What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B weather radar

This thread scares me just a bit. I hope everyone understands that NEXRAD weather and ads-b are planning and big picture aids. They should not be used to avoid convective activity while flying in actual IFR conditions. The NTSB has attributed quite a few fatal accidents to pilots who attempted this. The time delay is simply to long. Here is a link to a article on the subject.

http://www.maxtrescott.com/max_tres...eather-age-misleading-and-killing-pilots.html

George

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see anyone talking about skirting wx in this thread. Just discussing ADS-B performance:confused:

Skirting

If you read the 3rd. post you will see we did go around(skirt) in vfr conditions the bad stuff. The onboard NEXRAD is a tool, so is flight watch and pireps. Fly safe and use common sense.

Going around it yes....penetrating no...

The week before Osh as I was trying to get my Phase I testing completed due to the prop swap, the area was covered in scattered storms. The ADS-B FIS-B weather matched the local conditions "good enough for our purposes" and allowed me to complete my mission. Same could have been done with XM but it would have costed me $35.00 a month....

I flew with XM wx for about 5 years and have been using ADS-B with Foreflight for about a year. I miss XM's Channel 24, Margaritaville, more than I miss the higher definition XM wx images. Sure, it would be nice to view more precip definition but for for avoiding "yellow and red" ADS-B is adequate...and free.

Sporty's ADS-B & Portable Rcvrs Review

This webinar link from Sporty's is probably old hat for most of you. It does a great job reviewing ADS-B and also compares the differences between XM WX and ADS-B WX presentations and features. It also reviews some of the portable ADS-B receivers on the market and presents a detailed review of the integration of Stratus II with the I-pad and Foreflight.

watch

Skyradar/get

And don't forget, when installing these recievers a good externally mounted belly antenna is required if you expect good performance. If you just throw it up on top of your dash don't expect to much.

Weeeeeelllllll.......ymmv

I just got a Skyradar d2 and for my trip atl to cincy this weekend I simply tossed it in the passenger seat, threw the GPS antenna up on the glareshield and plugged it into the GRT USB port.

After setup on the GRT and iFly it worked flawlessly. I never saw older than 5 minute radar data and the traffic was great too. It helped me avoid a big line of twx stretching almost to nc on the return trip.

Now installing external antennae on the bottom.

I just got a Skyradar d2 and for my trip atl to cincy this weekend I simply tossed it in the passenger seat, threw the GPS antenna up on the glareshield and plugged it into the GRT USB port.

Hi Walkman,

What GRT's do you have? I am interested in the Skyradar setup and would like to run it through my GRT also. I have 2 HS screens and wonder if it will work on them, or do I have to upgrade to the HX screens?

Thanks!

Jon D.

Multiple Options (I think)

Hi Walkman,

What GRT's do you have? I am interested in the Skyradar setup and would like to run it through my GRT also. I have 2 HS screens and wonder if it will work on them, or do I have to upgrade to the HX screens?

Thanks!

Jon D.

Jon,
I ***THINK** that in order to connect the SkyRadar unit, you will need a GRT EFIS with at least one USB port. (I don't have the documentation before me so I don't remember the if either of the SkyRadar models can supply data via RS-232.

If your setup ONLY has a serial port available, you have at least TWO choices:
-NavWorx
- iLevil

I have NOT connected a NavWorx using serial but that was the first ADS-B box that GRT made work (two years ago???)

I recently connected an iLevil (SW) via RS-232 and it worked.

If you use USB, a powered USB hub is suggested for all of the GRT products and "required" for the Sport (SX) systems.

Hope this helps.

I've tried to use wingx, but I just find it really hard to navigate. Personally, I like the Garmin Pilot app. Big "buttons" that are easy to touch when things are bumpy and a mostly intuitive interface. Only problem is you're stuck with the GDL39, which is great if you have the G3X system, but otherwise it's not so great.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see anyone talking about skirting wx in this thread. Just discussing ADS-B performance:confused:

I attempted to use it to cut off 10 miles from my diversion and scoot between two dark green areas with a blob of yellow in each. It got pretty rocky for a couple of minutes. This was on "0" minutes old data where it showed I was in the clear. Wish I'd read that article first. Won't do that again, although I was not close to being at limits, just moderate rain and turbulence for a few minutes.

Hi Walkman,

Thanks!

Jon D.

I have the HXr which uses USB. I believe the older units need serial data, but I'm not sure. Check with GRT on that one.

Jon,
I ***THINK** that in order to connect the SkyRadar unit, you will need a GRT EFIS with at least one USB port. (I don't have the documentation before me so I don't remember the if either of the SkyRadar models can supply data via RS-232.

If your setup ONLY has a serial port available, you have at least TWO choices:
-NavWorx
- iLevil

I have NOT connected a NavWorx using serial but that was the first ADS-B box that GRT made work (two years ago???)

I recently connected an iLevil (SW) via RS-232 and it worked.

If you use USB, a powered USB hub is suggested for all of the GRT products and "required" for the Sport (SX) systems.

Hope this helps.

FYI I do not use a hub.

The GRT web site has a pretty good description of what will and what won't work with various model receivers and GRT products.

Something not yet mentioned, I find I like having the NexRad wx for VFR use. On a recent trip we had to pick our way thru several lines of thunderstorms (there were obvious, visual gaps between the storms). In the past I would have feared flying into a trap, since we couldn't really see more than 10 miles or so on the other side of the line. But with the cockpit wx we could clearly see that we would be back in good vfr on the other side of the line.

The GRT web site has a pretty good description of what will and what won't work with various model receivers and GRT products.

Something not yet mentioned, I find I like having the NexRad wx for VFR use. On a recent trip we had to pick our way thru several lines of thunderstorms (there were obvious, visual gaps between the storms). In the past I would have feared flying into a trap, since we couldn't really see more than 10 miles or so on the other side of the line. But with the cockpit wx we could clearly see that we would be back in good vfr on the other side of the line.

Be careful -- NEXRAD (whether from XM or ADS-B--its the same data) tells you where storms were, not where they currently are due to the latency from when the data was captured to when it was received.

Be careful -- NEXRAD (whether from XM or ADS-B--its the same data) tells you where storms were, not where they currently are due to the latency from when the data was captured to when it was received.

Of course this is true, but with wise use - looking at how storms have progressed, not just looking at where they are - and using the XM to AVOID weather and ensure that you have clear escapes, I still say that Nexrad in the cockpit is probably the biggest advance in cross-country flight safety since the invention of the wing.

I am a weather chicken, and have been sold on Nexrad since I first tried it. If you are using it to penetrate weather, then you're exceeding its design parameters. But folks should not be afraid to use it - wisely.

While I agree that as a general rule, using Nexrad to avoid weather, not to penetrate it, is best, it is a great tool for knowing the best way through weather. I have used it many times to pick my way through cells, while not maintaining cloud clearances for VFR, but still usually clear of clouds. When a cell is moving, or a line is moving, you can see trends quite well and can stay close to the downwind side of cell that you know is moving away from you, you can be surprisingly accurate with the known latency (5-10 minutes on average).

I do understand there are times that it just isn't accurate, like in Vic's example, but it usually is much better than that.

I'm not saying I use it to pick my way through a squall line, but poking through a front with decent sized holes is much better with Nexrad than hearing ATC say there is a widespread area of moderate to heavy precipitation from 9-3 o'clock and 10 miles.

Time for me to pipe up I guess. We recently ditched XM for foreflight/stratus. It is a significant shift. We do miss the XM just a little bit. What I really need is for foreflight to work up radar animation! Big time. Having to do the mental gymnastics of movement from a series of images that you looked at in the last hour sucks. They also need to do some kind of caching of the last xxx of data, probably within the stratus. Having to wait for re-acquisition of new data every time you bring the ipad out of sleep is silly.
Maybe I just need to go apply for a job. They have an office around here somewhere.

Of course this is true, but with wise use - looking at how storms have progressed, not just looking at where they are - and using the XM to AVOID weather and ensure that you have clear escapes, I still say that Nexrad in the cockpit is probably the biggest advance in cross-country flight safety since the invention of the wing.

I used it in this manner on the way to OSH from Indiana. Heading NW with a line of storms around Chicago heading SE. Looking at the radar at my fuel stop I could see the general movement of the line and figured with some deviation to the west and my travel time, I could circumvent and get behind the line of storms and get into Wisconsin. The nexrad gave me the comfort of following the line to ensure it was continuing its general path and to ensure nothing was popping up behind it.

I would never think of threading the needle with cockpit weather, but for larger strategic decisions and updated in-cockpit decision making, I agree that it is a huge asset. Without the XM, I'm not sure I would have departed from my fuel stop. Things you do once - pushing weather is one of them. Thankfully my once was done in a helicopter and I was able to sit in a field a wait it out.

On a separate, but related note, my iLevel/ADS-B worked just fine on my commute from Ga to Sc Sunday night. Not sure why I had issues on the opposite leg Friday afternoon. Still difficult for me to get used to the reduced picture vs. the XM - many small rain showers showing on the XM that did not show at all on the ADS-B (larger cells with yellow/red did match more or less, however).

Last edited:

I am a weather chicken, and have been sold on Nexrad since I first tried it. If you are using it to penetrate weather, then you're exceeding its design parameters. But folks should not be afraid to use it - wisely.

What he said..! :cool:

Does Foreflight/Stratus animate the weather?

Jesse said "When a cell is moving, or a line is moving, you can see trends quite well"

Scott said "What I really need is for foreflight to work up radar animation!"

I am still with XM on a 396 and use Foreflight on ipad. For me, seeing the animation of the weather is critical. Trends matter IMHO.

So does Foreflight/Stratus animate the weather?

Thanks,

ADS-B and XM comparison shot

On the left is data from ADS-B; XM on the right.
Both data stets are 2 minutes old (plus the system latency of around 5 minutes or so).
Wind is generally aligned with the magenta line.

You can see that there are subtle differences in how the data is processed and presented.

7ctd.jpg

I've had ADS-B in and out operating since the spring. I was not a previous WX user so this is first in cockpit weather for me. LOVE IT.

GRT Horizon 1 WS (The clay tablets :))
Navworks ADS600-BG

Today was my second flight that actually included weather of note. The first was a VFR flight with summer TS a few weeks ago. On that flight, the storm representation was spot on.

Same today. Cruising at 11K, it was fantastic to be able to anticipate the cells at a distance and make IFR route corrections to stay VMC but not deviate wildly. Somebody said "it shows where the storm was". Quite true. I steered right at one and by the time I arrived, it was off to the east of my path on both the display and the view out the window.

Totally agree with the points about NOT using it the navigate storms while in IMC.

iFly GPS for iPad or Android and ADS-B Radar has an animation feature. Just tap the Radar Status box, or tap the screen and choose "Animate Radar". Weather Radar is animated on both ADS-B and Wi-Fi weather radar. Download a Free 30-Day Trial on the App or Play Store.

PS- iFly GPS will even work with the ADS600-BG, among most other ADS-B receivers and transceivers.

How is coverage in flyover country?

In reference to the OP's first post;
Has the coverage improved in the middle of the country since last year?
Planning a trip to OSH this year and I have been pretty spoiled with ADS-B
cockpit weather info here on the west coast?
Can anyone comment on the coverage?

I've been flying with ADS-B since early 2012 and have seen the big hole in the middle of the US pretty much completely fill in. I can't testify to the entire hole, but Montana, ND, SD, and Wyoming seem to be pretty well covered now, with possible exceptions for lower altitudes over the mountains where you can't see a ground station.

Be aware, however, that large areas of this section are not covered by radar so there are lots of places where you get ADS-B FIS-B but you won't get TIS-B traffic. In theory this will be solved when all planes (or most) have ADS-B out. Until then, don't count on it when radar coverage is spotty.

Excellent

Thanks for the info.
I am most interested in weather info for my route to OSH from the west coast.
I'll use my eyeballs for traffic.

You should have pretty good coverage then. When at 10,000' over the mountains I usually have 2-3 ground stations or more, especially in the northern Rockies.

When I flew from Oregon to Indiana through Idaho and Wyoming, I had weather input all the way. I did not always have traffic, as a previous poster has stated.

Jesse said "When a cell is moving, or a line is moving, you can see trends quite well"

I am still with XM on a 396 and use Foreflight on ipad. For me, seeing the animation of the weather is critical. Trends matter IMHO.

Thanks,

Yes there is a PLAY button on the iPad that plays the ADS-B Stratus 2 radar image. I used that feature in the air 2-weeks ago.

Thanks,

Very recent new feature in foreflight and very much appreciated.

Back