What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X installation with GTX 345R and Com 2 Display

Configuring the above on an dual screen IFR RV14
At the moment I am unable to resolve two issues during the initial system configuration.
The GTN and the PFD are unable to find the 345R and the Com 2. The Com 2 is a non Garmin Trig TY 91 with a Control Head. The ADSB element of the 345R is correctly configured and appropriately displayed with a green tick. The transponder and Com 2 have red crosses.
The radio and Transponder are wired as per the appropriate LRU pages in the Garmin G3x manual Ver M. Have not reviewed N yet. The Com is appropriately wired via a GMA 245 and linked to the GDU as per the Trig Garmin interface instructions for both the 245 and the 460. Nothing however is displayed on the Com 2 position on the RHS of the 460. The radio Tx and receives and selects correctly via the 245. The 650coms works and displays correctly.
Re the 345R, This has been software updated via the USB interface with Windows 7 and configured as best I can utilising the Garmin PC based software. As a experimental builder installing a certified transponder I have found this interface difficult to utilise with little guidance apart from the single page in the G3x installation guidance manual. There is more info on the web for the 345 than the 345R, hence is it possible to give further guidance for the 345R initial configuration for installation into an experimental G3x setup? The 460 set up gives some install elements for the 345R on the Transponder page but still does not display the 345R correctly. The Garmin PC based software only refers to the 345 and not the R?
I will eventually configure the AT1 ADSB to perform traffic deconfliction incl of FLARM rather than the 345Rs ADSB feed because of the limitation on a single ADSB feed to the 460? Have also tried to configure just through the 460 and leave the 650xi Ethernet connection off utilising the 232 connections to the GDU 25 and 460? All software latest version apart from April 21 460 update
Any help appreciated .

GTX Configuration

Configuring the above on an dual screen IFR RV14
At the moment I am unable to resolve two issues during the initial system configuration.
The GTN and the PFD are unable to find the 345R and the Com 2. The Com 2 is a non Garmin Trig TY 91 with a Control Head. The ADSB element of the 345R is correctly configured and appropriately displayed with a green tick. The transponder and Com 2 have red crosses.
The radio and Transponder are wired as per the appropriate LRU pages in the Garmin G3x manual Ver M. Have not reviewed N yet. The Com is appropriately wired via a GMA 245 and linked to the GDU as per the Trig Garmin interface instructions for both the 245 and the 460. Nothing however is displayed on the Com 2 position on the RHS of the 460. The radio Tx and receives and selects correctly via the 245. The 650coms works and displays correctly.
Re the 345R, This has been software updated via the USB interface with Windows 7 and configured as best I can utilising the Garmin PC based software. As a experimental builder installing a certified transponder I have found this interface difficult to utilise with little guidance apart from the single page in the G3x installation guidance manual. There is more info on the web for the 345 than the 345R, hence is it possible to give further guidance for the 345R initial configuration for installation into an experimental G3x setup? The 460 set up gives some install elements for the 345R on the Transponder page but still does not display the 345R correctly. The Garmin PC based software only refers to the 345 and not the R?
I will eventually configure the AT1 ADSB to perform traffic deconfliction incl of FLARM rather than the 345Rs ADSB feed because of the limitation on a single ADSB feed to the 460? Have also tried to configure just through the 460 and leave the 650xi Ethernet connection off utilising the 232 connections to the GDU 25 and 460? All software latest version apart from April 21 460 update
Any help appreciated .

Here is a link to the most recent revision of the G3X Touch Installation Manual:
https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01115-01_an.pdf

If you have a GTX 345R connected to a G3X Touch, you will not use the PC Tool for any reason. It is not compatible with this type of installation and you will not be able to properly configure the system. In this specific installation, all of the configuration for the GTX is done by and through the G3X Touch. The transponder configuration menu in G3X Touch configuration mode will provide you with all of the fields you are required to enter to allow these two units to work alongside one another.

The system should be wired and configured as shown on page 27-35 of the AN revision of the installation manual. It may be best to start there and make sure everything is set up as shown.

Once you have all of the transponder fields entered through the GDU, please let us know what if any errors you are seeing, so we can more specifically hone in on any potential problems.

We have not done any testing with the Trig radio, I do not have any troubleshooting experience with that unit to draw off of. My understanding is that it is capable of communicating using the SL40 protocol, the details of which are included in the GTR 200 Installation Manual. You may want to reach out to them for some advice, there may be some software level changes involved on the radio side.

Thanks,

Justin

Just curious, would there be any advantage from controlling the 345R via the 650 vs the G3X?

GTX 345R GDU 460

Here is a link to the most recent revision of the G3X Touch Installation Manual:
https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01115-01_an.pdf

If you have a GTX 345R connected to a G3X Touch, you will not use the PC Tool for any reason. It is not compatible with this type of installation and you will not be able to properly configure the system. In this specific installation, all of the configuration for the GTX is done by and through the G3X Touch. The transponder configuration menu in G3X Touch configuration mode will provide you with all of the fields you are required to enter to allow these two units to work alongside one another.

The system should be wired and configured as shown on page 27-35 of the AN revision of the installation manual. It may be best to start there and make sure everything is set up as shown.

Once you have all of the transponder fields entered through the GDU, please let us know what if any errors you are seeing, so we can more specifically hone in on any potential problems.

We have not done any testing with the Trig radio, I do not have any troubleshooting experience with that unit to draw off of. My understanding is that it is capable of communicating using the SL40 protocol, the details of which are included in the GTR 200 Installation Manual. You may want to reach out to them for some advice, there may be some software level changes involved on the radio side.

Thanks,

Justin

Justine shall I start by utilising the PC tool to zero all the configuration fields in the 345R and then attempt a configuration through the GDU 460? Mike

Back