What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-10 Builder on the Ramp

RJornd

Hey, y'all! I'm Raymond.

About 25 years ago, I put flying on the shelf to focus on raising my family. Well, I'm back and going for my PPL all the way this time.

However, this old sailor and long-haul driver usually jumps in with both feet. As such, I decided to not buy but BUILD my airplane (for after I have my license).

I came across Van's from a YouTube video of C.W. Lemoine taking a tour of the factory and became hooked (obsessed?) on experimental aviation.

In the course of learning as much as I can from making acquaintances with Jason Ellis and Tyler & Christine (PlaneLady), I've come to understand there are options at my disposal for what to put in my bird.

Aside from the instrumentation and engine options, as well as ZipTips and the cool windows Christine showed on her YouTube channel, how many optional choices are there for the -10? Is there a list somewhere?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Welcome to VAF, and welcome to the Van’s family!

This is probably one of the best resources. There are also facebook groups for RV10 and a ton of builders who have done a great job documenting a lot of the options on the 10s: Tim Olson’s site is excellent when it comes to looking at a bunch of options, although his plane was built a while ago and many more options are on the market now.

My recommendation is build the plane you want - don’t do things because others did it. It’s going to be overwhelming.

Scroll through the posts in the RV10 forum and most builders with a blog will have a link in their signature (like mine below). Also look at Tim Huneycutt, Mark Ciaglia and check out Ed’s page at GoodPlaneLiving.

Most importantly, if you need help, just reach out. Plenty of folks to lend a hand.

Good luck - and have fun!

Welcome to VAF, and welcome to the Van’s family!
Thank you!

This is probably one of the best resources.
Which is why I asked here. :p

There are also facebook groups for RV10 and a ton of builders who have done a great job documenting a lot of the options on the 10s
Yep! I joined the FB group about the same time as I signed on here. I'm just now getting around to posting here.

My recommendation is build the plane you want - don’t do things because others did it. It’s going to be overwhelming.

I can totally see that. However, doesn't one need to know (to a point) of what's available to know what they want?

Example, I did find out that tip tanks were available but I decided against them when I saw the baggage weight reduction that came with them.

I'm going the video documentary route for my build and thought doing a highlight of some of the more popular options would be great subject matter.

...and have fun!
That's ALWAYS the mission!

Messy - just wait until you do the McMaster Door Seal option

Welcome to the group and enjoy the journey.

I just finished most of my door seals. I loved the Airplane video clip. Yes that was me in the 95 degree 90% humidity air of Florida wearing a face respirator, gloves, glasses and hearing protection.

20200813_210429.jpg

20200813_210443.jpg

Hey, y'all! I'm Raymond.

About 25 years ago, I put flying on the shelf to focus on raising my family. Well, I'm back and going for my PPL all the way this time.

However, this old sailor and long-haul driver usually jumps in with both feet. As such, I decided to not buy but BUILD my airplane (for after I have my license).

I came across Van's from a YouTube video of C.W. Lemoine taking a tour of the factory and became hooked (obsessed?) on experimental aviation.

In the course of learning as much as I can from making acquaintances with Jason Ellis and Tyler & Christine (PlaneLady), I've come to understand there are options at my disposal for what to put in my bird.

Aside from the instrumentation and engine options, as well as ZipTips and the cool windows Christine showed on her YouTube channel, how many optional choices are there for the -10? Is there a list somewhere?

Thanks for the help in advance.

I'm in a very similar situation. 50 years old & finally able to pursue building a plane (been wanting to do this since I was 19 & saw a random stranger building a plane in his garage and ended up talking to him for hours). Also getting my PPL ... did my 2 solo cross country flights yesterday (U42 near salt lake city to KENV Wendover, NV which took me out over the salt flats where ppl break land speed records). I'm the same as you in that when I get into something, I'm ALL IN - and the feeling of flying on my own cross country like that yesterday, talking to Salt Lake Center & Approach control amid all the airline pilots, the freedom and beauty and peace of being up there just me like that ... indescribable. I'm soooo hooked - but like you, got totally obsessed with Vans planes as I've researched what to buy once I have my PPL & now Vans has spoiled me from ever being able to be satisfied with certified. Best of luck in your journey!

...how many optional choices are there for the -10? Is there a list somewhere?

Hello Raymond! Here's one of the best resources I found from RV-10 (& RV-14) builder Tim Olson. https://www.myrv10.com/

Scroll to bottom of page. Two list I found very useful are:
1. RV-10 Building Tips, Options & Accessories
2. Top 10 Must Fixes for RV-10 builders.

I'm preparing for my Airworthiness Certificate Inspection tomorrow!! It's been a 3 yr 8 month journey that has been exhilarating at times, as well a monotonous and boring a lot of the time, but by far one of the gratifying accomplishments in life (and I haven't even flown it yet).

Good luck in your journey! Hope you enjoy every moment of it!

Your best resource for what to put in/on your RV

Would recommend you get your PPL first. First, a high percentage never complete their PPL despite good intentions. Second, you don’t really know what you want in a plane until you’ve been flying for a while. Once you have you’ll be in a much better position to equip your plane appropriately both for your needs and budget.
Good luck.

Would recommend you get your PPL first. First, a high percentage never complete their PPL despite good intentions. Second, you don’t really know what you want in a plane until you’ve been flying for a while. Once you have you’ll be in a much better position to equip your plane appropriately both for your needs and budget.
Good luck.

There are few decisions that cannot be reversed later on. You may not think that rudder trim or an autopilot or a special door latching mechanism are important to you today, but you might change your mind down the road. Most of the mods you see can be done after the fact. Yes, you might end up paying for part X twice, but you aren't making a decision until you really know what you want.

Per the above quote, it really depends on how quickly you plan to build this thing. Thanks to the pandemic and no business travel, I've been building far faster than I ever planned, averaging about 20+ hours a week. A plane that I thought would take me 3-4 years looks like it will take around 2 at this rate. If you think you are going to really try to do this in 2-3 years, then I agree that getting that PPL first may be the most important since you will run up against some decisions relatively soon and you will want to know what you prefer.

On the other hand, if you think you will be on the 5-10 year program, go ahead and start! At that pace, the tail will take you 6 months or more and there are few decisions on the tail outside of where / if you want a tail light and an antenna. Same with the wings. If you go with a slow build, the only decisions are aileron trim, the type of pitot mast, AOA sensor, and what kind of lights.

The really big decisions are mostly in the fuselage and panel, which are far down the road for a new builder. I didn't make any decisions on 90% of the mods and choices when I started. I didn't know what I didn't know yet. But, as you work through it and think a week or a month ahead, and as you read through this forum and other sources of information, the choices present themselves. And, at times, you can skip around while you think things through or wait for parts.

For example, my tail is basically done, except for an antenna on the vertical stabilizer and the fairing that will cover it. I haven't thought about what I actually need, how I'm going to mount it, or what kinds of wires it will need. But that didn't slow down any work on the wings, where I knew exactly what I wanted, or on the fuselage (where I find myself today). At some point, I will stop and think about that antenna and go back and do it, but I can proceed full speed with other stuff without that decision slowing me down.

Hello Raymond! Here's one of the best resources I found from RV-10 (& RV-14) builder Tim Olson. https://www.myrv10.com/

Scroll to bottom of page. Two list I found very useful are:
1. RV-10 Building Tips, Options & Accessories
2. Top 10 Must Fixes for RV-10 builders.

I'm preparing for my Airworthiness Certificate Inspection tomorrow!! It's been a 3 yr 8 month journey that has been exhilarating at times, as well a monotonous and boring a lot of the time, but by far one of the gratifying accomplishments in life (and I haven't even flown it yet).

Good luck in your journey! Hope you enjoy every moment of it!

Thx for the link to Tim's tips etc. They make it clear to me that I'm out of my league thinking about building a plane. Had no idea there were that many unclear things in the instructions, and that many things builders have to source and make work on their own that don't come in the kit. Seems way beyond me, but have been thinking about doing it for a while now.

Thx for the link to Tim's tips etc. They make it clear to me that I'm out of my league thinking about building a plane. Had no idea there were that many unclear things in the instructions, and that many things builders have to source and make work on their own that don't come in the kit. Seems way beyond me, but have been thinking about doing it for a while now.

It's easy to become overwhelmed thinking about the project as a whole, things you don't know, etc..

For me, I've encountered it multiple times during my build, and expect to encounter it even more as I move towards installing my engine etc..

I try to do as much reading on a topic of interest that is coming up, but still sometimes it doesn't really click until the parts are in front of me and I can understand advice being given.

Remember if you chip away, taking small bites of the elephant at a time, eventually you'll have eaten the whole thing. Also don't forget that there are great resources both at Van's, this community right here, and local EAA resources to help you along when you struggle.

Back