What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What would a CS Hartzell, "A" model hub, with fresh inspection sell for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prop Job

I'm considering upgrading to the newer BA design and was curious as to how much mine would go for.

Specs:

HC-C2YK-1BF
"A" model hub
500 TT
No damage history
0 time since eddy current, penetrant, and optical comparator inspection

Thanks,

Alex

The A hub is generally worthless, but if the blades still fall within standard spec, they are worth about $3,500 a set with a fresh O/H.

Interested in getting an older CS prop for RV6A

I'm interested in HC-C2YL-1BF, with blades F 7663-4.

Thanks!

Carl
N229RV(at) yahoo (dot) com

I'll check the blade numbers some time this weekend. If I remember correctly, they're F series blades but can't remember the specific number. I can make out the last 4 digits in one of my photos. It looks like 66A-4. I'm thinking they're F7666A-4.

The "A" series hub is affected by AD 2001-23-08 and HC-SB-61-227 which said to replace with a "B" series hub by 2000 hrs or 24 Dec 2006 and to do 100 hr eddy current inspections until then. Being that we're experimental we're not required to comply with the AD, but would still be wise to comply with the hour requirement in my opinion.

Last edited:
The "A" series hub is affected by AD 2001-23-08 and HC-SB-61-227 which said to replace with a "B" series hub by 2000 hrs or 24 Dec 2006 and to do 100 hr eddy current inspections until then. Being that we're experimental we're not required to comply with the AD, but would still be wise to comply with the hour requirement in my opinion.

This is where they mag flux the hub for cracks right? Is there any way to visually look at one of these hubs for signs of issues? Or any way to know what type of flying increases chances of these issues? (i.e. aerobatics?)

Yes these inspections are above and beyond just the standard eddy current, which is designed to identify the microscopic cracks. From my research it seems the only way of visually checking is to look for grease coming out around the base of the blades. This would indicate cracking. There's also some method of putting a 10w oil with a red dye in the hub so you can ID cracks more easily visually. Per the AD and SB they suggest OH at 1000 hrs for aerobatic or agricultural operations.

The eddy current is really not a big deal. It can be done on the plane in a few minutes. Around here the guy will come to your location and do the inspection for $225.

Why is the "A" hub worthless?

As others have said, it's because of the recurring inspection requirement. Yes, we are not "required" to comply with an AD; yes, the inspection itself is not all that painful; and yes, there have been very few actual cases of hub failures among the thousands in the fleet...

But the market has spoken, and you pretty much only have to look at the scrap pile behind any prop shop to see the result. There will be bins full of perfectly good no suffix and "A" suffix hubs waiting for a trip to the recycler.

That is a little miss information. The "A" hub is still quite valuable to people that are running NON acrobatic aircraft under 300HP.

The basic 180HP AD only applies to the E and Non-suffix hubs, therefore an "A" hub would be terminating action for someone with a Mooney or Piper Arrow.

That said, Since "B" hubs go for around $1500-2000, I'd imagine an "A" hub is worth between $700-1000. The rest of the prop is anyone's guess.

There is an FAA finding that experimental aircraft do have to comply with AD's that pertain to their certified components... IE, Engines and Props.

...There is an FAA finding that experimental aircraft do have to comply with AD's that pertain to their certified components... IE, Engines and Props.

That's also misleading... There are no "certified" components on an E-AB aircraft.

That is a little miss information. The "A" hub is still quite valuable to people that are running NON acrobatic aircraft under 300HP.

The basic 180HP AD only applies to the E and Non-suffix hubs, therefore an "A" hub would be terminating action for someone with a Mooney or Piper Arrow.

That said, Since "B" hubs go for around $1500-2000, I'd imagine an "A" hub is worth between $700-1000. The rest of the prop is anyone's guess.

There is an FAA finding that experimental aircraft do have to comply with AD's that pertain to their certified components... IE, Engines and Props.

'A' hubs cannot be used on other aircraft if removed from an aircraft subject to the AD:

From AD 01-23-08
(d) A propeller hub from an aircraft that is identified in the applicability section of this AD may not be removed and reused on an aircraft for which this AD is not applicable.

That's also misleading... There are no "certified" components on an E-AB aircraft.

That is subject to interpretation, the FAA does not agree with you and personally I would not want to argue that in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back