What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh - I wish I had thought of that

RogerG

For all of you that have flown your RV to Oshkosh years past, I'm sure you went through the "I wish I had thought of that" after you arrived. What suggestions would you advise us first timers to bring along, or prepare for?

Some initial questions. What type of light weight tie down stakes will work with soil type at Oskosh?

What type of payment did you find most Vendors accepted?

What type of clothing is usually needed? Mosquito spray?

You get the idea. Suggestions appreciated.

Oshkosh

For all of you that have flown your RV to Oshkosh years past, I'm sure you went through the "I wish I had thought of that" after you arrived. What suggestions would you advise us first timers to bring along, or prepare for?

Some initial questions. What type of light weight tie down stakes will work with soil type at Oskosh?

What type of payment did you find most Vendors accepted?

What type of clothing is usually needed? Mosquito spray?

You get the idea. Suggestions appreciated.

My Lucy is not finished so no comment on flying in.
Payment is a non issue. We use AmEx. Even the flea market vendors take plastic.
Clothing is usually light with a light waterproof top just in case.
Bring bug spray and sun screen.
One suggestion is to make a plan. Download the map and schedule or use the app. Plan every day around the things most important to you. It can be overwhelming if you don't. Highlight the map with key vendors and locations so you don't wander aimlessly.
I usually plan around forums or classes I don't want to miss then free time is used to see the airplanes and walk the vendor hangars and flea market. Any time left is spent with the big vendors.
Use the trams if there's a seat.
Don't miss the Vans Social or night airshow.

The 3-metal spike type tie-downs seem to work best:
http://theclaw.com/the-claw/aircraft-claw-c100.php
http://www.flyties.com/
There's also an EAA roll your own version:
http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...spx?_id=7DA22AE4AE294BF392C68BB9DFC6AA28&_z=z

Most take cash and credit card. My preference is cash for food and credit card for everything else.

You'll need to have clothes for hot days and cool nights plus comfortable walking shoes. Bug spray is a good idea. Sunscreen is a real good idea.
Some plywood boards to put under you wheels to keep them from sinking into the ground if there's a lot of rain is another good idea.

Besides the OSH camping guide, here's another link with lots of good info:
http://thriftylittlemom.com/2014/03/24/prepping-airventure-oshkosh/

Oh boy, that is a big question...
Yes, bug spray. We use the super concentrated 90?% deet. Requires just a couple of drops and you don't have to hose yourself down with Off.
SUNSCREEN. We hose ourselves down with it often.
Water. Bring a big bottle and it is FINE right out of the tap. Keep 'er full, and if you don't have to pee, you aren't drinking enough. Don't buy water on the field.
Big stupid hat for the sun.

Clothes are up to the weather man. Most years it is pretty warm. Some years it is a bit chilly (for a southerner).

So, you're flying in? Our favorite deed is to pack a cheap foam cooler with lunch fixings and snacks. When we hit the field, I hop out of the airplane and go see Jerry at HBC for a bag of ice while Tanya starts tying down the airplane. Half of the ice goes in the cooler which lives under the airplane for the duration of our stay, while I put a name tag on the rest of the bag and put it back in the HBC ice cooler. Repeat every day or so as needed. We spend our afternoons chilling under the airplane with a generally healthy lunch that isn't vendor food. This has become one of my favorite parts of OSH.

The first couple of years, I spent many hours inspecting every RV on the field. Not so much anymore. Now I enjoy going to look at the Grand Champions and can never resist spending time in front of the Pitts Model 12!

Dinner and beer at the Bros beer tent. Yes, we're the ones that are making all the noise and having a good time until the wee hour of 10:15pm when we finally give out.

Rinse and repeat!

Last edited:
Don't forget to hit Scott's wife up for some cookies before everyone else empties the supply. :)

As for the arrival. Cake walk. Just go through the procedure and build yourself a Foreflight route. Easy peasy. Now squeaking the landing with a few thousand of us watching and grading you....well, that's up to you. Personally, I prefer a little drama...but don't bend anything.

Sunburn and Insects

I have a nurse friend who has occasionally volunteered at Oshkosh. She says the two most common Oshkosh maladies are swollen lips and sunburn. In other words, lip balm and sunscreen are essential. She also mentions not to forget some DEET insect repellent as Wisconsin is one of the deer tick capitals of the U.S. Remember to spray your shoes, socks, and lower pant legs. If you?re ground camping, watch out! :eek:

info

I have flown in many times but this year will be my first taking my wife. She hasnt been there since the building days over 5 years ago when we drove every year with the trailer and kids.

Take chairs, the more comfy the better had some short fold up ones but they died so this year will be the less comfortable fit in a small bag chairs. Great for airshow and sitting by plane.

Water bottle, shade hat, lotion and bug spray as have said. I suggest a backpack, as i find having some snacks and water etc on my back is great...and better than plastic bags etc.

I do like Scotts comments about the cooler and food. I will have to look into the ice daily thing....wife would love that. The food at vendors is HORRIBLE and when you are tired and hot and hungry....nothing makes you feel crappier than greasy junk fast food. Also water shoes or sandles for the shower and a beach towel is great..they get kind of nasty later in the week.

Everything else can be bought. If camping, a decent tent that is cool, and dry works well, and light sleeping bags as its usually 100 degrees at night. Hand held com is fun to have to listen to the active if you enjoy the parade.

Enjoy the show.

VERY COMFORTABLE walking shoes...you are going to cover some serious miles...yes, miles.

Have good tie-downs (flyties for me) and use them properly, the afternoon t-storms that roll through every afternoon can get exciting.

Prepare well, study the NOTAM...practice some slow flight at 90 kts and below, and you'll be fine for the approach. Be prepared for the guy ahead of you to be flying a speed slower than 90 kts...not sure why that is, but it happens. And as Bill said, get ready for the largest audience ever to watch you land. But thats part of the fun...when the controller says, "welcome to Oshkosh"...it is sweet music.

Other than that, the advice you are getting is good stuff. The first visit is always a, "holy moly, this is cool" moment.

When in doubt, jump on a tram! It's farther than you think! (or flag down a golf cart, or courtesy car) Rant: Seriously cart mafia, give someone a lift!

Camping:
  • Bring a length of light rope in case you need a field expedient clothes line. You can only hang so much on the prop.
  • Ponchos
  • Headlamp for night porta-potty visits. (watch out for skunks!)
  • I have a battery powered fan that hangs in the tent (ty-wraps(!)) that provides just enough breeze to make a warm night a bit less stuffy. Also has a small flood light. Handy.
  • Ear plugs (let them party, you can sleep)
  • Stuff others have mentioned.

- 2 bath towels
- $250 cash + plastic
- chargers for the phone, tablet, etc
- well broke-in shoes
- a laundry bag or just toss those old tighty whiteys, t-shirts, 'n socks

2 shirts
2 pair shorts
2 pair socks
2 pair under ware (3 if arrive during very busy time and follow in someone that has not read the Notam)
2 towels (one for you and one for plane)
Most comfortable shoes ever made
2 bottles max spf sunscreen
2 bottles max strength bug repellant
Tie downs
Big floppy hat that shades top of ears
Bible to pray on that a big midwestern thunder storm misses OSH.
Big smile to meet all the friendly people

Last edited:
I'd say the biggest are a water bottle (for frequent fill ups) and some sun screen. Good shoes are a must. Much walking to be done. I have a long list of stuff I bring every year like a chair, umbrella from the sun, blanket for laying under the wing in the shade, etc. I think most folks have covered the basics. Oh yea, the NOTAM. It's not hard to get it into your brain but there's always someone who mucks the thing up. Just don't be that guy. It's not hard and quite exhilarating when you land and you hear "Welcome to the show."

Bring a small "day pack" with a water bladder. That will give you some place to put all the little things you pickup and you will always have a sip of water handy.

You can always use it to bring your "supplies" to the shower with you.

Another important item to pack is your patience and sense of humor. It can get crazy out there, just pay attention and don't let it get to you. In the spirit of preparing for Oshkosh, here is a quote I shamelessly copied from eaaforums.org.

?Twas the week before Oshkosh

?Twas the week before Oshkosh, when all thro? the house
Every creature was scurrying even the mouse;

The campers? checklists were consulted and gear was piled high.
The tent and stakes, and clothes to stay dry.

Clothes for warm weather as well as for cold.
Because there are four seasons at Oshkosh we?re told.

Each of the piles was weighed and checked twice.
To be within CG would really be nice.

All in to the plane it was stacked very tall.
Two quarts of oil, tie downs and the tow-bar ?neith all.

The signs VFR and G/VAC were printed big enough to see.
?Probably from the moon if you asked me.

The charts were laid out and a yellow line drawn
With checkpoints from Home base through Ripon.

?Twas the day of departure and the thunder was near.
Will this airplane lift off with all of this gear?

All buckled in and belted down on the ramp with clearance in hand.
A bathroom break is the little one?s demand.

Now back in the airplane all ready to go
And it is 10 degrees hotter than a half hour ago.

Down the runway we roll as the edge lights turn amber
Into the air we all clamor.

Our transponder to standby as the checkpoints pass under.
We watch the building cumulonimbus with ?wonder?

We agree with our friend, since this seems the norm
The ?definition of Midwest is thunder storm?.

With the NOTAM clenched in one sweaty fist
We fly over Ripon and watch traffic emerge from the mist.

As we follow the tracks at 90 knots and 1800 feet.
The Fisk controller. comes on; we rock or wings without a peep.

?Turn right for 36 Left then monitor twenty six point six??
?Speed up, hit the yellow dot, then into the grass!?

We stop on the taxiway and clean up the plane
Carb heat and flaps, now where is that sign?

We sigh with relief, we made it again.
Make sure the sign isn?t written in pen.

The volunteer in orange has been patiently waiting.
Our aircraft and sign information relating.

To more volunteers on down the line
?My mags and master are off, this spot will be fine?.

We make sure to tie her down, tight
then put up our tent and bed down for the night.

To dream of doughnuts and breakfasts at Tall Pines.
Of meeting Bob Hoover and Aeromart finds.

Here?s to waking up to the sounds of a rooster?s call
Have a safe flight and ?Happy AirVenture? to all!

One of the most cherished things I had was a solar phone charger with an internal battery. I just left it clipped to the tent all day and it charged our phones at night. They have charging stations but they have long lines and so many units plugged in the current flow was sloooooow, and the charging stations are often downwind of the honey pots as you stand there waiting for the stupid thing to charge. Some people would just leave their phones for a while and come back later. I didn't hear of any thefts, but I did hear of peeps unplugging someone else's phone to plug theirs in. Plus there is always a battle for charging shelf space as the phones compete with laptops, camping lights, tent fans, jumper batteries, kindles, flashlights, and a few items I didn't want to know what they were. If it has a rechargable battery, you'll see it piled up on the charging shelf.

Don't forget to hit Scott's wife up for some cookies before everyone else empties the supply. :)
Hey, her call sign might be "Cookie", but NO hitting on my wife :). Cookies only last an hour or so after landing, so run fast unless you know yourself to be of the "important" class :).

Backpack

Another tip
Sweetie and I each carry a mesh backpack. The security folks can see through them. They weigh nothing and carry a the stuff others posted plus all the swag we pick up.

Hey thanks a lot everybody! This is good, and helpful information. Oh and loved the Christmas like poem Bill. This first trip does feel a little like Christmas, and can't wait to see all the surprises. Maybe I'll even get to sit on Santas lap when I get there and talk about all the cool avionics I have on my wish list.

Looking forward to meeting many of you. Thanks again.

Roger

Maybe I'll even get to sit on Santas lap when I get there and talk about all the cool avionics I have on my wish list.

Maybe Dan Horton will volunteer to be Santa, haha. Just kidding, good ideas guys. Look forward to flying up with you Roger G!

OSH

Ill like to add:

Tarp. One for below your tent and one small one for the top.

Clorox Wipes..you will need them in case of unscheduled BR emergency use...OSH does a good job keeping all of them clean, but.......

.baby wipes as well for a good refreshing mopping! As someone mentioned...OSH TP is tough as nails!

One more

Get one of the easy to figure maps, spend a few with it, while you have a cold beer and a hightlighter. Mark your camp spot. Have a look and understand the diff trams colours and where they do and dont go. If plane camping, find the showers, cans, and water stations and even wifi spots if from out of country like me. Find SOS bros tent, find the bus parking lot where the church food stand is. The x roads work very well when tired and trying to expedite a retreat to the tent! Even looking at how to get to end of back 40 camping so you can sneak out the fence hole to the real world for a decent meal is nice to plan out ahead.

If you understand the layout...you will find what you are looking for, have shuttles close when gassed, not get lost, and have somewhat decent food if needed without being stuck eating $10 gut bombs.

Its a big place. Have a bit of a plan until you get the lay of the land. A pair of decent binoculars is handy too...those, a lawn chair and a scanner is a ton of fun when its busy and you just want to enjoy the craziness of the flight line.

Last edited:
Myron- which type solar charger did you get? I've noticed many brands marketed and most not rated very high.

One of the most cherished things I had was a solar phone charger with an internal battery. I just left it clipped to the tent all day and it charged our phones at night. They have charging stations but they have long lines and so many units plugged in the current flow was sloooooow, and the charging stations are often downwind of the honey pots as you stand there waiting for the stupid thing to charge. Some people would just leave their phones for a while and come back later. I didn't hear of any thefts, but I did hear of peeps unplugging someone else's phone to plug theirs in. Plus there is always a battle for charging shelf space as the phones compete with laptops, camping lights, tent fans, jumper batteries, kindles, flashlights, and a few items I didn't want to know what they were. If it has a rechargable battery, you'll see it piled up on the charging shelf.

I got the solar monkey. It was rated highest in one of the outdoor magazines.

One's without an internal battery are worthless. Fully charged, this unit will charge up two depleted Iphones or half of an Ipad. (does a better job on the top half of an ipad than the bottom). It will charge anything with a USB cord. Charged wifey's Kindle right up. Fully charged and in the sun it works even better. It will take most of a sunny day to fully charge but you can also plug it in if an opportunity arises. I have been quite happy with it and glad I had it at OSH last year. Sitting at the plane with it on the wing, I had several cash offers for a charge up.

It is a little tempermental on cords and likes the genuine iphone cables better than knockoffs. Sometimes the device you are charging will say "not charging" and you have to unplug and replug. It definitely doesn't like fully depleted Ipads and can't run one directly with no charge on itself, but it does just fine on a iphone. It got us through the week just fine and it has a prominent spot in my flight bag. It fits nicely on the glareshield to top off on your way (if you don't have a 12V plug on the panel).

Last edited:
Two Items..
You can not take it all but almost....
My wife Packs a big 3X2X2 1/2 box with the goodies that make the trip nice for her.... air bed, sheets,, fans, LED lights, Fluffy pillows, Frog Togs Rain wear snacks.
You get the idea... then ships it to Oshkosh from her work.... very cheap using her company UPS to ship it... like 20 dollars.
In the plane we only take the necessities incase the box does not arrive.
tie down stakes, tent, chairs. sleeping bags. cloths for a couple of days. shower items.
If your flying in....to MKE. call UHaul... and reserve a moving truck... cheap....
Load up your big suitcases with everything for camping and then You can drive up to Camp Scholler(SP)
and park in camping..... and have a ramp to get up into the truck... take an extension cord with you for the nice things. If you need to run to town... just unhook and go... a week for a UHaul is about 400 dollars but a Motorhome rented in Milwalkee is almost 1700 for a week.... .
Just a couple items...
Jack

Last edited:
What everyone else said about good shoes--------------BELIEVE them.

Mole skin ------if you tend to get blisters.

Food there is extremely expensive, so be prepared.

Realize up front that you can not see it all in only a short time-------takes the entire week to do it right. If you are going for a short stay, make up a "must see" list and map out your route. If you plan to do any forums----------plan them well, as they are huge time eaters.

Good luck, its gonna open your eyes :eek:

Instead of bath towels, we took those super absorbent "sham wow" things to dry off after a shower. Not real comfortable, but effective and sure saved a bunch of room/weight.

Back