What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Dynon panel going into my -6a very soon

pylotttt

New Dynon panel going into my -6a very soon. I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations for final layout.

Also looking for recommendations for labeling. I an planning on doing a carbon fiber overlay on the panel and would like nice text.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pylotttt/50728532001/in/dateposted-public/

dateposted-public

Why not use the dynon transponder and save that panel space?

I prefer flaps, fuel pump right above the throttle so that you can turn them on/off without looking and moving far from the throttle. (aka landing/takeoff).

KISS, we just did a Dynon panel for a friend. Far Left side was starting, master, mags. Center right above the throttle were 5 switches that did everything else needed. Strobes, Position, Flaps, Fuel Pump, landing.

Just talked to him today and he loves it.

My airplane is very similar, but the last one we did improved on what I learned. I also like to have radio bottom button easy to reach without looking for freq. changes.

My panel is Dynon but my intercom is Garmin. While I have never used the Dynon intercom system, I can say the Garmin is amazing. IMO it was really worth the extra expense.

Why not use the dynon transponder and save that panel space?

I prefer flaps, fuel pump right above the throttle so that you can turn them on/off without looking and moving far from the throttle. (aka landing/takeoff).

KISS, we just did a Dynon panel for a friend. Far Left side was starting, master, mags. Center right above the throttle were 5 switches that did everything else needed. Strobes, Position, Flaps, Fuel Pump, landing.

Just talked to him today and he loves it.

My airplane is very similar, but the last one we did improved on what I learned. I also like to have radio bottom button easy to reach without looking for freq. changes.

Who did your panel cutout? Did they put in the nutplates?

I have been flying my RV10 behind a dual screen HDX for almost 60 hours, so I am in no way an expert in its operation and I keep learning new things about it capability on each flight.

The knob panel is used the most so put it in the position that you feel will be the easiest to get to. Most likely on the left. I then the AP and Com are used about the same, with the AP panel being used only slightly more. My audio panel (Garmin) is used the least frequently. Although the AP and Com functions can easily be accessed through the screens, I rarely use the screen. The panels are in clear view and just easier to get to. Also, I look at the screen on the Com to confirm confirm frequencies even though that information is also on the HDX. Since all the Dynon panels fit in the same panel cut out you can easily re orient where they go if you find it necessary, just leave enough service loop in the few wires to the panels and it would be an easy change.

You definitely want those USB ports in the panel. You will be updating maps often and also using the ports to download engine/flight data.

Do you need some sort of Aux power port on your panel to charge your phone, ipad, etc?

Is an IFR navigator or second com of some sort going to be added anytime in the future? Would you need a new panel design or should you plan some space for it now?

Back in 2013 I went with a full DYNON SkyView panel and would do it all over again.

2019 Upgraded Panel Up.jpg

Define what you want if money were no object, plan for it and build it as your finances allow. Treat it as a marathon, not a sprint.

;)

Last edited:
Ditch they key, go with individual toggles for each mag and a momentary toggle (or pushbutton) for starter. Interlock the starter to one of the mag switches, or add a hidden "starter enable" switch behind the panel if you're worried about it. Having a keychain swinging around on your panel will leave scratches and a roll could catch up the keys and turn the switch off.

I second the recommendation for a remote-mounted transponder. If you already have the 327, I seem to recall that it can be remote mounted and controlled with an EFIS... Someone here will know for sure.

I would be inclined to put the breakers on a drop-down panel so they're out-of-sight, but that's just me.

Otherwise, it looks like a nice layout!

One thing I’d suggest is moving the 4 Dynon “Knob Panels” around and leave room for an IFR navigator for future upgrades. Once you take up that space, it’ll be hard to get back. The Dynon audio panel wont be used much. That can go on the far left side or place a horizontal COM above a screen.

Back