What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt 2008 Fastener Kits

NBowers

Skybolt announces 2008 Fastener Kits and Pricing -

For 2008, Skybolt has adjusted all of our Vans RV Cowling Kits to include our newest "Hardened" 303 Stainless Phillips Head Studs. Unlike a competitor's brand, the Skybolt studs will not gall, thus offering much improved service life. The Skybolt CLoc is a true #2 Phillips Head. Our newest fasteners also allow us to adjust our pricing to save you money. Imagine, better quality for less money!

Also for 2008, all Skybolt kits offer optional Mount Strips. Add the appropriate Mount Strip Kit to your Fastener Kit and receive a discount on the per each price per strip.

Call Skybolt at 1-800-223-1963 for pricing and details.

Just got my skybolt fittings. They look great, and should do the job very well on my Long EZ.

I was very dissapointed at the shippping costs however - I thought $92 was a bit rich via UPS when I specifcially requested snail mail for a small bag of 36 fittings. . .

The on-line ordering process failed.

Kits

LongEz:

Unfortunatly, shipping departments of the merchants in the USA are so used to shipping UPS, the request for snail mail goes unseen. Shipping snail mail is out of the ordinary for them, even though the US Postal Service will pick up at their place of business just like UPS. Even for us in the USA, the US Postal Service is much cheaper than the UPS/Fedex route. Maybe with enough complaints, they'll "see the light".

shipping cost

$92.00 IS way too high for a small parcel UNLESS they used an express service(next day,2nd day,etc...)You should contact them and make sure some sort of billing mistake wasn't made-it happens.

The USPS will only pick up from a shipper's location if they are in a large enough geographical area...some places aren't large enough (population wise) for the USPS to merit pick up...

USPS is the best way to go with a small envelope but anything of value (more than $20.00) should be shipped by another method. If you've ever tried to sqeeze blood from a turnip,you know how hard it can be to file and receive a claim form the USPS...

my $.02 worth....

I sell on eBay and use USPS PRIORITY MAIL whenever possible, especially smaller packages. So long as the weight is under 5 pounds and its a small package, I can ship it across the country for under $15,,,,,insurance included with a gaurenteed 2-3 day delivery! Unfortunately, LONGEZ360 is in Austrailia and I have heard that shipping things there from the states IS expensive. $92 does seem out of line though.

Last edited:
It is my strong recommendation that builders do not purchase from Skybolt. Go with mil-spec. Note the shipping costs on my second order (first order for 36 peices cost $92 in freight). They did not correct the issue after my initial complaint.

Here's my second order which you could hold in one hand:

20 x SK215-4 receptacles
Subtotal $81.80
Shipping $93.12
Order Total $174.92

That is absolutely pathetic customer service.

I built my aircraft in Australia (14 years) and in the USA (2 years), and have never experienced these costs from any other supplier.

:mad:

Last edited:
I used to have a Chinese motorcycle (1938 BMW clone with side hack, way cool bike) and would get parts from a shop in Bejing. Parcel post would get to me in less than a week and it seemed like shipping was around $20 for packages about the size you got. Don

Freight Charges to Australia

From time to time I do a search on the forums to see what questions are out there that I might be able to shed some light on plus it is a learning opportunity to see interesting ways of using and installing Skybolt CLoc fasteners. Just when I thought I knew all there is to know, I learn something else. One lesson learned is that the forums can be constructive and destructive. The destructive nature is just that. However, it is a very powerful way for the customer to express an opinion and, like it or not, I listen.
I stumbled onto a sale we processed back in February to ?longez360? where freight charges to Australia were $92.08 via UPS. This set off a barrage of ?bad service? forums. Skybolt has not been in business for 26 years priding ourselves on bad service so I looked into the matter to see just how bad the charges really were. Fast forward: My conclusion is that we indeed provided ?bad service? and what is really bad, it took 7 months for me to get in the middle of it. That is bad and none of us at Skybolt take pride in anything bad.
To even make an attempt to right a wrong, the first thing I did was to see exactly what the UPS charges are to Australia for a 1.4 pound package worth $340.20. Today?s charges are not $93.12, the same package today is $103.54!
But ?longez360? clearly requested Air Parcel Post, but we sent it UPS. Looking up the USPS charges, the most efficient rate was $38.95 plus$6.20 for insurance, or $45.15. My immediate response is to credit ?longez360? for the difference and my personal apology for the UPS charges, especially the time it took for a response.
For what it is worth, there is a reason that many companies avoid the USPS. One major reason has to do with what happens when a package is lost or damaged. (Note: It is not my purpose to beat up the US Postal Service, because they normally do a great job). When a package goes AWAL, the customer does not receive his parts and looks to the provider (us) to find the parts or re-ship replacements. Typically, if a company is paramount on customer service, especially in the aerospace business, we duplicate the order and re-ship while the freight forwarder attempts to settle the claim. Our experience is that a USPS claim can take forever and a day costing us money that we may not see in return. That is one huge reason that most businesses use UPS or FEDX; they are good at finding or settling a lost parcel. Now imagine how many lost or damaged parcels we may experience in a week?s time. It is a real expense that must be carefully managed while attempting to keep the customer happy. For most international customers, we grin and bare the risk to try and keep the shipping costs reasonable. In this case, it went through the system via UPS by mistake.
Another issue with USPS is that the shipments fall out of our normal routine (poor excuse, but it happens). We must place an employee in a car to drive to the Post Office. That is a cost with a ton of hidden costs. Therefore, it becomes a challenge that every supplier faces, to balance real costs with good customer service. We do not make a dime (at the end of the day) on shipping UPS, FEDX, or the USPO. At the end of the day, we break even on UPS and FEDX and loose, sometimes more than one would think, on USPS shipments. Again, that is for us to resolve and is not intended to be an excuse for this particular instance?.and others as well. We make mistakes and we are guilty of poor customer service, but we are also very guilty of tremendous customer service 99.9% of the time.
I have seen a ton of chatter about a competitor who shipped replacement parts free (as far as Australia). Skybolt also ships parts for free (our vendors sure don?t) if we know we messed up or promised but did not deliver. Again, my job is to minimize those kinds of costs so that we can remain in business for the next 26 years. I just hope Skybolt can gain as much press as our competitor did when he shipped replacement parts for free that were, basically defective or just plain would not work. (It seems I caught the bad press as a nasty competitor for pointing out the parts would not work in the first place, they did not, thus setting off the free replacement blitz?..what a cruel world). How great the community is to acknowledge the great customer service because of the free freight but forgot all about the reason for the second shipment to begin with. Skybolt spends a ton of energy figuring out the right part the 1st time. Maybe it has been too long since we received the free freight (Oops) publicity.
With all that has been said, I am prepared to take my beating on this one (over and above what has already been said). But while you provide the beating, be rest assured, I plan to go on making and developing the best fasteners in the business and strive to do the best possible job for you the customer. And for all the kind replies??Free Freight!

Regards,

Ned Bowers, President
Skybolt
(Former Founder-Owner-President, Milspec Products)

I appreciate Ned Bower's response. I also appreciate the $58.88 credited back to me on 9/24 and confirmed in my account on 9/30.

On the basis of the response, the secure freight dilemma for suppliers is clearly a difficult one, and I sympathise with Mr Bowers. It is my contention that International freight charges should be quoted prior to dispatch so the prospective buyer can weigh up the costs.

I have Skybolt C-locs with adjustable receptacles in place on my Long EZ, and am enjoying all published operational benefits they provide over standard camlocs or alternate removable fastener options.

I sincerely wish Mr Bowers and Skybolt absolute success for the next 26 years.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back