What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting Spirals on prop spinner for anti-bird affects

AirMarty

Greetings,
Does anyone know where I can find prop spiral information to reduce the possibility of bird strikes. My RV-7 has a white 2-blade prop with red tips. The airplane is white over red. My first attempt was to just paint 2/3rds red and 1/3rd white. It strobed okay on slow RPM but turned pink on higher rpm. Wondering if I should try Luftwaffe spinner spirals (where to find thickness?), go with a 'where's Waldo' Red and White stipes, or just stay solid red?

Tape!

Easy to get colored tape, apply it in a pattern that looks like a possibility and try it. Rinse and repeat until you like it (or the birds hate it.) Stretchy vinyl tape can be had at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Actually, I thought the spiral on military airplanes was intended to confuse or distract enemy gunners. Just a little hesitation might make a difference. And it looks cool. I’d never heard about dissuading birds from coming around.

I think your 2/3 red and 1/3 white is probably fine the way you have it. I might have just done 1/2 and 1/2.

The claim/evidence is that birds have a higher "update rate" in their vision and although it just looks pink to you, they will see it flash.

Remember too that on final approach where you are most likely to encounter birds, you will be at reduced RPM. Well, unless you like buzzing your field.

I painted my spinner approximately 2/3 red and 1/3 white. The actual parting line was based on where the fixed pitch propeller cut outs were located on the spinner. I originally masked the spinner for a spiral design but didn't really like how it was turning out. 3M has some FINE LINE tape that is used in the auto-painting world and comes in various widths. It is easy to apply and form curved designs.

The duck that dove into the leading edge of my RV-6 never had time to see a spinner.........

Who knows how birds think and react.

Last edited:
The duck that dove into the leading edge of my RV-6
The duck population might argue that it was the other way around ;)

Well, for one thing we know that birds generally dive when attacked...
When my company received it's MD-80s, many moons ago, hi intensity flashing lights were mounted on the belly of a couple of airplanes for testing. A few years on they were removed as they was no clear difference as to the bird strikes frequency.

There was some testing, by the Brits amongst others, to demonstrate the effectiveness on the spinner. AFAIR, the effectiveness was not due to any shape, but to the contrast of colors giving a flashing effect. Triangles or even wide stripes are to work as good or even better than spirals.

We have a lot of deer up here. I’m now thinking of both painting the spinner AND gluing on deer whistles.

Attachments

• 12D57276-C0E3-4042-82F7-25021FE45F79.jpeg
    12D57276-C0E3-4042-82F7-25021FE45F79.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
We have a lot of deer up here. I’m now thinking of both painting the spinner AND gluing on deer whistles.

Funny, I was wondering if anyone was going to mention the deer whistles.

I think there IS some statistical evidence that the contrasting paint flash does help with birds. Other than 'testimonials' is there any evidence that deer whistles work?

Although deer can be a problem in some rural airfields, the drag of one of those things out in the breeze all the time would be a pretty high price to pay.

Bobby Lucroy in Georgetown TX has an A-UG-AH horn mounted inside his cowling.

ever seen a deer when they hear something?
They stop...motionless, except for a little sniff action and radar ears trying to lock onto something.
I don't want to give some deer that's sneaking across some dark road in my path reason to stop, sniff, and look around.....

I’ve done spiral spinners several times. One tip, don’t have the spiral go around the spinner multiple times. Just once is enough.

ever seen a deer when they hear something?
They stop...motionless, except for a little sniff action and radar ears trying to lock onto something.
I don't want to give some deer that's sneaking across some dark road in my path reason to stop, sniff, and look around.....
Except... The noise from the whistle will reach them at the same time the noise from your car (or airplane) does. Both travel at the same speed. :cool:

Very interesting discussion. I bet the studies that proved these out are really interesting too. Anyone have a link?

Back