What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Fuselage before wings

msmst25

Well Known Member
I'm just getting started on the Empennage, so this isn't an urgent question. I was just wondering if there was any reason why I couldn't do the Fuselage (slow build), before ordering the quickbuild wings. I found one post related to this topic, and it seemed to be a reasonable thing to do, but I just want to be sure.

I'm just getting started on the Empennage, so this isn't an urgent question. I was just wondering if there was any reason why I couldn't do the Fuselage (slow build), before ordering the quickbuild wings. I found one post related to this topic, and it seemed to be a reasonable thing to do, but I just want to be sure.

No reason why you can't.
You just have to remove the center sections that normally come with the QB wings and add them to your slow build fuse order.

The progression usually followed is to tackle easier smaller assemblies first, working as skills improve toward the more demanding structures. Also it's a matter of storage space required, easier to store smaller structures as you build toward the biggest chunk, unless you have a big shop where space is not an issue. What ever works for you!

Slow build fuse

Can you explain what you mean by needing to remove the center sections that normally come with the QB wings?

Can you explain what you mean by needing to remove the center sections that normally come with the QB wings?

Typically, the center section/spar carry through comes with the wings. You'd need to add it to your fuse order and later delete it from your wing order.

No reason why you can't.
You just have to remove the center sections that normally come with the QB wings and add them to your slow build fuse order.

Built emp and started SB fuse before QB wings came in. Just let Van's know what order you're doing it in and they will add the needed items to your fuse kit and delete same items from your QB wing kit. I didn't have to know what those parts were, they handled it all for me. Worked out fine!

In the early days the spar boxes and wing spars were "matched drilled" so that any geometric flaw in one would be matched to its mate. The respective pieces were matched by reference numbers.
With the advent of the modern CAM manufacturing, the tolerances are so tight that it is no longer necessary to match drill. Any wing spar should perfectly match any spar box.
The spar box actually connects the forward and aft parts of the fuselage together. It comes as one package so Van's can easily ship the subkit with either the fuse or the wings.

Back