What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Checking off the bucket list

rvanstory

Well Known Member
After my dads passing, my mom remarried about 3 years ago. Her husband is a veteran and worked as an aircraft mechanic in the air force for 37 years! He loves airplanes! Surprisingly, in all that time of working on airplanes, he has NEVER had the chance to fly in a small aircraft or to take the control stick of one. He's 6'7" and because of his height, the air force wouldn't let him in cockpit of a jet with a pilot. His head would hit the canopy and his knees would be in the way in the event of a needed evacuation. The smallest plane he's ever flown in was a DC-3. So, flying an airplane has been on his bucket list for a long time.

Wednesday I had the privilege of giving him his first ride in a small airplane!! It's not easy for an 81 year old that's 6'7" to get into an RV-10. But gravity was our friend and guess what.... HE FIT!!! His legs could get under the control panel and his head didn't hit the cabin top! So, off we went!

We flew about 40 minutes around the caprock in Post, TX. He took the controls and flew the plane with some turns as well as straight and level. He LOVED it! Now he gets to check that off his list. After the flight, gravity was not our friend, but he was able to get out of the plane and has had a huge RV grin ever since! What an honor to be able to give this gift to one of our veterans! I LOVE flying RV's!!!

Attachments

• ms1oUHMmQPqItvYstUEZZA.jpg
    ms1oUHMmQPqItvYstUEZZA.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 311
  • lprjn8IuRR+GX+japV+isg.jpg
    lprjn8IuRR+GX+japV+isg.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 286
  • gvy8EHGgQsmxE7ALNNQevw.jpg
    gvy8EHGgQsmxE7ALNNQevw.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 299
  • z4piLIrfT2mBDiA52JXM+Q.jpg
    z4piLIrfT2mBDiA52JXM+Q.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Very nice! One more reason that the RV-10 is one of the most coveted airplane’s on the ramp.

Much too special of an event to have to turn our heads sideways to enjoy... fixed it for you!

Attachments

• lprjn8IuRR+GX+japV+isg.jpg
    lprjn8IuRR+GX+japV+isg.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 145
  • z4piLIrfT2mBDiA52JXM+Q.jpg
    z4piLIrfT2mBDiA52JXM+Q.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 146
Much too special of an event to have to turn our heads sideways to enjoy... fixed it for you!

THANK YOU! I know this has to be simple, but I cannot always get it to work??? I'll edit and rotate the pic on my computer, but it still comes out sideways at times. I cannot even put my finger on why or when. It seems random. Sometimes pics are "fine", at other times, they are turned sideways once downloaded. Any insights would be welcomed.

Back