What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MILESTONE RV-12 1300 hours

JBPILOT

Well Known Member
13zn4tw.jpg

Been a terrible winter. First flight in 2 full months. Almost forgot to take pic.

Fantastic accomplishment. I own SN120058 but only have 400TT.

Can you tell us you experience with the Rotax 912ULS over the 1300 hours of operation?
  • Major maintenance?
  • Oil and fuel type used?
  • Consuming any oil between changes?
  • Gearbox?
  • Carb problems?

RV-12 912ULS history with 1300 hours

1. Had to replace both original 'Green Stripe' Ign Modules. Both failed between 400 - 500 hours. Went to new Yellow Stripe 'soft-start' modules.

2. Always used Aeroshell Sport plus 4, and ALWAYS premium auto fuel.

3. Uses terrible amounts of oil. Almost a quart in 100 hours. ( joking )

4. Gearbox seems good. Test friction at annual.

5. I rebuilt carbs at 5 years. Will again this year ( 10 years ).

I would say it runs exactly as it did day one. Flew about 290 statute miles yesterday to Janesville Wisc. and back.

Last edited:
About what I was expecting to hear except for the ignition modules. Maybe I should start saving for a Christmas fund...

Other threads on this forum talk about prop balancing and mid-range vibration. What is your experience now with 1300TT?

Living in IA, I suspect you religiously pre-heat engine in winter months?

Last edited:
RV-12 1300 Hours

I do check my Carb balance at least once a year. Seems very stable after this many years, which I would expect.

Have prop set to .1 degree also. Always has had a vibration RPM about mid-range. Smooth above and below it. I just stay away from that range.

Yes, when below 50 degrees, I leave it plugged in all the time.

Helps the battery also I'm sure. I am still on original battery. 10 years is good. Seems strong yet.

Congratulations!

Great accomplishment John! It was an honor to join you in Janesville yesterday.

John you have always been a great resource of information and experience. Keep blazing the trail.

One question about oil circulation. Do you have the oil thermostat? I read you do preheat but I wondered about warm up after start. Thanks

I read you do preheat but I wondered about warm up after start.

As a data point, I have E-Z HEAT 912 engine pre-heater which consists of two silicone heater pads – one for bottom of crankcase and the other wraps around bottom of oil tank. I have a remote cellphone relay switch so I can turn unit on well in advance of engine start. If OAT is 20-30F I’ll pre-heat for 180 minutes. When I arrive at the airplane the oil and water temps are 80F and I’m good to go.

Last edited:
Oil Therm

Hi Pat. I developed the first oil therm ( using Thermostassis ), and it has been great. It cuts down warmup time by a bunch. I can start engine, and start taxiing right away, and be at needed temp before I get to end of runway. ( over 1/2 mile for me ). I would rate this as my second best invention. The "Heater Damper Door" is best/first for winter flying.

Back