What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Empennage - Remove Vert and Horz

ADub

I am driving out to purchase a completed empennage for RV-10. After inspecting I plan to load it up. The picture from the seller is from the bottom as it is hanging up so I cannot see if the Vertical Stabilizer is attached but the Horizontal Stabilizer is attached. I do not yet have a set of plans. Can anyone tell me tools needed to remove the Vertical and Horizontal Stabilizers from the tail for transport? thanks in advance!
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ0YXAtYXNzZXRzMSIsImtleSI6IjU1NTMyNS5qcGcifQ==

Very easy. Small 1/4 inch drive socket set will do it. 3/8 and 7/16 from memory and matching open end wrenches. I like stubbies. About 5 mins for vertical and 10 for the horizontal. Experienced guy half that. The hardest part is working the trim cables out but that is way easier than working them back in. I used sturdy ribbon as a fish to make the reassembly easier.
Might take 10 mins longer if the fairing is attached which I doubt.
Throw the attach hardware in your construction test assembly jar and use brand new hardware for final assembly.

Last edited:
Might take 10 mins longer if the fairing is attached which I doubt.
Throw the attach hardware in your construction test assembly jar and use brand new hardware for final assembly.

The fuse fairing isn?t included in the tail cone kit for whatever reason. It won?t be there. It also looks like the top skins are left off.

Thank you woxofswa and Brantel! This is about what I guessed and hoped for. I will pack a few tools to get the job done.

Also getting QB Wing and Fuselage, and Finish Kit. But I am guessing the fairing is not on yet.

Back