What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low approach over NASA Shuttle Landing Facility

tc1234c

Well Known Member
My son came to visit and we decided to make a low approach over NASA Shuttle Landing Facility. When we arrived the NASA tower gave us a clearance for at and above 100'. It took a while to fly over the 15,000' runway. Here is a video for your entertainment.
http://youtu.be/cHuQN0rQt4I?hd=1

IMG_7102.JPG

Photos

I took my son over the Monday after Christmas. Pretty cool that they opened the area back up. Funny how NASA owns the runway and won't let you land but the FAA will let you do a low approach. I am told that the runway is so rough that you don't want to land anyway.

The end of an era

I worked on 5 projects that flew on Columbia and Endeavour STS-52, 59, 68, 87 and 99 so I had a little exposure to the area but never saw it like that. Coming all the way from California it was always a combination of secret honor, pride and a thrill to be there doing my job and creating personal memories. I wonder what is going to happen to the VAB, OPFs and 39A & B. Thanks for the ride.

Bob Axsom

High cool factor

That was very cool. Not many can say they have done that.

Last year I flew my father in the RV7 from Oregon to Palm Springs CA. Nearly the same story as yours. Near Edwards AFB we lined up the same direction as the space shuttle would for a West coast landing with the dry lake bed as an over-run area.

Not as cool as yours since we were at 11,500 and outside their airspace.

Nice video. That goes in your files for your grandkids for sure.

We used to have a well used but well maintained Gulfstream-1 (call sign "NASA 3") that was used to fly NASA personnel on business trips. We flew from Marshall Space Flight Center to Kennedy Space Center regularly. We landed on the 15,000 foot SLF runway routinely and I don't remember it being rough. That G-1 was the highest time G-1 still flying and we finally had to retire it because maintenance on the engines and props was so expensive. We fly commercial flights now. :(
Thanks for the flyby, Ted.

Last edited:
that is cool!! ok--we need to get Hoot Gibson in RV1 and let him do the same thing!!!
Gee paul----what do you think??

Great video. My RV-7A is based right across the river at KTIX (Space Coast Airport). Have done this several times in the past year. It is a blast.

VAB

Every time we fly by we ask for a low approach and a VAB fly by. Nice views for sure. Too bad you couldn't do a touch n go, I bet some of you could land sideways with the right winds!

....We landed on the 15,000 foot SLF runway routinely and I don't remember it being rough. ....

No, the SLF isn't rough in the sense of "bumpy" - but it is grooved and textured in a way that will eat tires in a big hurry. this was done for traction purposes. We actually ground down portions of it to reduce Shuttle tire wear back after the Challenger mishap, since several tires had blown due to wear to that point.

I've walked the runway many times - you don't want to trip and fall - the road rash would be pretty bad.

Paul

Did it yesterday. 500 feet. iPad is uncertified therefore altitude reading is unreliable.

cbba8ff0.jpg

Another low approach

Vlad asked me to fly his wing to KTTS. Tower cleared us for low approach runway 15 above 100'. It seems Vlad's GPS was giving him incorrect readings.

http://youtu.be/JI0YqFBEpew

IMAG1004.jpg

8 am.

IMAG1029.jpg

After the low approach depart to north.

Even thought the Shuttle sleeps, space exploration continues

I got this email from my old employer this afternoon:

Date: Monday, June 11, 2012 2:30 PM

To: Robert Axsom

Subject: NuSTAR to Drop From Plane and Rocket Into Space

Size: 12 KB

News release: 2012-169 June 11, 2012

NuSTAR to Drop From Plane and Rocket Into Space

The full version of this story with accompanying images is at:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2012-169&cid=release_2012-169

NASA's NuSTAR mission is scheduled to launch from Kwajalein Atoll in the central Pacific Ocean on June 13, no earlier than 8:30 a.m. PDT (11:30 a.m. EDT). The observatory, which will hunt for black holes and other exotic objects using specialized X-ray eyes, will be launched from a Pegasus XL rocket carried by an Orbital Science Corporation L-1011 "Stargazer" plane. The plane will take off from Kwajalein Atoll an hour before launch, flying out over the Pacific Ocean.

About five seconds before launch, the Pegasus XL rocket -- also from Orbital -- will drop from the plane, ignite and propel NuSTAR to space. A video showing a previous Pegasus launch is online at http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?collection_id=80521 .

Why launch from the air? Plane-assisted launches are less expensive than those that take place from the ground. Less fuel is needed to boost cargo away from the pull of Earth's gravity. NuSTAR is part of NASA's Small Explorer program, which builds focused science missions at relatively low costs.

If all goes as planned, the following milestones will occur on June 13. Times listed are for a launch at the start of a four-hour window.

Takeoff

The Stargazer carrier aircraft, with the Pegasus launch vehicle and NuSTAR spacecraft strapped to its belly, will take off from Kwajalein's Bucholz Auxiliary Airfield an hour before launch, and climb to an altitude of about 39,000 feet (11,900 meters). This should occur around 7:30 a.m. PDT (10:30 a.m. EDT).

The Drop

The carrier aircraft will release the Pegasus rocket at 8:30 a.m. PDT (11:30 a.m. EDT). The rocket will free-fall for about five seconds before igniting.

Ignition

At about 8:30 a.m. PDT (11:30 a.m. EDT), the rocket carrying NuSTAR will ignite. Its first-stage motor will burn for 70 seconds and then drop away. The second-stage motor will burn for about a minute-and-a-half.

Splitting the Nose Cone

While the second stage is burning, pyrotechnic devices will be fired to release the nose cone, or fairing, that encapsulates the observatory. NuSTAR will be exposed to space for the first time. This event is scheduled to occur around 8:33 a.m. PDT (11:33 a.m. EDT).

Separating From the Rocket

At about 8:43 a.m. PDT (11:43 a.m. EDT), 13 minutes after the initial release from the Stargazer, NuSTAR will separate from the Pegasus rocket's third stage. At this point, NuSTAR will be in its final orbit -- a low-Earth equatorial orbit at an altitude of approximately 340 miles (600 kilometers) and an inclination of six degrees.

Phoning Home

When NuSTAR separates from the Pegasus, the satellite's system that controls its orientation in space, or "attitude," will begin to stabilize it, and the spacecraft solar arrays will be deployed. Around this time, its first signal will be received on the ground via NASA's Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System. Over the following week, NuSTAR personnel will perform a series of checkouts to ensure that all spacecraft subsystems are operating nominally.

Deploying the Boom

Roughly one week after launch, engineers will command NuSTAR to deploy its lengthy 33-foot (10-meter) boom, allowing the telescope to focus X-ray light into crisp images. Unlike visible-light telescopes, X-ray telescopes require a long distance between the mirrors and detectors to focus the light. It's a bit like wearing glasses a few feet away from your face.

Science operations are expected to begin about 30 days after launch.

On launch day, live commentary and coverage will be broadcast online beginning at 7 a.m. PDT (10 a.m. EDT) at http://www.nasa.gov/nustar and at http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2 .

NuSTAR is a Small Explorer mission led by the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena and managed by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, also in Pasadena, for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The spacecraft was built by Orbital Sciences Corporation, Dulles, Va. Its instrument was built by a consortium including Caltech; JPL; the University of California, Berkeley; Columbia University, New York; NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.; the Danish Technical University in Denmark; Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, Calif.; and ATK Aerospace Systems, Goleta, Calif. NuSTAR will be operated by UC Berkeley, with the Italian Space Agency providing its equatorial ground station located at Malindi, Kenya. The mission's outreach program is based at Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, Calif. NASA's Explorer Program is managed by Goddard. JPL is managed by Caltech for NASA.

Launch management and government oversight for the mission is the responsibility of NASA's Launch Services Program at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

For more information, visit http://www.nasa.gov/nustar and http://www.nustar.caltech.edu/ .

Whitney Clavin 818-354-4673
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
[email protected]

Not yet

They say no earlier than 8:30 am PDT on the 13th. You may be familiar with the L-1011 launch plane.

Bob Axsom

This one just came in as well

Date: Monday, June 11, 2012 4:58 PM

To: Robert Axsom
Subject: NASA Mars Rover Team Aims for Landing Closer to Prime Science Site

Size: 11 KB

News release: 2012-168 June 11, 2012

NASA Mars Rover Team Aims for Landing Closer to Prime Science Site

The full version of this story with accompanying images is at:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2012-168&cid=release_2012-168

PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA has narrowed the target for its most advanced Mars rover, Curiosity, which will land on the Red Planet in August. The car-sized rover will arrive closer to its ultimate destination for science operations, but also closer to the foot of a mountain slope that poses a landing hazard.

"We're trimming the distance we'll have to drive after landing by almost half," said Pete Theisinger, Mars Science Laboratory project manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "That could get us to the mountain months earlier."

It was possible to adjust landing plans because of increased confidence in precision landing technology aboard the Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft, which is carrying the Curiosity rover. That spacecraft can aim closer without hitting Mount Sharp at the center of Gale crater. Rock layers located in the mountain are the prime location for research with the rover.

Curiosity is scheduled to land at approximately 10:31 p.m. PDT Aug. 5 (1:31 a.m. EDT, Aug. 6). Following checkout operations, Curiosity will begin a two-year study of whether the landing vicinity ever offered an environment favorable for microbial life.

Theisinger and other mission leaders described the target adjustment during an update to reporters on Monday, June 11, about preparations for landing and for operating Curiosity on Mars.

The landing target ellipse had been approximately 12 miles wide and 16 miles long (20 kilometers by 25 kilometers). Continuing analysis of the new landing system's capabilities has allowed mission planners to shrink the area to approximately 4 miles wide and 12 miles long (7 kilometers by 20 kilometers), assuming winds and other atmospheric conditions are as predicted.

Even with the smaller ellipse, Curiosity will be able to touch down at a safe distance from steep slopes at the edge of Mount Sharp.

"We have been preparing for years for a successful landing by Curiosity, and all signs are good," said Dave Lavery, Mars Science Laboratory program executive at NASA. "However, landing on Mars always carries risks, so success is not guaranteed. Once on the ground we'll proceed carefully. We have plenty of time since Curiosity is not as life-limited as the approximate 90-day missions like NASA?s Mars Exploration Rovers and the Phoenix lander.?

Since the spacecraft was launched in November 2011, engineers have continued testing and improving its landing software. Mars Science Laboratory will use an upgraded version of flight software installed on its computers during the past two weeks. Additional upgrades for Mars surface operations will be sent to the rover about a week after landing.

Other preparations include upgrades to the rover's software and understanding effects of debris coming from the drill the rover will use to collect samples from rocks on Mars. Experiments at JPL indicate that Teflon from the drill could mix with the powdered samples. Testing will continue past landing with copies of the drill. The rover will deliver the samples to onboard instruments that can identify mineral and chemical ingredients.

"The material from the drill could complicate, but will not prevent analysis of carbon content in rocks by one of the rover's 10 instruments. There are workarounds,? said John Grotzinger, the mission?s project scientist at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. "Organic carbon compounds in an environment are one prerequisite for life. We know meteorites deliver non-biological organic carbon to Mars, but not whether it persists near the surface. We will be checking for that and for other chemical and mineral clues about habitability."

Curiosity will be in good company as it nears landing. Two NASA Mars orbiters, along with a European Space Agency orbiter, will be in position to listen to radio transmissions as Mars Science Laboratory descends through Mars' atmosphere.

The mission is managed by JPL for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. Curiosity was designed, developed and assembled at JPL. Caltech manages JPL for NASA.

Follow the mission on Facebook and Twitter at:
http://www.facebook.com/marscuriosity
http://www.twitter.com/marscuriosity

For more information on the Mars Science Laboratory/Curiosity mission, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/msl .

Guy Webster 818-354-6278
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
[email protected]

Dwayne Brown 202-358-1726
NASA Headquarters, Washington
[email protected]

Launch

They say no earlier than 8:30 am PDT on the 13th. You may be familiar with the L-1011 launch plane.

Bob Axsom

My bad! I failed pay attention. Like they used to say before taking an exam, write at the top of your scratch pad in giant letters---RTFQ!

Nice

A group of us will be knocking that off our bucket list this coming Sunday.
Did you just call the tower inbound or did you make any phone calls in advance?

I took off from KMLB and just asked them for a little help with the turn over to Patrick AFB tower. They handed me off very quickly after takeoff.

I checked in with Patrick and asked for a transition at 1000' and they approved that. So I asked for a low pass over and they said "Clear for a low pass rwy 2". Made a hard right turn pushed the nose down and ran her in at 170kts!

As I was passing the tower I asked if they knew if the tower was open at Nasa and they said "let me check".

They said its open and try them on 128.55. I called them up and requested low pass and they immediately came back with "report the right base for rwy 33 cleared low pass at or above 100'.

Very nice tower people all around today!

NY version of SLF :D

Soft cover blown off by Hurricane Sandy.

Permanent more sturdy hangar built.

Back