What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SikaFlex Finished on my Tipup Canopy

BSwayze

Well Known Member
I finally got my website updated, showing all my work with the SikaFlex job on my tipup canopy. I have added lots of pictures and description of my efforts, starting with the final prep work here:

SikaFlex Job on My Tipup Canopy

Meanwhile, here are just a few highlight shots:

After a lot of prep work to get everything ready, cleaning and special primer, a V-shaped Sika bead is being applied to the canopy frame:

P1030615%20(Small).JPG

After the canopy is all in place, smoothing out the filets while the Sika is still soft. I used popsicle stick spacers under the front of the canopy, to lift it a bit for a nice bonding layer of Sika.

P1030620%20(Small).JPG

Here's a shot of how it turned out, after 2 days of work, riveting, and cleanup:

P1030643%20(Small).JPG

Here's a closeup of the side. No more clecos! No holes in this canopy, and no hardware.

P1030650%20(Small).JPG

How it came out on the interior, over the aft canopy frame:

P1030639%20(Small).JPG

Later on, back on the plane:

P1030670%20(Small).JPG

Again, these are just a few highlight shots. There's lots more, and a lot more detail in my log pages. Click on the link above if you'd like to see more. I'm pleased with how this is turning out.

I'll have pics soon of the standard fiberglass layups and fairing I'm doing across the front of the canopy.

Nice!!!!

Very nice work Bruce. Lots of good information on your site. Have fun on the next part!!!

Bruce

Your timing is perfect. Just this past weekend, I cut up my tipper canopy. I decided long ago to Sikaflex my canopy. You are an inspiration! Thanks for posting the pics.
I've followed your website for years, 'cuz I'm over 5 years on my build as well. It's not a race.:) I think I'm enjoying the project as much as you are.
It's a great feeling reaching milestones. Congratulations.!
Now, if you're free and can spare a week end, I could use an experieced hand.....no pressure!! It' s only a 6 hour drive. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Bruce,

I have bookmarked your page for near-future reference since I plan to bond my canopy to the frame. Thanks for the help. You have now entered the rarefied position of being among the likes of Dan Horton and Paul Dye! You do good work!

Jim

Well Done

Congratulations Bruce on completing this major milestone. I am hoping to successfully SikaFlex my canopy in the next couple of weeks. I have been planning and working up to it for months now and I am so ready to be done with this canopy! I'm sure your experiences along with others posted on the forums will help me immeasurably.

Nicely done Bruce.

I am glad you will be flying long before I will so I can invite you down to my build to help me when I get there!

Keep up the great work!

Sikaflex

Bruce
I used Sikaflex on the windscreen of my 9A slider. It came out really great.
I wish I had known about it when I did the canopy.

A friend from Chapter 105 did some testing and found that the bond is so strong that he could not pull appart a test piece with his pick-up truck.

I just hope I never have to replace my windscreen!
See you at OSH
Jim Frisbie
Rv-9A N571DF
250 hrs.

Bruce
A friend from Chapter 105 did some testing and found that the bond is so strong that he could not pull appart a test piece with his pick-up truck.

I just hope I never have to replace my windscreen!
See you at OSH
Jim Frisbie
Rv-9A N571DF
250 hrs.

Jim, I hadn't heard that story. Amazing! Yes, this material is incredible, and so easy to work with. I'm not sure I mentioned it yet, but it sands very nicely too, once it has cured, and doesn't clog up the sandpaper. After sanding, the roughed up surface absorbs and bonds very tenaciously to the epoxy resin and fiberglass. This was one of my concerns before I started... whether or not the fiberglass layups over the front would stick to the material. So I did a test strip, simply spreading a bead of Sika on a scrap piece of aluminum. A week later, I sanded it real good and then mixed up some epoxy. I dripped some resin on the material, and also laid down a small piece of fiberglass cloth. Both stuck so hard to the Sika that a knife blade won't separate them. You can cut the material with a sharp knife but it won't let go.

Thank you all, very very much for your kind compliments. I can't tell you how much that means to me. Here's a picture of my epoxy test strip:

P1030894%20(Small).JPG

Looks great Bruce. That's a major milestone. You're getting closer to flying everyday. I can't wait until you get your airplane finished so we can go flying together.

Mark

SikaFlex installation, RV-14A

Bruce:

Between you and Bruce Hill, I had lots of great information, examples, tips, and answers to my many questions before I made the decision to use SikaFlex.

Thanks very much for the well-documented build sequence and narrative.

Attachments

• IMG_5136.jpg
    IMG_5136.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 150
Back