What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X logging

rcarsey

Well Known Member
So I've been using the Garmin Pilot Logbook along with my old paper logbook for about a year now. I generally don't use the app on my phone/ipad in the aircraft.. and it seems that Garmin has been cheating me of my well-earned hours.

My usual procedure is to take the SD card out of the G3X and upload the .csv file to the fly.garmin.com website. Modify some fields such as Cross Country, PIC, and Solo .. then "Accept" it so its added to the electronic logbook. I can argue that their website should be smart enough to know what is a cross-country flight and what isn't, but I understand that all three of these fields are difficult/impossible to import automatically and correctly.

But certainly, the TOTAL TIME and FLIGHT TIME fields should be correct, right? TOTAL TIME might be subject to some limitations/settings (i.e. only count time when their is oil pressure.. or count all time in the .csv file.. etc). And FLIGHT TIME may be subject to airspeed or AGL/MSL altitude limits).

In the attached .csv file, we have 00:43:01 (0.72 hr) of total time logged (each .csv line has a timestamp), and 00:42:41 (0.72 hr) of normal-oil-pressure time. I realize that the G3X has some settings to count "Tach hours" based on a reference RPM setting.. that doesn't seem to be at play here because that reference isn't contained in the .csv.

However, upon importing into Garmin Pilot Logbook, it auto-determines 0.56 hrs (33 minutes, 36 seconds).. which is roughly a 30% difference. This is huge for someone who is time-building.

I realize that "30%" is a good rule-of-thumb for converting between tach and hobbs hours.. but for pilot logbook purposes, tach should never be used. I'm not quite sure if I'm misunderstanding their website, if a Van's Settings File setting is at play.. or if this is the best Garmin has come up with..

https://bluehawk.monmouth.edu/~rcarsey/log_20220424_180636_3N6.csv

Attachments

• 2022-04-25 11_08_55-flyGarmin - Logbook Entries.png
    2022-04-25 11_08_55-flyGarmin - Logbook Entries.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 77
May seem crazy, but can you look up your tail number on FlightAware, and go through the files and flights, and log actual flying time from there, instead, for your tach time?

For me, I add about .1 hr for taxi and run up time, and .1 hr for taxi and parking in my hangar. That should work for hours logged for flight.

I do know that for maintenance purposes, Rotax does not want you using tach time for oil changes and such, they want you going off of Hobbs hours.

Probably just easier to keep an old school pen and paper log book, if the headaches are too great going this way.

Last edited:
Rotax does not want you using tach time for oil changes and such

Thats correct. I should pay more attention to what numbers I use for oil changes. I know the G3X simply reports the "Engine Hours" from whatever the Rotax ECU says -- I don't know if the ECU reports tach or real hours though.. I haven't been paying close attention.

Last edited:
There's been a thread on this before. Loggable time is from when the plane first moves under its own power till engine shutdown. Not the same as Hobbs, or tach, or flight time. Yes, I know...

The G3X Touch has a timer that you can use for getting a good number.

I've requested that Loggable Time be recorded. [email protected] if you want to add your name to the request.

Ed

Back