What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT HXr screen shots

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
GRT HXr screen shots (large file)

I've been flying behind the GRT 10.4 in HXr for a week or so now and am really impressed by what it offers.
Here are several screen shots with explanations of all the information that I thought might be of interest to everyone that's not familiar with glass cockpits. It's a lot to absorb at first, but once you get used to it, the situation awareness is wonderful.

8381726200_e5042f80e1_b.jpg

8380644867_d8c729a38b_b.jpg

8380639915_df6ef170e0_b.jpg

8381720984_ccd57b9ebb_b.jpg

8381721516_dbd6f5075b_b.jpg

8381722178_76598306f1_b.jpg

8381722832_410d0a9bcc_b.jpg

8380642795_2ca3ca662d_b.jpg

8380643233_241496d0c9_b.jpg

8381725150_320540a2cc_b.jpg

I'd be glad to discuss the HXr with anyone. I hope everyone can see the great benefits of these new EFIS systems.

Last edited:
Wow...

....I'm suffering a serious case of EFIS envy. I was really happy with my dual GRT Sport setup ..... until now, that is.

Post mess...

Can one of the mods straighten out the posting mess. Huge images and lack of line returns is creating quite the jumble on the page..

Fixed

Sorry for the way I posted them. They showed up good on my wide monitor but I got feedback that the text was all messed up so I inserted individual images with text attached.

Hope this helps.

Traffic Twelve O'clock

Looks great Jerry, thanks for posting.

I noticed in the second pic from the top you have a traffic target on the PFD at 12 o'clock and below you (also shown on the map). As you get closer the traffic symbol will get larger and turn yellow if less than two miles away.

It still amazes me what is available to aviators today. Great stuff!

TRAFFIC

Looks great Jerry, thanks for posting.

I noticed in the second pic from the top you have a traffic target on the PFD at 12 o'clock and below you (also shown on the map). As you get closer the traffic symbol will get larger and turn yellow if less than two miles away.

It still amazes me what is available to aviators today. Great stuff!

Correct Carlos. When the traffic gets within two miles you get a "TRAFFIC ALERT" screen that covers the ENGINE data inset and show the traffic. On the PFD, when the threat gets close the big yellow ball really gets your attention.

Here's a photo of the TRAFFIC ALERT. It was taken at night so it's a bit grainy but it's readable. When this photo was taken the traffic showing was actually me but this has been corrected and now "your plane" no longer shows on the traffic pages.

8380914071_aa908edf1c_b.jpg

Thanks Jerry. I'm the one who sent you a PM on your 200 HP "cruise" IAS down low. With all your pictures here, I can see all your power settings and IAS and TAS at 7500 and 3000 FT. Along with the PM you sent back to me, this helps a whole bunch. Do you mind if I ask what this puppy costs?:eek:

Can't thank you enough....

For posting this! I am seriously considering this unit for my bird, and I really appreciate the real world pics and explanation of each display. There is truly a lot to absorb, especially for those of us that are not quite fully indoctrinated in the art of electronic flight displays. I also think it would be great to see similar posts from those that are operating the other systems. I expect to be spending a lot of time in front of the GRT and VP booths at OSH this year, and this post is great primer for that.

Thanks Jerry. I'm the one who sent you a PM on your 200 HP "cruise" IAS down low. With all your pictures here, I can see all your power settings and IAS and TAS at 7500 and 3000 FT. Along with the PM you sent back to me, this helps a whole bunch. Do you mind if I ask what this puppy costs?:eek:

Thanks for the feed back guys. That's why I posted these so everyone could see the vast amount of information on the GRT EFIS. The situational awareness that is at our fingertips today amazes me. To think this is available to us today at less than the cost of an HSI back in the old days is remarkable.

http://www.grtavionics.com/File/HXr%20Brochure%20Rev%20D.pdf

Screen glare...??

Is the daytime screen glare so obvious, or is it caused by the camera? It looks like it would be rather annoying/distracting.

Is the daytime screen glare so obvious, or is it caused by the camera? It looks like it would be rather annoying/distracting.

It's the angle I was holding my phone. All the new EFIS systems these days are sunlight readable and I have no problems at all.

GRT EFIS

I got a chance to fly with Ivan Kristensen today in his stunning RV-10 with the large GRT Hx efis. Wow! I am really impressed. We shot multiple RNAV approaches and holding patterns. The TT Digiflight autopilot functions flawlessly with the system. Sunlight was no issue on these screens at all, and the capability of the system is very impressive. I love my Chelton system, but looking at Ivan's GRT reminded me how dated the Chelton is now. If I was in the mood to re-do my panel, or if I was building another airplane, GRT would be a top contender for me!

I have a Trio with my HX but I'm sure the TT works well, too. Did he show you how not only will the combo fly an ILS or an LPV down to DA (or beyond), but also with a single button push, plus throttle, it will start the missed approach procedure for you? One more button push (OBS on the Garmin) and it will fly the whole miss, including the hold. I'm afraid that if I always used all the electronics that I'd forget how to fly!

I have a Trio with my HX but I'm sure the TT works well, too. Did he show you how not only will the combo fly an ILS or an LPV down to DA (or beyond), but also with a single button push, plus throttle, it will start the missed approach procedure for you? One more button push (OBS on the Garmin) and it will fly the whole miss, including the hold. I'm afraid that if I always used all the electronics that I'd forget how to fly!

Yep, it did all of that perfectly. My Chelton/TruTrak combo does all of that as well, but as I mentioned, the display looks pretty dated now and, of course, Chelton does not have any interest in the EAB market these days. I am sure the AFS product is just as impressive.

Great info, thanks for posting!

Taking a look on their website, it doesn't mention a couple of things. Is there a remote transponder available? Also, is there an ADSB in/out capability built in? What about traffic/weather?

I'm in love with the Dynon, but this looks nice with the integrated comm!!

Great info, thanks for posting!

Taking a look on their website, it doesn't mention a couple of things. Is there a remote transponder available? Also, is there an ADSB in/out capability built in? What about traffic/weather?

I'm in love with the Dynon, but this looks nice with the integrated comm!!

Yes, GRT sells the Trig TR22 xpndr, which is a remote mount, controlled by the HXr. It's a mode S extended squitter that when hooked up with a compatible WAAS GPS will provide ADSB out. The HXr is compatible with several ADSB boxes and works very well.

I have a Trig 31 xpndr and a Skyradar ADSB box and it works extremely well displaying both weather and traffic. You can see some traffic and Wx shots on a couple of the photos above.

Too bad the 'traffic' feature doesnt include birds. Speedy could have used it the other day! Maybe Carlos can work on that!
Tom

Too bad the 'traffic' feature doesnt include birds. Speedy could have used it the other day! Maybe Carlos can work on that!
Tom

Maybe we should send a letter to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology asking them to put transponders on wild birds when they give them leg bands for research! :p

Is there a remote transponder available? Also, is there an ADSB in/out capability built in? What about traffic/weather?

The HXr will also interface remotely with the Sandia STX 165R if you just need a Mode C transponder. The Trig TT22 will give you TIS traffic information, and ADS-B Out when paired with a WAAS GPS.

ADS-B receivers we work with include Radenna SkyRadar, NavWorx ADS600 series, Freeflight Xplorer (serial version)... Some connect through RS-232 serial and others use the USB port. The SkyRadar is nice because it connects through USB--easy setup and nice for people who have all their serial ports used up already.

Of course the more-traditional TIS traffic and XM weather have been around for a long time, and available on all our EFIS systems when paired up with a Mode S transponder & XM receiver.

I have my HXr talking to my SL40 com. This allows freq control on the EFIS to the COM. When I went to hook this up I was frankly not looking for any great breakthrough.
BUT, what makes this useful for me it how easy it is to see the numbers and dials on the HXr screen which is front and center. In the 8, my radios are off to the left. My SL40 is down low. Hard to see, often glare is a problem. Anytime I take my eyes off the screen and have to look elsewhere for something I need done, is an added workload IFR. I like the com interface on the GRT EFIS particularly IFR.

Is it just me, the pictures, or are the pitch attitude lines extremely difficult to see. I know synthetic vision is all the rage, but it seems too much varying background brightness washes the pitch lines out. Looking at it I have a hard time knowing what your pitch really is. Granted the "ground" display shows that, but what if you are in an area of rolling, un-level, or rising terrain? Where is a level horizon reference?

Can synthetic vision be turned off? And turned off immediately and simply? (minimum buttonology)
Can the flight path vector be turned off?(Years of glass experience, but FPV always gives me vertigo, and goofs me up. Sure, that is where the plane is going, but not where I am pointed!

I would want to know, when saturated, can I simply turn off the distractions and get back to basics quickly to avoid something like what happened in the recent -10 incident thread.

Mark

Last edited:
Is it just me, the pictures, or are the pitch attitude lines extremely difficult to see. I know synthetic vision is all the rage, but it seems too much varying background brightness washes the pitch lines out. Looking at it I have a hard time knowing what your pitch really is. Granted the "ground" display shows that, but what if you are in an area of rolling, un-level, or rising terrain? Where is a level horizon reference?

Can synthetic vision be turned off? And turned off immediately and simply? (minimum buttonology)
Can the flight path vector be turned off?(Years of glass experience, but FPV always gives me vertigo, and goofs me up. Sure, that is where the plane is going, but not where I am pointed!

I would want to know, when saturated, can I simply turn off the distractions and get back to basics quickly to avoid something like what happened in the recent -10 incident thread.

Mark

Yes to all the above questions. It all can be turned off and used simply as an ADI.

That being said, it took me all of about 5 minutes to get used to the horizon line in the Synthetic Vision. It's really intuitive and takes no time to be comfortable with. As for the visibility in ALL lighting conditions that I've flown in the screen is completely readable. The white horizon line is the same as the line between brown/blue as on the normal ADI. Only difference here is that with the SV on it shows you attitude line at the altitude you really are compared to the terrain.

Same for the FPV. It's just another tool, can be turned on or off and takes no time to be second nature in what it's telling you.

PM me if you want to discuss it or have any other questions..

Last edited:

Mark

Hey Mark, Yes you are a short 2 button push from Synthetic Vision on or Off. Immediately and simply.
Yes the flight path marker can be turned off, but you have to go through the setup screen to do it. It has not been designed to simply turn on or off while your in the soup. I turned mine off from the get go. But I keep SV up all the time.

So taking the thread even further off track (and thanks for answering great questions), is the HRx system approved for GPS navigation and approaches minus WAAS? I'd love to set up a panel without having to have an extra $8-9K for a 430W just to fly RNAV approaches.

all those pretty pictures

Warning, warning!!!

Information overload, brain shutdown in 2 seconds and counting.........

Last edited:
Thanks for the virtually immediate replies. They make sense. Although two button pushes to turn off synthetic vision seems too much to me if in a high workload situation and needing less clutter.

I understand that these are photos from different times, and setups. I also get that it is too wordy to state everything you did in menus to make it show a different screen.

With that said what my eye is being drawn to in the different photos is:
Pic 2 seems mostly normal, has the wing reference pictorial, 5, and 10 degree pitch up and down markers. However what I see missing is the single degree markers for pitch up. It has them for pitch down. Is it just me that can't see them?

Pic 7 has no wing reference, no single degree up markers again ( actually none of them seem to have them) but has the down markers.

What changed to make the wing reference markers disappear, and why would that ever be desirable?

Granted I am used to flying heavier stuff, but most airplanes fly level with a bit of pitch up attitude, more so when slowed down obviously. Why no single degree markers for pitch up? Is it that I just don't see it in the pictures? Pilots eyes seem to want symmetrical displays of information. It actually took me a few seconds to realize what was missing and why it was bothering my eyes.

Is it just me? Or is that a personal setup that you chose?

Mark

Last edited:
I should add I am just asking questions, not busting chops. This is a very helpful thread and I love the info. I have been researching glass for a future upgrade and this supplements the manufacturers website photos of different screens. I have always thought they (all manufacturers) did not display all variants of their screens for whatever reason.

Hopefully I will get to SNF or OSH to get some hands on time.

Mark

Thanks for the virtually immediate replies. They make sense. Although two button pushes to turn off synthetic vision seems too much to me if in a high workload situation and needing less clutter.

I understand that these are photos from different times, and setups. I also get that it is too wordy to state everything you did in menus to make it show a different screen.

With that said what my eye is being drawn to in the different photos is:
Pic 2 seems mostly normal, has the wing reference pictorial, 5, and 10 degree pitch up and down markers. However what I see missing is the single degree markers for pitch up. It has them for pitch down. Is it just me that can't see them?

Pic 7 has no wing reference, no single degree up markers again ( actually none of them seem to have them) but has the down markers.

What changed to make the wing reference markers disappear, and why would that ever be desirable?

Granted I am used to flying heavier stuff, but most airplanes fly level with a bit of pitch up attitude, more so when slowed down obviously. Why no single degree markers for pitch up? Is it that I just don't see it in the pictures? Pilots eyes seem to want symmetrical displays of information. It actually took me a few seconds to realize what was missing and why it was bothering my eyes.

Mark

<< You are Correct, the single degree units are only displayed on the down side. I have to admit that I've not noticed this and will have to defer to GRT to answer this. Interesting observation on your part.>>

<< The "wing reference" marker, or the little white airplane symbol in pic 7 has been replaced with the VOR scale and in the next pic with the ILS LOC/GC scales. It actually moves just like the "wing reference" does in the normal, GPS modes. The "Circle" in the center of the scales is the center of the "wing reference". It actually works well since the needle scales replace the little white airplane. It's another of those things that you just don't notice in actuallity and it very normal to work with.>>

<< It's not a personal setup. It's the way the HXr displays that information. As for the nose up in slow flight, or level attitude, that can be set in the setup menu. For my particular airplane, a taildragger, on the ground my ADI shows 10 degrees nose up and in level flight I'm at 0 degrees. Now, in SV mode, that level attitude is indicated on the white ref line displaying my altitude, so it appears I'm actually nose up, if that makes sense. >>

<<Note in the 3rd photo how the white altitude/level line and the FPV appear above the white airplane which is actually showing about a 1/4 degree nose down. I think of the white level line as showing my vertical position above the SV display out at infinity while the "wing indicator" shows my airplane attitude.

Answer to poster 26:
None of the EFIS units, including the HXr, are approved for GPS-IFR approaches unless they are tied to an approved GPS. That could be an older TSO 129 non WAAS unit, which would limit you to non precision approaches.
GRT has said it is working on its own TSOd GPS navigator, you need to ask them about delivery dates.

Mark,

There aren't any single-degree markings on the top part of the attitude indication because they're not really necessary for light aircraft. Heavies & jets, yes... but for 99% of our customers, they'd just clutter up the screen. I never noticed it in 400+ hours of flying behind GRT EFIS systems in light airplanes, but I was also VFR most of the time. Widget flies his HXr in formation aerobatics and IFR, so if anyone needed it in an RV, he would. Now that you mention it, maybe he'll ask for it... ;)

As for GPS approaches (post 26), Bob is right-- the best option we have right now is to wire your EFIS to the certified IFR GPS of your choice, probably a new or used Garmin unit. I can't promise an ETA for our own IFR GPS.

Last edited:
Using the One Degree ticks for Descent

I agree that I don't really mis the one degree tick marks above the horizon, but the ticks below are really useful if you use the Velocity Vector (Flight Path Indicator. If the ILS glideslope is 3 degrees, put the VV right on the three Tick and you will slide exactly down the groove. (This works because the VV shows where you are going, not where you are pointed, and effectively shows you the result of any combination of pitch and power relative to the earth.)

Approach Plates?

Can the HXr display geo-referenced approach plates while the PFD/HSI/Glideslope information is simultaneously being displayed? If so, can someone provide a picture of how this configuration looks? Thanks!

Last edited:
Can the HXr display geo-referenced approach plates while the PFD/HSI/Glideslope information is simultaneously being displayed? If so, can someone provide a picture of how this configuration looks? Thanks!

The HXr will display approach plates, but at this time they are not geo-referenced. They are displayed pn the MAP details page, thus not at the same time as the PFD.

What I do is put the Plate up in the MAP page and the by holding the SCREEN page button down the screens will go back and forth between PFD and MAP. I just used this yesterday. Put the AFD (Air Field Diagram) chart on the map page and after rollout held down the SCREEN button and up popped the AFD for aid in taxiing.

Approach Plates and COMM

Here are a few photo's showing the Charts displayed on the MAP page and the indications you receive on the COM panel in various configurations.

-----I've already stated in above posts that the quality of these photo's is not that good. The glare is because I'm taking these with my phone. The display is superb and no glare or lighting issues-----

Below is a shot of the MAP page with an approach chart showing. The soft keys in the red box are how you zoom and move the plate if needed. You can zoom in, out, and slew as needed, rotate or display a list of available plates. The right side is the moving map display, here showing traffic.

8528732648_b1e11573ec_b.jpg

There have been several questions about the COM use on the HXr. I only have one SL30 that it talks to so I can't you the indications of dual COM and remove transponder.

Below is what appears with one COM freq selected, and the STBY in GREEN, which shows it's being monitored. The lower COM 1/STBY window allows you to dial in the STBY freq with the knob that will be displayed in the upper COM STBY window until you press SWAP. Then the 2 freq's swap into active/standby.

The red circled VOL softkey is what you press to bring up the Monitor window that allows you to use the COM monitor function of your radio remotely.

8527617933_9365b4f2a2_b.jpg

In the below photo, the COM STBY freq is not being monitored as indicated in the top COM box and in the Monitor window. Pressing the white button by the ACTIVE/STBY box toggles the MONITOR function on/off. To bring back the FREQ soft key to enable frequency selection you press the button next to the FREQ indication at the top right of the MAP inset.

8527618319_b22de6bc8e_b.jpg

This final photo shows both the FREQ's being monitored as indicated by being green in the top box and the green dots by ACTIVE/STBY in the MON window.

8527618709_a74d6067d5_b.jpg

If you have two radios being controlled remotely, the indications are shown for each radio next to each other. Also, you get these same indications when you control the monitor function on the radio itself.

Last edited:
I have been loving my GRT horizon HX for the last 4 years thinking it could not get better, HXr has proven me wrong. Thanks for the pix and information.

I have been loving my GRT horizon HX for the last 4 years thinking it could not get better, HXr has proven me wrong. Thanks for the pix and information.

I know what you mean. I had the 8.4 Sport and was a happy camper. Now after a few months behind the HXr I can't believe all the information that's available.

We've all said it before. The EFIS systems that we have now in our Experimental's are so far superior to what I had in the big Boeings that it still amazes me every time I fly.

panel planning

Not to hijack the thread, (NOOB question) but could you discuss the integration to the non GRT electronics in the panel. I would love to start with a day/night VFR set up then upgrade, as funding permits, to full IFR. What other electronics are needed?.Xponder, nav/com, etc.

They play well together

Not to hijack the thread, (NOOB question) but could you discuss the integration to the non GRT electronics in the panel. I would love to start with a day/night VFR set up then upgrade, as funding permits, to full IFR. What other electronics are needed?.Xponder, nav/com, etc.

Great question.

The GRT EFIS systems, as well as all the others except Garmin are basically stand alone companies. Garmin is the only one that actually offers EFIS's, radios, certified GPS's, etc.

That being said however, GRT and all the other EFIS systems will play with all of the radio/transponder/GPS's very well.

For a basic VFR panel, you'll probably start out with a COM radio, an intercom or probably a COM panel (for future upgrade), a portable GPS and a transponder. The portable aviation GPS's available today will almost all play with the GRT very well. Down the road towards IFR, you'll want to get a certified GPS, by then most likely WAAS.

Transponders today are coming down in price. I replaced a broken King KT76A with a new Trig TT31 because it's ADSB compliant with a certified GPS, but is completely usable as a mode S transponder today if you input a certified WAAS GPS position into it. Trig and Garmin both make remote transponders, but they require remote mounting and a controller mounted in the panel, or thru an EFIS.

For COM, there are several basic radios but you may want to consider one that can at least MONITOR the standby frequency if your are going with a single COM now. The SL30 and SL40 Garmins do this as well as others. (Garmin's new COM/NAV's were recently announced to replace the 30/40). With the IFR panel, you'll look at certified WAAS GPS's with COM/NAV built in. Pricey but you get what you pay for. (the 430/530 and the GTN 650/750 come in here.)

Then when you get ready to upgrade you already have stuff that won't have to be replaced, just added to.

As for the EFIS, none of the above really affects it. You can add autopilots that are included in the EFIS, like GRT and Dynon, or, add stand alone autopilots like TruTrak. All of the EFIS systems work with different autopilots though, so just plan ahead.

This is a process that really needs to be thought out before you start building your panel. As always, things are changing so fast in the electronics world what you decide today will be changed by next week, but you can still plan upgrades in and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Good luck with your project.

More Traffic pictures

Here are a couple photo's of the TRAFFIC function of the HXr screens.

Once again, I'm using my phone whenever I get a unique screen so the photo's aren't the best quality.

The first is a TRAFFIC warning when the traffic is within my preset +/- 2500 feet and within 2 miles. This sets off the TRAFFIC inset on the left. Notice how the traiffic is displayed on the map in the right inset, also on the PFD show relative position and direction of flight, and in the TRAFFIC ALERT inset. This is at a distance of approximately 2 miles. He's 1700 feet below me and descending.

8572802558_d2f8ac0988_b.jpg

The photo below is now after he's closed to within about a 3/4 mile and is going to pass below me. Note how the traffic symbol in the center red circle is bigger indicating he's getting close. This really gets your attention and really shows you where to scan for traffic. The only caveat is you have to remember where the airplane is REALLY pointing. With the winds note how the Flight Path Vector indicator is off to the right indicating I'm crabbing to the right so you have to adjust where you look because the traffic indication is relative position.

8571726237_8de98f897f_b.jpg

more questions

Jerry: Awesome capabilities.
Next question. Will it provide the engine monitoring or is another instrument required?

DOH

Sorry. I did see that, but was not sure if it was part of the EFIS capability of if it was controlling or pulling the data from another source. I'm new to glass. Most of my time has been behind steam gauges without a GPS. This is a whole new world.

Sorry. I did see that, but was not sure if it was part of the EFIS capability of if it was controlling or pulling the data from another source. I'm new to glass. Most of my time has been behind steam gauges without a GPS. This is a whole new world.

Larry, It will display all the engine information IF you have an Engine Monitoring System. I use the GRT EIS 4000 (Engine Information System). It can be panel mounted or remote mounted and programmed where you really never have to access it in normal ops. It's provides all the usual info RPM, MP, CHT's EGT's pressures, etc to the EFIS thru one wire. Of course, there are lots of wires from the engine to the EIS. Hope this explains.

Back