What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

need help ident. engine.

bret

Well Known Member
so i am new to lycomings and came across a great deal on a old mooney, ( possable engine doner for my 7A) what should i look fore, thanks. Bret

Mooneys

I have an engine from an early Mooney for my -8. I haven't split the case yet. The very earliest Mooneys were wood wing airplanes and the first couple of years had O-320 engines. Starting somewhere around 1957 or 8 they changed to the O-360-A1A. These are narrow deck engines.

What model/year Mooney are you looking at?

Some money's had o-360-a1f6d engines I think. This engine has the infamous "dual mag" two mags in one case with a single drive.

While this isn't really an issue if you are going to be using one or two electronic ignitions, be aware that the accessory case is different enough that oil filter 90 degree adapters or remote oil filters will not fit. Neither will some vacuum pad mounted alternators such as the b&c sd20 or the plane power unit. The b&c sd8 fits fine.

If these aren't an issue for you, then they could be excellent negotiating points to get the price down.

Ok, just drove out and looked at It, the log book says Lycoming o-360 -A1D l-4416-36. It is also turbo normalized 1965 model, sat for two years in the Nevada high desert. And the thing that got my atention.........$ 2,800.00 for the entire aircraft!

Sounds excellent!

I'd make sure that it has a good pedigree and also trace the owners down thru escrow and Oklahoma City. I'm kind of leery of any deal that good. Minimum you have to do is verify the above and tear down the engine. Also recommend checking the pedigrees on any glass instruments, etc. You don't want to end up with 'hot' parts, etc.

Please let us know how this turns out - you may have found the rare great deal!! Hope so.

Ok, just drove out and looked at It, the log book says Lycoming o-360 -A1D l-4416-36. It is also turbo normalized 1965 model, sat for two years in the Nevada high desert. And the thing that got my atention.........$ 2,800.00 for the entire aircraft!

A turbo normalized '65 Mark 21? Never heard of such. The turbo must be aftermarket.

The Mark 21 had a parallel valve carbed 180.
The Super 21 had an angle valve horizontal injected 200. (Grew up in that plane):). My first rivet bucking was in the tail cone of that thing.

Mooney

Sounds like a M20C with a aftermarket Rayjay turbocharger and a early s/n engine. If you have the time, patience and space you may be able to get FWF things you can use and part out the rest. The logs and any STC paper work add value.

Don B

Yes on M20 C and aftermarket turbo, he has all the log books, would this be a good deal, I can't ever find a Lyc core for under 5K, and a CS prop to boot.

Prop

The prop probably has the light hub and isn't worth much. What you do have to remember is that there is an entire airplane there and every part on the plane has a value. Instruments, wheels and brakes, control surfaces, radios, and on and on and on. You can't go wrong if you are willing to put some effort into peddling the parts.

If you are not experienced in buying and selling airplanes, you do need to have a lien search done. This will cost you around $75.00 give or take. I would recommend this even if you intend to part out the airframe.

Last edited:
one thing to think about is that I don't believe that the wing comes off the fuse on the m20, so transportation could be an issue if it is not airworthy.

the o360 a1d is a good engine i have one in my 4, I believe the only difference in the a1a and the a1d is the a1d had a bendix shower of sparks mag.

bob burns
rv-4 N82RB

Mooney

The wing does come off and it is one piece so you would have to haul a appx 35' long item plus it's a lot of work. If you are going to haul it leave the wing on and drill out the rivets on the bulkhead just aft of the baggage compartment and separate the tail cone from the fuselage. It will fit on a trailer sideways like this and on its gear so much easier to handle. If it was me and I could buy it for the advertised price I would remove everything I wanted and leave the rest. You could afford to donate/sell/dispose of the carcass to a salvage co or mooney rebuilder where it sits.

Don
RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Removing the Mooney wing

And.......If you remove the wing you will need to disconnect the main landing gear as they are manual. There are some pretty hefty springs in that system.

I removed the wing from an early Mooney in about 15 minutes. It was a wood wing and I did it with a chain saw :eek: I highly recommend this method :D

I hope Brett buys this thing so we can all hear about his adventure retrieving the airplane.

Parts

I would have bought it before I left so he couldnt change his mind .No way to go wrong on that deal even if the engine is bad you could make out.
Bob

Back