What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reposition RV-12 by Truck or Trailer?

[email protected]

Well Known Member
I need to reposition an RV-12 to a location about 1300 miles from where it is now. I know it can be flown, but with the destructive weather the country has been suffering, I'm wondering whether I can remove the wings and just have the plane driven to its new location by truck or enclosed trailer. Has anyone done that, and if so, is there a company you would recommend for such a job?

Fly it!

Flying will be much better for the airplane. I just flew a Cub from the Houston area to the Seattle area, which took five days. Even with weather delays it's still faster than trucking, etc. If you're not comfortable flying it, there are many who would be...

Dan

RV 12 Truck or Trailer moving

FYI be sure the truck or trailer is wide enough. When I moved mine all the U haul trailers were not wide enough for the gear, I found a fellow EAA er that had a wide trailer, worked great. The 12'" by 20 ft loading boards were bit scary, but was ok. Maybe the trucks are wider! I would have flown mine except the neighbors and street were short!! HA Good Luck

Last edited:
RV12 trailer move

I just moved my RV 12 from Ca to Or in my 8.5x24 inclosed trailer. Wings mounted on each side and a/c wheels had 2" clearance on trailer whee wells. Trip went well.

Trailer

We bought a trailer made for the rv12 .... new....hauled from Vans to Denver to Wisconsin . No issues. Has slats for wings. Plan to sell trailer at EAA.
Agree flying it would have been better. Not a pilot yet at the time.
Tim

RV-12 Custom Trailer for moving plane

We had a custom trailer made for moving our RV-12 from Phoenix area to Seatte area in the summer. If you would like to use it you are welcome. I recommend flying the airplane if you can find a patch of reasonable weather, but if you have dates and don't want to risk anything, trailering works.

Back