What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-7/9 carbon fiber panels

Aerosport1

Well Known Member
I have had a number of request for a carbon fiber panel like the RV-10 panels we make. We are in the final design of the Symmetrical slider panel for the
RV-7 and 9. Looking for a little feed back. We still have a few items to sort out but this is very close to the final design. We will also have a option for the throttle quadrant. This panel has 2 AFS 5600 screens in it which shows the amount of real estate in the panel.
We are also working on a A symmetrical panel which will have 2 screens in front of the left seat pilot. These panels will be an easy install in new or upgrading flying aircraft.
http://aerosportproducts.com

0_0_4537697ebf450b2dfd2c7ed976e827d8_1

0_0_6aafd53333fd26e220cf266108499baa_1

Last edited:
Those panels look nice!

I've been working on getting plans together for a panel upgrade, and your panel design might just fit the ticket. Since completing my RV-7 two years ago, I've removed two RAC servo trim indicators, one 3 1/8" instrument, one alternate air pull-cable, and one electrical switch. My panel looks like it needs a little TLC!

Is there a timetable for production?

Hi Geoff,

The panels look very nice and will sell like hotcakes! :D
Any panel reinforcing changes for the center stack radios?

tippers, too?

Geoff,

You mention a symmetrical slider panel. I understand this as referring to the slider canopy? Any plans for a tip-up model?

How about other items for the 7/9? Consoles, etc?

Thanks,

Sean

The Timeline should be the end of January 2012 for the first panel. We
Are working on the tip ups but will take a little longer. The center stack
Is supported by the carbon panel just like Rv-10 panels and additional
Rear support as needed.

Geoff

Very nice. Not that I'm in the market for a panel anytime soon, but I just had to comment.

Based on where you show the longerons meeting the panel, it looks like this is oversized as compared to the standard 7/9 panel. Unfortunately, my knees would need the space taken by the rocker switches.

Are you considering a standard sized panel as well as the version your drawing is depicting?

A couple of minor issues:

1. It doesn't look like you will be able to activate the flaps w/o removing your hand from the throttle.

2. No place for a rotary dimmer

3. You are stuck using a key

4. Limited number of switches.

5. Must use breakers and not breaker switches.

6. No panel lights / spot lights

7. No good location for 12 Volt power ports AKA cigarette lighter plugs.

Other than those small issues, I like the look of the panel.

Last edited:
Very nice

Very nice panel, if the tip-up version is available when I get to that stage I will have to seriously conisder it... and even more with a throttle quadrant!
But still at least a year away from ordering anything for my panel.
Alain

I would love to have a panel like that if it had rectangular inserts at the bottom for switches and breakers so I could use the type of switches and breakers that I already have in my panel.

You can use any type switch or breakers you want. The panel has plenty of room for switches 12volt accessory outlets and many other items.

Geoff

Since the 7/9 has half as many seats as the 10, the price of the panel will be half as much right? :D

Ah! but this is like a haircut!

Since the 7/9 has half as many seats as the 10, the price of the panel will be half as much right? :D

Just like a haircut. They are not charging you what they take away. They are charging you for what they leave behind!

1. It doesn't look like you will be able to activate the flaps w/o removing your hand from the throttle.

The RV-10s that I've flown with similiar configuration, it's easy to reach with a thumb or finger.

2. No place for a rotary dimmer
Sure there is, where do you want one?

3. You are stuck using a key
If you don't want a key, don't install one. You can put your rotary dimmer or anything else you want in that location.

4. Limited number of switches.
Why do you say that? How many do you need/want?

5. Must use breakers and not breaker switches.
Same as above, you can install whatever you like, even a VP-X.

6. No panel lights / spot lights
Ditto

7. No good location for 12 Volt power ports AKA cigarette lighter plugs.
Ditto

Other than those small issues, I like the look of the panel.
Me too! Especially since I have the RV-10 asymetrical version in my RV-10.

I'm not really picking on Bill, although I may be a little. :D With the panel inserts you get from Geoff, you can locate anything where ever your heart desires. The lower carbon fiber areas aren't pre-drilled, so if you want to use a different device that what Geoff's folks anticipated, go fot it.

For example, both Strasnuts and I modified the throttle control area and put another insert there instead of the three holes. That's were I'm locating all my dimmer controls. I will confess that I didn't make the mod, one of Geoff's guys did the work.

The nice thing about the Aerosport panels is that they are infinitely variable to accomodate the many different products that are installed in our respective aircraft.

Standard disclaimer: While I do some web work for Geoff, I don't have any vested interest in his products or company other than being a friend and a customer of his.

Is it really an issue? Pretty much the only plane I've ever flown that didn't require me to take my hand off the throttle for flaps was a Stearman. But then again the only flaps available in a Stearman are the pedal to the floor/stick to the other side variety or as I like to call it, the ol' slip-o-death. ;) That being said, how hard would it be to rig a flap control on the stick if you so desired?

I have had a number of request for a carbon fiber panel like the RV-10 panels we make. We are in the final design of the Symmetrical slider panel for the
RV-7 and 9. Looking for a little feed back. We still have a few items to sort out but this is very close to the final design. We will also have a option for the throttle quadrant. This panel has 2 AFS 5600 screens in it which shows the amount of real estate in the panel.
We are also working on a A symmetrical panel which will have 2 screens in front of the left seat pilot. These panels will be an easy install in new or upgrading flying aircraft.

0_0_4537697ebf450b2dfd2c7ed976e827d8_1

0_0_6aafd53333fd26e220cf266108499baa_1

The panel looks very "factory" nice. For the most part, I don't see the need for a second panel, except for the bling factor.

I'd rather have a map box, and more leg room:D

Bring a fly example to Copperstate 2012 next year.

Last edited:
The panel looks very "factory" nice. For the most part, I don't see the need for a second panel, except for the bling factor.

I'd rather have a map box, and more leg room:D

Bring a fly example to Copperstate 2012 next year.

Then just install this from Geoff on the right side.

glove-box.jpg

The nice part of the Aerosport Products panels are that they are infinitely variable allowing the builder to locate just about anything wherever they want. It isn't a one size fit all solution.

Myself and a couple others have even modified the carbon fiber to add customized features. I hope to have photos posted in the RV-10 panel thread in a couple weeks when my panel is completed.

As N72CR stated, "factory nice" is the benefit of using Geoff's products. It allows soom of us to have nicer interiors than we could do ourselves. It appears that RV-7 builders are going to have similiar choices as the RV-10 builders in finishing their interiors.

Attached is the new Non symmetrical panel we are working on for the RV-7
and 9's. We are in the final design stages of both panels and hope
to have them available very soon. These panels should fit the Slider
and tip ups. These panel will hold many of the popular EFIS screens and other avionics.
Looking for any constructive comments while in the final design
phase.

0_0_216303f2aa02165f8ffccb3310fe65b4_1

0_0_d218b0edb7d0f6db1e8db38328e938a0_1

I will let you know when they are available
Thanks

Very Nice Geoff!
That sure would look great in the 7 i'm planning----uh dreaming about.
Suggestion? a console housing the selector valve cover, a throttle quadrant, and the boost pump cover. Oh, and easily disassembled for maintenence. Dreaming again!
Tom

Geoff,

Any issues with 10" versus 7" screens sizes?

Also, I have a Classic Aero Design interior. I had to commit to the stock locations for air vents in advance for the side panels to be produced. I wonder if the panel you are producing will be compatible with that interior piece and the "stock location" for the vents?

Everything looks very nice and ready to buy if it works with my setup.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Tom,
Can you mock up both panels with a 2 screen G3X setup, and can you tell me where I can send a check because I MUST HAVE ONE!

I like the centered panel, only if you can get two G3X screens on one side. If not I'll take the offset panel, RV-7, slider.

Question....

Does the non-symmetrical version push the radio stack too far over to allow the certified GPS to be legal as its own annunciator?

Question....

Does the non-symmetrical version push the radio stack too far over to allow the certified GPS to be legal as its own annunciator?

I'll let Geoff give the official comment on the the RV-7 panels, but my opinion is no. The reason for my opinion is that I have the RV-10 version of this panel in my aircraft. The GPS is right at the limit and within specifications. Since the RV-7 is narrower than the RV-10, I would tend to believe that it shouldn't be an issue in the RV-7.

bob

Here are some quick renderings with G3X screens. The Symmetrical panel is
very tight but should work OK. This gives some ideas of size and space avalible in these panels. Vent locations and Classic Aero interiors should be no
problem with these panels.
0_0_865a939137e4ad9f08a97bfce1a37b82_1

0_0_9257a3f1fb20b2855e70f5723f0e4c29_1

Geoff

Are the sub panels removeable for us slider builders? I will definitely get one if they are.

Absolutely. You can remove the insert panels and have full access behind the panel. Both right and left panels remove.

0_0_b97080f647e4c80085039434f68894ca_1

Geoff

Panel height

Is the height of the panel stock or have you extended it down. I didn't find it on your website yet. I have a height issue of my own and won't be able to deal with an extended panel.

Mark the panel is extended down 1.3". Sorry about that but we tried not to
but there was no way around it.
Geoff

Love the panel - I'm in...

My AFS 5600's just shipped! I'm waiting on your new panel to proceed... Please let me know when I can give you my credit card number! Please...

Mark Bengel

Geoff,

Looks like you just helped me gain some nice scrap aluminum for the rest of my build, the Van's stock panel blank.

Also, very nice access with the removeable panels.

I'll look forward to the purchase for:

RV-7
Tip-up
Symmetrical
Throttle quadrant

That is at the knee area. We can precut Aluminum insert panels with G3X cut outs.

Geoff

Last edited:
Will the engine control cables be able to be removed without removing the entire panel with this setup?

Thanks

Erich

Many folks with metal panels have a separate mounting bracket for the control cables that bolts to the bottom of the panel so that the whole panel does not have to be removed to remove a control cable. WOrthy of consideration I think

erich

You do not have to remove the panel to get out the cables. However if you want to remove the entire panel then you might have to remove the cable completely depending on how it is mounted in the panel.

Geoff

ETA

Geoff, do you have an estimate of when you will be ready to start shipping? I am ready for the symmetric slider...

Cheers
Frank

Just wanted to show the final design of the Asymmetrical panel. We have made some changes and feel we are ready to produce the mold. The symmetrical panel design will be finished early next week. Both panels will fit the slider and tip-up style canopies. The pictures shown are for the slider version. We plan to start deliveries the middle of next month or sooner.
0_0_6930c5f7b38770083039e67b1aca7ef5_1

0_0_f1b84bc6248c01fda3a3e20c71629c04_1

Geoff
Aerosport Products

Back