understand the what/why/how the straight and evenly spaced lines came from. Just thought I'd share this interesting photograph.
It almost looks as if they were shot on different days. I took them myself only a couple minutes apart.

24vkxna.jpg

2ezmw3s.jpg

Last edited:
I went for a quick oil stirring flight last night. The sun was setting and a rather ordinary sunset began to unfold.... the first picture. After a minute it transformed to the second picture. I can't begin to understand the what/why/how the straight and evenly spaced lines came from. Just thought I'd share this interesting photograph.
It almost looks as if they were shot on different days. I took them myself only a couple minutes apart.

Send them to James Spann and ask him. I am sure he will know.
https://www.facebook.com/jamesspann/

Shadows of the "Kelvin-Helmholtz" waves...

I think it the rays from the setting sun shining over a nice Kelvin wave formation (and no, I'm not making this name up either!)
They are very short lived so that explains the quick pop-up!
Very cool

Interesting photo!

Paul,

What a great photo. It does look like maybe the shadow of the light hitting to Kelvin Helmholtz waves. What is cool is that the shadows appear to be associated with the trough, not the peak of the waves. Very cool in any event!

cheers
Geoff

Hey and thanks to everyone for your responses. I'm learning everyday as I've never heard of this phenomenon. Interesting stuff!

I saw the same phenomenon on an evening flight two weeks ago.

Before...

After...

Last edited:
Amazing capture. No expert, but I specialize in sunrises and sunsets (see my YouTube channel)... and these were just beautiful.

Hey, that's looking over Mobile Bay, isn't it . . from the "sunny" eastern shore side. :D

The evenly spaced rays do seem very unusual. I was returning from the airport and saw a setting sky, with rays just like that, here in central Illinois one winter evening. The sky was calm super clear, dry, and free of clouds. So clear that looking west at the wind generators against the red background of the sky, they were black from lack of back scatter as were the farm houses perched on the hill tops. Then, suddenly, the rays appeared across the red sky as the sun dipped below the distant horizon ( I was on a rare hill). The rays were evenly spaced and lasted less than a minute. I wish it could have been captured it in a photograph. Digital iPhone did not render the same color capture as 35mm Kodachrome.

Great feat getting that photo Paul, Thanks.

Thank you for the cool photograph.

I think I'll make that the background on my laptop for a while...

-Paragon
Cincinnati, OH

Yes Bill, that is Mobile Bay. I live in Foley. I do enjoy getting sunrises, (when I HAPPEN to be up), and sunsets. I have lot's of sunset photos on my computer. I'm just an ordinary guy but, a beautiful sunset from the plane opens my heart and my eyes to the spectacular grandeur all around us. I had a friend say to me once that as adults we so quickly start missing the "magic of life" taking things for granted. Like the cool breeze blowing over your skin.... a beautiful sunset.... the site of people laughing, playing and joking around with each other. The simple things. God is good.

The cloudlayer above the even stripes definitely looks like Noctiluncent. Not real clouds but ice/dust particles at approximately 80 km above the earth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctilucent_cloud

Noctilucent is very often observed around this time the year, around the longest day. You need the perfect twilight to see them. In the Netherlands it was visible, very prominently, last night.

Amen

Yes Bill, that is Mobile Bay. I live in Foley. I do enjoy getting sunrises, (when I HAPPEN to be up), and sunsets. I have lot's of sunset photos on my computer. I'm just an ordinary guy but, a beautiful sunset from the plane opens my heart and my eyes to the spectacular grandeur all around us. I had a friend say to me once that as adults we so quickly start missing the "magic of life" taking things for granted. Like the cool breeze blowing over your skin.... a beautiful sunset.... the site of people laughing, playing and joking around with each other. The simple things. God is good.

Paul, I share your attitude. There's something about sunsets, especially from the air (I have tons of sunset photos), that just open your eyes to the beauty and "magic" around you that we often take for granted. As you said, the simple things, but the beautiful things. God is good.

Back