What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tick on Jam Nuts

Tall_Order

Patron
Starting to install select components for (potentially) the final time and was wondering if which side the tick is on matters for a jam nut? The surface is smooth on either side. Is this a manufacturing indicator or an assembly indicator?

Attachments

• JamNut.jpg
    JamNut.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 291
Does it thread on either way? Or does the “tick” provide some locking feature? If it distorts the threads enough to lock it. I imagine that you would thread it on the non tick side first to get it started, but I’ve never seen that tick before..

Any fastener experts?

Does it thread on either way? Or does the “tick” provide some locking feature? If it distorts the threads enough to lock it.

I cleaned off the threads from the previous picture and the nut threads on very easily in either direction. The difference appears to be only the marking itself but I am always learning...

Attachments

• Nut2.jpg
    Nut2.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 145
The best way is to drill a hole in the jam nut for safety wiring.
It is also possible to safety wire using the tick mark.

Good luck

I just re-read Vic's chapter on jam nuts and I don't see anything about the tick mark. Maybe he'll see your post and chime in, but I'm guessing it's not relevant.

I just checked the AN316 (Nut, Jam, Hexagon) standard and there is no mention of the 'tick' mark. My guess is that it is a manufacturer's indication.

Are you sure those are AN parts?

I didn't find any grade identification markings matching what is on yours. To me, they look almost like someone tried to peen the nut after installation as a locking mechanism. Either that or a defect.

Thanks for the input, everyone

Are you sure those are AN parts?

I keep my aerospace hardware in separate cabinets. These would have come from 1 of 2 possible sources...

To me, they look almost like someone tried to peen the nut after installation as a locking mechanism. Either that or a defect.

To be clear, these nuts have been purchased but not installed. This is a new build.

Thanks for all the input everyone. This is an interesting one!

I keep my aerospace hardware in separate cabinets. These would have come from 1 of 2 possible sources...

To be clear, these nuts have been purchased but not installed. This is a new build.

Thanks for all the input everyone. This is an interesting one!

All of my AN316 nuts from Van's have the mark. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

You can clearly see it on Van's store pic: https://store.vansaircraft.com/3-8-24-thin-jam-nut-an316-6r.html

If anything I'd have it face towards the rod end in case the mark distorted the jam face a bit. Even that's pushing it.

Well, I'll be dipped...I went to my parts bins and dug out an AN3-16-3, -4, and -6 and damned if they don't ALL have that little mark.

IMG_2962.jpg

Odder still, and I think I noticed *this* before but didn't think anything of it, one side of every nut has a sort of "washer-like" raised portion, on the side that the "mark" is on:

IMG_2964.jpg

while the other side is, as expected, plain.

I just re-read Vic's chapter on jam nuts and I don't see anything about the tick mark. Maybe he'll see your post and chime in, but I'm guessing it's not relevant.

Some nuts have a smooth raised side that looks like a machined washer. I alwyas put that side towards the side that the load is against, such as the part you are locking down.

Truth be told, I don't know if it matters a whole lot. They look like A194 heavy hex nuts, but those are usually for larger bolts/machinery.

If you look at exhaust stud nuts that come with the Lycoming engine have the same look and feel, but no tick mark. I put the washer side against the lock washer.

Vic

Vic

Orientation of this jam nut depends which side of the equator you primarily fly in. The tick mark side goes against the the jamming side of the assembly for aircraft in the Southern Hemisphere.

Mark

Its just a reference mark, so when you turn it a number of flats you dont lose track of your turns.

Back