What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling flap hinge

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I’m trying to figure out how to clamp the flap hinge to the wing for drilling the hinge. It would be convenient to line it up in the wing stand because it is easier to line up the aileron to the correct position there. If I lay it on the bench the flap weight can be supported better.

What’s the easiest way to get it done?

And I found this page:
https://theskunkwerx.com/rv7/mounting-the-left-flap-part-2/

Looks like a good way to go.

Last edited:
For my RV8, I put the wings on the table, lay out the flap and connected the aileron. This allowed me to align the flap trailing edge to the aileron trailing edge. Then I lay out the piano hinge. I found out that I need a wider half of the hinge in order to make both trailing edges equal. Drilled the pilot holes on the ends and the clecos will keep things aligned enough for me to finish drilling out the rest of the holes.

Hinge

Start here.
The alignment is easy. The aileron is mounted so a jig to hold it is useful. You'll need it later anyway. Search for wingtip mounting methods. Lots of ways to lock the aileron in trail. I fabricated a jig. Long piece of flat aluminum drilled to match the tooling holes with a line from end to end. Bolt it. Line up the aileron to the line and clamp. Trace the surface to the jig. Remove and trim exactly. Grab a piece of 2x4x12. Trace the cut out and cut. Bolt the jig back in place. Slip the block over both the jig and aileron. Locks it in place in trail.
Clamp the flap with hinge per the tips in the link above. Grab a long piece of aluminum angle. Lay it on the edge. Move the flap till the angle is in contact with the aileron and flap. Double check the gap.

Back