What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advanced flight systems in N819DJ

Jackm

Well Known Member
14.4 hrs on Hobbs time to give Kudos to one of the most exciting technology providers in aviation experimental.
Our panel. Two 5500 non touch, one 5400 touch, Garmin 430w,VPX,SL30,PMA8000BT,Remote trans, Freeflight ADSB, Gaurdian CO/ox,

Install and wiring was very straight forward with well documented manual from AFS. Setup was pre setup for our 10 from AFS and fine tuning was done with few phone calls. We have a lot to learn yet but the initial experience while flying dumbfounds me of it capabilities and its ease of use. Displays Radar weather and traffic on moving map. Engine monitoring extremely visual and easy to scan. Audio alarm warning you of any conditions needing attention.( I think they are Jenny H voice so they are easy on ears) Autopilot couples and controls smooth and flawless. List goes on and on.
But main reason we bought from AFS is because of the service they provide. If you call in, the first selection on the menu is SERVICE not sales. Their team has proved that to us as we are extremely satisfied with the product and support. They know their product intimately and provide a professional product with capabilities and technology we mostly only dreamed of.

Good on u AFS and Thank You.
8d107ced-0d50-445f-8b2a-493514b31047_zpsbd6009dc.jpg

8fa2afbd-95d8-4020-8c57-c0b88a69c0c0_zps0038782c.jpg

Video to follow.

Great Service at AFS 👍

I'll second that..!

My gear gets used a fair amount getting around the western US in both VFR & IFR. Handy stuff with amazing technology compared to the equipment I fly at work.

Without getting into irrelevant details, had a very minor issue with an EFIS and brought it up to Rob's attention. He suggested sending it in for a look. However, I was within RV range and asked if I could run it up to them personally?

To my surprise, Rob invited me over to his airpark home. Landed my 8A at his grass runway where HE personally helped remove the EFIS. Yeah, HE did. Amongst various airplanes and RC models about his hangar we chatted and got to know each other for the first time.

We jumped in his rig and drove the suspect EFIS to the shop where his techs put it through diagnostics. Grabbed a Quiznos sandwich and did a short tour with the nice folks at AFS while my EFIS was looked at and upgraded-much better than when I brought it in.We reinstalled the upgraded EFIS back in my RV and I was home for dinner the same night.

Now where else can you fly to the head shed and get great personal service like that?

No drama. Great People, Great Service. No BS

Yeah, I'm also happy with my AFS gear. 😎👍

Nice work

14.4 hours already that's good work! Sweet panel pics. Hey I recognize that G430W. I never saw it powered up though :). Oh yes and AFS rocks.

I can't wait to slide out the 430 and slide in the new Avidyne 440...anyone with 650 will have buyers remorse:) I'll still be your friend though Bryan...even though we will have to deal with all the Nav issues related to your 650:)

What issues? or is that some sort of private joke?

Sorry Bob...Bryan been ribbing us about our 430w since day one...just pushing back little:)

Sorry Bob...Bryan been ribbing us about our 430w since day one...just pushing back little:)

Although I think I have to side with Bryan. Those nice 5000s and a 430w. If you had a 650, then you would have had a top notch panel all around. :p

Of course I can't throw stones. I ended up with a pair of used 4500s to save a few bucks. I'm envious of the 5000s. But I do have a 650. :D

Good News

It is very comforting to here these stories. I also will be using AFS for just all those reasons we have heard. This is not the first post with the same kind response.
I'm currently at the 90% 90% to go.. Still having fun after 8 years

Few more pictures

78594039-2130-42ce-aafe-1011fc2a58e0_zps0c3d0c0a.jpg

ADSB weather on 5500 MFD

46a70d27-7fa6-4a7f-84ac-8577cf3bbe09_zpsd2657e07.jpg

Complete panel view. Upper center is waiting for Mini efis.

Although I think I have to side with Bryan. Those nice 5000s and a 430w. If you had a 650, then you would have had a top notch panel all around. :p

Of course I can't throw stones. I ended up with a pair of used 4500s to save a few bucks. I'm envious of the 5000s. But I do have a 650. :D

Bob, I will add that I really like the new 5400...I was reserved at first impression but the more I use it, its touch functionality is awesome. I believe the 4500 is same physical size as 5400 and may be updatable.

Back