What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

filter source for GoPro

WillyEyeBall

Well Known Member
We've all had the complaint of the bent/distorted/strobing props with the GoPro camera. A Google search on the subject shows that neutral density (dark gray) filters will reduce the effects. You can also find these filters with a Google search of ND filter GoPro. However, you can also find them at your local Dollar store for 4 dollars with the cheap Foster Grant sunglasses. I checked them out at the lab, and they pass military specifications for lens power and distortion for military visors and protective eyewear, but not for prismatic deviations. In other words, I wouldn't wear them, but you can remove the lenses for the GoPro camera. Here's a video link showing the effects of the 15 percent gray lenses on the GoPro, Hero 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YxSOwXEKWE&feature=youtu.be
I also have posted some acro videos on youtube with the filters, but not for the faint of heart.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
Lower Alabama

helps with jello too

The foster grants are a great idea! The neutral density filter slows the shutter speed down (or the digital equivalent i guess), which also helps with "jelloing" you can get in high vibration situations. Your idea shows you don't need to spend a lot of dough to get the benefit.

filter for GoPro

Yes, this is the same idea as the nflightcam filters but I use tape and a rubber band to secure the lens currently. Looks like the monitors cut this thread for some reason, but can answer any questions with a PM.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
lower Alabama:confused:

Yes, this is the same idea as the nflightcam filters but I use tape and a rubber band to secure the lens currently. Looks like the monitors cut this thread for some reason, but can answer any questions with a PM.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
lower Alabama:confused:

Bill, I can't see any indication of moderation of the thread.

I purchased a 3" x 3" neutral density filter on Ebay, less than $3 shipped from China (!!). My plan is to cut it for use on a Drift POV camera. Reducing exposure will definitely help with strobing--my videos shot in lower light at sunset even with no filter have very little strobing. Shooting at 60fps will also help.

Back