What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Year's Day Fly In KHII Lake Havasu City

bruceh

Well Known Member
All CA and AZ RV'ers,

The annual tradition of a New Year's day flight is on.

Hangar 24 brewery and restaurant on the field will be open at 11am MST (10am PST).

As long as the weather forecast holds out, it should be clear for Saturday.

All CA and AZ RV'ers,

Hangar 24 brewery and restaurant on the field will be open at 11am MST (10am PST).

Not open to Nevada RVers?

OH, OK. Nevada can come too!

Just don't show up in a Cessna. :D

Hey watch it Bruce! My wife and I flew our C-172 to many fly-ins prior to becoming an "owner". Of course I parked with the other High-Wingers to save embarrassment, but still.... :D

See you on the 1st!

Marc and Rita

All CA and AZ RV'ers,

Good news: weather clear…..bad news: HII winds forecast is 17-28kts at 10am 😬

I was there the other day.. be advised that there are some taxiway closures, so don’t let that catch you off guard. The biggest thing was if you wanted to depart 14 full length, you’d have to back taxi from A3.. Saves some time if you back taxi as a flock instead of one at a time!

So the weather at Lake Havasu looks to be pretty windy for tomorrow.

I'm going to be unable to attend, since my kid has come down with COVID. :eek:

She's fully vaccinated and boosted (works in the medical field as a neurologist).
I'm going into quarantine for the next week, and hopefully won't contract it from her (we are all fully vacinated and boosted).
So far she is recovering fine with just a sore throat and head cold symptoms.

Stay safe and healthy, folks!
Here's to hoping that 2022 is better than 2020/2021! :)

I always admired the New Years fly in to Lake Havasu. Used to live in Vegas. I kept the following picture as my phone background during my build. Plan to fly west some day.
Bob327BB521-2702-4753-AFB9-73869EBFC262.jpeg

I just called Havasu AWOS at 0815 Mountain (Havasu) time and the wind is being reported as 320 at 14. Weathermeister has the wind at 320 at 13 G 18. It is breezy to be sure, so consider your own personal minimums.

-Marc

I just called Havasu AWOS at 0815 Mountain (Havasu) time and the wind is being reported as 320 at 14. Weathermeister has the wind at 320 at 13 G 18. It is breezy to be sure, so consider your own personal minimums.

-Marc

Too windy for me….😒 Was just looking at ForeFlight traffic to see if anybody was heading to HII… only saw one ,(814RV) a bit east of Twentynine Palms. Saw you make a 180 a few minutes later…good move as the winds at HII are now @ 30kts according to ForeFlight!

Too windy for me….😒 Was just looking at ForeFlight traffic to see if anybody was heading to HII… only saw one ,(814RV) a bit east of Twentynine Palms. Saw you make a 180 a few minutes later…good move as the winds at HII are now @ 30kts according to ForeFlight!

Yup, that was me/us. When we left LGB it looked like the wind was easing off and it was within my comfort level. When we listened to AWOS and checked the weather at 60 miles out it was 310 at 22G29. I told the wife no joy and we notified LA center.

Good news! Everyone walked away and the airplane can be used again! :D

Maybe next year.

We'll be trying for Santa Paula tomorrow morning.

-Marc and Rita

Let's do it again! Weather permitting, I'll fly out. I know Ethan D. is also interested (RV-10 from KSEE).

Long range forecast currently has us with rain all week, so fingers crossed...

Last edited:
Back