What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back in the saddle... (long)

java

Well Known Member
So? some quick background.

I bought an RV-6 in late 2010. Awesome plane with an O-360-A1A and Hartzell CS prop, smokin? paint job and well built (A&P second build) but a very basic ?4 pack? panel (and the turn coordinator didn?t work). Flew it for a year, and at the end of 2011 took it down for a panel upgrade.

Fast forward a bit. A bit? like 17 months. What was intended to be a leisurely 4 month, over the winter, panel replacement, ended up being a journey. But it?s done now, and I?m flying again. I have read about you guys that complete a panel re-do in a month or two, and shake my head. Mine was pretty comprehensive, but still. I take my hat off to you.

What I had?
AS, Alt, VS, non-functional turn coordinator, and steam gauges for fuel (switch to check each tank), MP, RPM, Oil temp, and CHT (rotary dial seeing one cylinder at a time). King Com and King old skool transponder.

What I have now?
Dual screen G3X, GX Pilot dual axis autopilot, GTX23 remote transponder, PAR100EX audio panel and com, and an SL-40 com. Also a Ray Allen stick grip. Throw in a g-meter, compass, and map box. I also reno?d the interior, with new leather seats and Crow 5-point harnesses with the rotary buckle.

I have 8 or 9 hours on the ?new? plane now, and looking to re-engage with the community. I thought I would share a few learnings, some specific, and some general, for the benefit of others.

First, and most obvious, is don?t underestimate the time required to rework your panel! Allow considerable time for troubleshooting. No matter how careful you are, there is a good chance you?ll have to re-connect some wires.

Before you dig into your wiring because your SL-40 won?t receive, try turning the volume up ;) (don?t ask me how I know).

When wiring up your Trutrak roll servo, note that you can wire it two ways. If you wire it wrong for your setup, it will try to turn you upside down when you engage it (but is easy to overpower). There is a ground test for this. I didn?t do it, but learned quickly.

If you?re using a tach pickup off a mag, make sure you install it in the proper vent port (the one closest to the drive gear). It won?t read otherwise.

Kavlico and UMA sensors are not necessarily the same. Some require 5v power, others 12v. They don?t work if you don?t have the right power.

I bought my stuff from Stein. Even after over a year, when I was into troubleshooting, the help was there, and it was good help. Revised drawings, try this? try that? etc. Half of the time Stein himself answered the phone, but was quick to pass me on to someone else (Chris? you were a huge help) when they could help me better.

I?m happy to say that after over a year, I could still fly. I had some stick time with a buddy in the interim, but no landings.

Observations on the new panel?
OMG!!! Amazing capabilities! The airframe is the same, but in some ways it feels like a whole new plane. My first time with an AP, and I like it. No long x-countries yet, but I know it will be a big advantage. XM weather is huge. Being able to look out the canopy and see a squall, and seeing that it is painted on my map, makes me feel good that weather beyond my sight is likewise accurately depicted. I was surprised at how easy it was to convert to glass. It took almost no time to adapt to the tapes for AS and Alt. Also, love the PAR100EX. Bluetooth music is fantastic, and the phone works well with surprisingly good audio. Don?t like the flip/flop on it, but otherwise it?s a good unit. Remote transponder works well. I feel no need to have panel space taken up by a transponder anymore. The G3X controls are intuitive and efficient with it. I realize that for some of you, this is all old news. Trust there are some of us who haven?t had all these tools and are astounded at them when we see them!

I?m planning an Oshkosh trip this year (work pending), and hope to meet some of you there. I?m a long time VAF frequenter, though not a prolific poster, so I ?know? many of you more than you know me. If you?re there, and see Zulu Oscar Kilo (aka ?Angel?), stop by and say Hi.

I will try to work out a before and after pic in this thread.

Thanks for listening! ☺

OK... This is "before"...

IMG_0129.JPG

Calgary to Townsend (8U8) would be a nice test across the border XC before OSH. You should come down with Bill B in his Rocket for the Big Sky Air Race on July 6th. ;)

kriscam645.jpg

Calgary to Townsend (8U8) would be a nice test across the border XC before OSH. You should come down with Bill B in his Rocket for the Big Sky Air Race on July 6th. ;)

I've watched and discussed with interest many of Bill's speed mods over the last while. If the weather is good, you'll see me.

Glass panel IS a new plane in many ways. :D

Did an upgrade with AP and all glass-love the heck out of it!:p

Good for you! Enjoy & take your time to learn the ins & outs of the new system.

You know how it is, it's easy to get lost in tech while flying. Suggest learning all the various modes of operations with each gadget and such. Not if, but when you get a false indication don't freak out because a "gauge" is indicating wrong info. Might only be a sensor or wiring. Breath, think and Fly the A/C 1st. If the prop is still being driven you've got things pretty much in your favor. :cool:

A really sharp CFII buddy of mine says to Be The Orchestra Leader when AP is driving and monitor the various systems and stay ahead of the flying machine. Relaxed but always a few steps ahead.

How cool is XM Wx while enroute! Wx in the cockhouse really make for Outstanding SA! Another wonder of modern aviation. Coo does to the folks who made that happen.

Does your rig have Synthetic Vision? Should right? That's another wonderment.

Blues Skies. :)

PS, Stien is fricken great to deal with! And the folks at Air Crafters over in Watsonville, CA. (Dave Saylor & Gang)

Before you dig into your wiring because your SL-40 won’t receive, try turning the volume up (don’t ask me how I know).

Congrats on the new panel!

I'll relate my smoke test story so that you don't feel lonely. I was firing up the PAR100 for the first time, pretty nervous as I ran all of the wiring on it and the VPX. First I bring up the laptop to control the VPX, also for the first time. Then turn on the master and the VPX comes alive. Exciting! Using the VPX, I turn on the PAR100 circuit....nothing. Hmmm. Check that the VPX connectors are tight and check the PAR is fully seated. Nothing. Remove the PAR, check its seating depth, take apart its tray supports and move the tray further forward...still nothing. Pull the tray, check the wiring in the connectors, reinstall....nothing. Pull the PAR and take the top off making sure Ive properly set it up for 12v operation. Yep. Sit and stare at the dark PAR for a few minutes....reach up and press the button on the PAR...and it turns on, working normally. Yeah, that pesky on/off switch. If you can't laugh at yourself...don't build an airplane. Now go do some aero and make us a video.

Last edited:
I once had an AI give up the ghost. I said hmmm, rather than replace the AI, I might as well go ahead and make the panel the way I like it.....and 6 moths later I was back in the air. If I could do it again, I would have just stuck with replacing the AI on that one.

You will no doubt enjoy your upgraded panel. It looks good too.

Congrats on the new panel!

I'll relate my smoke test story so that you don't feel lonely. I was firing up the PAR100 for the first time, pretty nervous as I ran all of the wiring on it and the VPX. First I bring up the laptop to control the VPX, also for the first time. Then turn on the master and the VPX comes alive. Exciting! Using the VPX, I turn on the PAR100 circuit....nothing. Hmmm. Check that the VPX connectors are tight and check the PAR is fully seated. Nothing. Remove the PAR, check its seating depth, take apart its tray supports and move the tray further forward...still nothing. Pull the tray, check the wiring in the connectors, reinstall....nothing. Pull the PAR and take the top off making sure Ive properly set it up for 12v operation. Yep. Sit and stare at the dark PAR for a few minutes....reach up and press the button on the PAR...and it turns on, working normally. Yeah, that pesky on/off switch. If you can't laugh at yourself...don't build an airplane. Now go do some aero and make us a video.

HAHA! I did the exact same thing with my 430W on my first panel powerup, scared the **** outta me...

late to the party...

Great looking panel. I currenly looking into purchasing a basic -6a. I figure I can fly it for a couple years, then when I decide to get my IFR ticket, do a similar upgrade with a full classic aero interior and G430w. Hope to be ready to buy around summer/fall 2014.

Back