What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine & Avionics Installation parts

rvanstory

Well Known Member
Both my engine and avionics should be here in about 2-3 weeks. I'd like to order some supplies now VS waiting till I need them before I order. Have several questions about what parts / supplies to get as well as many other questions I don't even know to ask yet. So any advice related to engine, firewall forward or avionics (plug and play panel by Aerotronics) install is welcome.

Specific questions:
1) Battery related questions:
What length battery cables? EarthX battery going in stock Van's location (behind baggage bulkhead). I know what cables to order, just not sure what length to get for each.

Did you run ground directly to engine, or run to stud on firewall, then another wire to engine on other side of firewall?

If you ran ground to firewall stud, is there something specific to use, or just a threaded steel rod with washers and nuts?​
2) Firewall penetrations:
How many penetrations are best? (Van's has two, is that enough?)

What size should passthrough sleeves be? (Stainless pass through sleeves comes in various sizes. What's best?)

Where should they be? (Stock locations of one on each side??)​
3) Oil door on cowl.
I want hidden latches and hinge. Links to recommended ones would appreciated)​
4) Throttle quadrant passthrough.
What parts did you use for your throttle quadrant holes?​

So those are some questions I have so far.... I'm sure more will come as I progress.

I bought 30 ft of #2 welding cable from amazon. Two stainless 1 inch shower curtain holders for each side placed six inches of fire sleeve over them and had plenty of space for all the wires. For a ground I put a large forest of tabs on the back starboard side of the firewall and on one of the studs on the forward side of the firewall I ran a ground wire to the engine case.
On the back side I ran a short wire to the langeron that runs under the door sill to the back and grounded by battery to that.

I used #2 tefzel for the positive, but don't recall the length. I did not run a ground to the f/w. It is grounded at the battery box and used welding cable for that. I used dedicated passthroughs for the #2 cable and oil cooler shutter bowden. I addition, I had three 3/4" BX conduit stubs and only filled two of them.

Larry

I bought 30 ft of #2 welding cable from amazon. Two stainless 1 inch shower curtain holders for each side placed six inches of fire sleeve over them and had plenty of space for all the wires. For a ground I put a large forest of tabs on the back starboard side of the firewall and on one of the studs on the forward side of the firewall I ran a ground wire to the engine case.
On the back side I ran a short wire to the langeron that runs under the door sill to the back and grounded by battery to that.

I thought I was the only frugal person to use shower curtain holders for pass thrus😁

I used #2 tefzel for the positive, but don't recall the length. I did not run a ground to the f/w. It is grounded at the battery box and used welding cable for that. I used dedicated passthroughs for the #2 cable and oil cooler shutter bowden. I addition, I had three 3/4" BX conduit stubs and only filled two of them.

Larry

I have 4 conduits plus 3-4 runs through grommets down the right hand side. I have plenty of room for everything.

I made my battery cables in place. Attached a lug on one end, snaked the cable through, attached the existing lug to the starter contactor, then marked and terminated the other lug. Like others, I used welding cable for the battery cables.

Van's sells some nice firewall pass throughs. They are smaller and lighter than the shower rod holders I bought for that purpose. More expensive too!

Back