What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Open Canopy

From N3VR's original flight log at 2 hours TT, dated July 4 1980:

"Flew with canopy open at 105 MPH, IAS. No control problems whatsoever. Canopy will self close when released"

I haven't felt the need to retest......

Would not try it..

I’d be concerned it could come off and take out the tail. Then you are done... saw the video of a guy flying without the canopy. Seemed to have no issues. Would probably be need to be flown that way in test flight and added to Op Lims to be “legal”?

I assume you're talking about the sliding canopy, not the tip-over?

I took off and flew with my unlatched tip-over canopy for maybe 10 - 20 seconds before it departed the airplane. Didn't notice any aircraft handling issues, but I was distracted by the breeze in my face and headset slapping against the outside of the fuselage :)

Finn

I assume you're talking about the sliding canopy, not the tip-over?

I took off and flew with my unlatched tip-over canopy for maybe 10 - 20 seconds before it departed the airplane. Didn't notice any aircraft handling issues, but I was distracted by the breeze in my face and headset slapping against the outside of the fuselage :)

Finn

OMG ! There's more to that story...

Rv3

There was a fellow that Had a rv3 With open cockpit converted canopy I believe his wing came off and was killed

Back