What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Already in the doghouse with the wife

propsync

Well Known Member
Apparently this decided to turn on last night around 2:30 while I was away. It's right below the bedroom :D

She couldn't find the off button so she just unplugged it. I went to hammer a rivet and it just wouldn't flatten. That was the first clue.:rolleyes:

6zy83t.jpg

Then, I found this by door going back in the house.

2uqlz12.jpg

It's a word document if anyone wants it.

Been there. Including a similar sign.

Started training the wife a long time before the plane project (with other things like custom MCs and other man cave stuff). She knows how to turn it off. :rolleyes:

But.. as I'm sure you know, it ain't free. My penance is I have to keep her sewing habit fed with zillion dollar European hardware. :eek:

I got good interior parts out of the deal. :D

1238091_10101417687285229_1438421764_n.jpg

Last edited:
I try (and usually fail) to remember to turn my compressor off when I leave the shop/garage for the night. It's not too bad, though, and it seems the only one it ever bothers is me.

Timer?

Why not just put it on a timer that turns on in the morning and off at night? Anything you can possibly do to keep the SO happy is a good thing...

During the garage portion my building process, my 220v air compressor was on the same circuit as the home hot water heater.... It could not run both at the same time without poping the breaker. So I would turn OFF the Hot Water heater while useing the compressor. I never forgot to turn off the compressor, But I did forget to turn the water heater back on a couple of times until My wife put a big " HOT WATER" sign on the door back into the house.

Next door neighbour

I forgot to turn it off and got a call at 2am from next door. The shed where I was building is next to his bedroom window. I put my own sign up and never forgot again.

Jim

She's a keeper

I forgot to turn it off and got a call at 2am from next door. The shed where I was building is next to his bedroom window. I put my own sign up and never forgot again.

Jim

I also left my compressor on while I was on business. When I got home those eyes could have welded 4130.

Paul & Mary
N277PM
Lafayette In
Paid 2013

Sounds like a lot of you need to chase down some air leaks.

Or put a valve on the tank outlet.

and another thing....

One timer for the compressor, and another one that beeps, weekly or otherwise...... & states
" buy flower/chocolates for the long-suffering spouse"
and/or
"take her to a nice restaurant". wear a tie.
etc. :)

a bit anal retentive

My way is a bit better for the tank...turn off and release the air every day. Allow it to drain condensate and leave the drain open. Your tank will last a lot longer. If you live in high humidity area and "never" drain it, you will see cycle times rise. Then you wonder why its running 100%...the water will collect and effectively reduce the tank capacity.

Why not just put it on a timer that turns on in the morning and off at night? Anything you can possibly do to keep the SO happy is a good thing...

Most timers you'll find won't handle the load unless you have a very small compressor, however you can find higher capacity models if you look hard enough. I have one that will handle 15 amps.

My way is a bit better for the tank...turn off and release the air every day. Allow it to drain condensate and leave the drain open. Your tank will last a lot longer. If you live in high humidity area and "never" drain it, you will see cycle times rise. Then you wonder why its running 100%...the water will collect and effectively reduce the tank capacity.

That's the way I run my compressor, but I know people who never seem to drain their tank. If you have a cheap compressor the moving parts will probably wear out before the tank rusts through, but I bought one that I hope will last for many years and I do all that I can to make sure it does.

The real danger of leaving the compressor on unattended is a ruptured hose, then the subsequent 100% duty-cycle and fire. Yes, the likelihood is low, but the risk very high...why chance it? Be safe, Jim

Just wait until you come in and sit down on her new couch with Proseal on your pants. :eek:

doghouse

That's why you build a nice doghouse.....

and then rent it out to help pay for diapers.... anybody need space? 62GA, make offer for monthly rent to flying or project RV. 3k long grass North/South

Last edited:
proseal

Yep. She was pissed! At least it was still comfortable to sleep on...

Did she ask how you managed to get proseal on your backside?

Also
+1 on the valve.
Mine gets pretty hot during a priming session. I'll bet it could catch fire if left running.

Timer

A timer ie easily doable, just buy a water heater timer, available at lowes,home depot etc. I personally went to a bit of trouble to get my system sealed good and leave mine on. I do keep an eye out for the quick connectors on the hose they tend to leak sometimes. I don't think anyone would notice if mine was on, my shop is stand alone and insulated.

Bird

Back