What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 496, European version ARRG!!

terry.mortimore

Well Known Member
Hi gang:

I just purchased a used Garmin 496 and I come to find out that it is a European version and does not include the US maps or the XM weather ability.

I've been told that the maps are available with a $49.00 upgrade, but does anyone know if the XM weather capability is a software upgrade or ????

I have an email into Garmin, but I thought I'd ask here as well.

Thanks, Terry.

xm radio...

As I understand it xm radio availability is based on satalite coverage, which is focused over the US... if you have a x96 along with the xm antenna you should be good to go.

There are a few channels that will come in without a subscription so it is easy to test.

Last edited:
Are you sure you have a 496 and not a 495? There is no xm weather in Europe - in fact there is no satellite radio, full stop. So a 495 has no xm receiver. If it is a 496 I'm guessing you will be able to enable the xm, although you may not have the antenna, etc, in the box? The other issue is that your base map will be Europe, and I believe it cannot be changed. So the terrain, roads, etc will not be visible in the US. The aeronautical data can be refreshed/overwritten, but the base map is fixed.

Pete

496 is different in Europe

Rather naughtily, Garmin market a 496 in Europe which is just a slightly enhanced 495. As XM satellite only covers the N.American continent to the dismay of lots of European aviators, there isn't much point including the satellite receiver.
As has been said, a database update will take care of the Jeppesen data, but you'll never be able to get weather. A 496 is only ?100 more than a 495 in the UK.
To see what you're probably getting have a look at http://www.gps.co.uk/GPS/Garmin-Portable/Garmin-GPSMAP-496-Colour/p-94-192-447/

Garmin 496, European version.

Rather naughtily, Garmin market a 496 in Europe which is just a slightly enhanced 495. As XM satellite only covers the N.American continent to the dismay of lots of European aviators, there isn't much point including the satellite receiver.
As has been said, a database update will take care of the Jeppesen data, but you'll never be able to get weather. A 496 is only ?100 more than a 495 in the UK.
To see what you're probably getting have a look at http://www.gps.co.uk/GPS/Garmin-Portable/Garmin-GPSMAP-496-Colour/p-94-192-447/

Hi Mark, that would explain it.

That's disappointing, I guess I'll wait till the unit arrives to decide what to do with it. I did not over pay for it, so I could put it up for sale again and see what happens. I'm a year or so away from flying, so I can sit on it for a while and make a decision.

Thanks for the information, Terry.

Garmin 496 European version, buyer beware.

Hi gang, I've received my 496 and just wanted to give an update.

It is indeed a European version of the 496, but you would not know it by looking at it. It has all the external markings of the N. American version, except the missing port for the XM antenna input. Even the manual is not marked, the only clue a buyer would have is the lack of XM weather information in the manual.

My unit works well and is in perfect shape, so I'm still undecided about it.

I have not heard much talk about how useful XM weather coverage in Canada is, so until I hear some positive talk about XM weather in Canada I may use this unit.

Cheers, Terry.

I have not heard much talk about how useful XM weather coverage in Canada is, so until I hear some positive talk about XM weather in Canada I may use this unit.
I've got an Aera 510 with XM weather, and I find it quite useful. The Canadian radar data only covers the southern part of the country, so you wouldn't get that benefit if you travelled too far north. The coverage area seems to match that of Environment Canada radars, except the data is chopped off at 55 deg N. But if you stick close to the major population centres there is good coverage. There appears to be pretty complete METAR and TAF coverage - the only place I could find that is missing is Alert, but that shouldn't be an issue for most of us.

Europe IPad navigation apps?

A bit off topic but, does anyone know of or recommend any iPad apps for use in Europe? Particularly Greece & Italy... thx.:)

i use www.pocketfms.com heavily

XM will never work over europe, as it's based on geostationary satellites over north america.

provided you can get some kind of datalink (gprs, umts), pocketfms does have visual weather and radar picture capability, although not very high resolution. but it's a very powerful application for flight planning and inflight navigation.

regards,
bernie

XM will never work over europe, as it's based on geostationary satellites over north america.

Momentary thread drift: it's a common misconception that geostationary satellites are fixed in place above the USA, but it's physically impossible to have such an orbit. All geostationary satellites are directly above the equator, and then point their cameras or transmitters in the direction of interest from there. Your free fact for the day.
Erich

Last edited:
Back