What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1000 hours on plane 700 hours flying it

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
It was a great day for me in Texas Saturday. Beautiful blue Texas skies were calling, and I flew about 4.5 hours over West Texas and New Mexico. Stopped for gas at Lubbock Executive Airport and met some nice people including a Texas Tech Mechanical Engineering student working as a line boy. It was a great day for many reasons but most of all I had no where to be and no time to be there. I flew the direction I wanted, at the altitude I wanted (consistent with FARs of course) and took extra time circling anything interesting.

After flying back to Fort Worth I caught my logbook up. Here are the totals. Not bad for a guy who never flew for pay.

My RV-8 passed 1000 flying hours on Saturday. I am the 4th owner but I now have 700 hours in the plane, 1600 total hours, 900 tail wheel hours, and over 1200 cross country hours since starting training in Galesburg, IL in 1985.

There were a couple of periods since 1985 when I could not fly due to lack of funds or because there was just too much going on in my life, but there has never been a day in my life where I did not love airplanes and dream of flying.

Quite a day, which was beautifully capped off by a Cubs playoff win! Close enough to perfect for me.

20161008_114303-M.jpg

Congrats on 1000!

With 1000 hours, you get a prop badge at OshKosh.
I'm working on mine for next year. I'm at 932 now.

Of course, they need to create a new badge for Turbo as they don't have a 5000 hour badge yet. :)

Last edited:
Very cool

Just passed 2,500 myself and self funded...only 130 in RV8 however, rest in variety of aircraft. 670 on floats.

It was a great day for many reasons but most of all I had no where to be and no time to be there. I flew the direction I wanted, at the altitude I wanted (consistent with FARs of course) and took extra time circling anything interesting.

The best kind of flying there is!

When I went to Oshkosh this year the plane was at about 980. I wanted the 1000 hour prop badge so bad but just could not fit in enough flying before arrival.

Colojo - Amen to that!

Mikey - lets do some trips together. We might come up to Petite Jean this weekend if I finish up a little maintenance Friday night.

Roadrunner - good job. See you there.

Berchmans - floats - very cool. Gotta do that someday.

Back