What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

If you built an Airpark, Where and Why?

Mopar591

Well Known Member
Where would you build an airpark community, and what would you have nearby? What type of runways, and how long. I know there are places in the US that would be great places to build one that don't already have one. I'm Just looking for everyone's input! Thanks

MOD: Please move if needed.

Last edited:
I would want to build an airpark somewhere that is not too expensive, too hot, too cold, too windy, too dusty, or humid and not in a fire hazard area. It would be ideal if it were not far from major medical care, shopping, and have high speed internet service. No more than 4 or 5 miles from an Interstate highway. Neighbors far enough away that there will be no complaints about airplane noise.

I would love to retire on an airpark but unless I hit the Lottery, I may not be able to afford it. What do you mean that I have to buy a Lottery ticket to win?

Sunrise Skypark is one airpark that I have been to that I liked a lot. Not sure if the winter cold would be acceptable but the HOT WELL water that is available to help heat the house makes it inexpensive to live there in the winter.

Long Island, NY

Long Island is known as the Cradle of Aviation but we do not have any airparks. I personally have made inquiries into the future of Mattituck Airbase for just that use. Since the engine builder moved out the airport is a ghost town. An aerial view of the property shows empty land next door. Suffice it to say it would not be inexpensive. You could not ask for a better area to own a home than the North Fork of Long Island. Very much like New England except the people don't talk funny. :>) Vineyards, awesome boating, deep water fishing, luxury bus service to Manhattan, a stone's throw from The Hamptons. A winner without a doubt. Check it out. Google Maps Mattituck Airbase

PS. It is a hop, skip and jump from Princeton, NJ. Vlad would certainly be a regular visitor if it involved a meal.

Last edited:
I would want to build an airpark somewhere that is not too expensive, too hot, too cold, too windy, too dusty, or humid and not in a fire hazard area. It would be ideal if it were not far from major medical care, shopping, and have high speed internet service. No more than 4 or 5 miles from an Interstate highway. Neighbors far enough away that there will be no complaints about airplane noise.

I would love to retire on an airpark but unless I hit the Lottery, I may not be able to afford it. What do you mean that I have to buy a Lottery ticket to win?

Sunrise Skypark is one airpark that I have been to that I liked a lot. Not sure if the winter cold would be acceptable but the HOT WELL water that is available to help heat the house makes it inexpensive to live there in the winter.
I was thinking I had the perfect place until your requirements of:
not too hot, too cold, too windy, too dusty, or humid. . .
We have every other requirement except these weather related ones. :( I guess that is why I wanted a fast RV. So we can fly to those places that have better weather than we have here.

It is a hop, skip and jump from Princeton, NJ. Vlad would certainly be a regular visitor if it involved a meal.

Oh, he has already been there with me to inspect my new engine!

Mattituck.jpeg

He gave it the green light, so I went ahead with it!

;) CJ

We own an acre at an airpark on the runway which fits that description pretty well. :) Can't wait to start building a house there. (there are lots still available so contact me if interested - mid Ga.)
I would add that you do not want to locate a runway which conflicts with any other runways or airports. Otherwise, the FAA shouldn't have a problem with you. The other thing is neighboring developements who might have a problem with low flying aircraft.

At Parkside, WA87, we have 27 properties and they are all 2.5-3 acres. Independance OR has probably 50 plus properties on 10k-20k lots if I had to guess and I think it is very nice also.

I think it is less about how many and how big and more about the things like Gary suggests.

We are lucky, 30 miles to a major metro area but still in the country. That is rare air....

Small lots I personally would want 2 acres,, with larger ones being 5. I really don't want somebody's engine outside my bedroom window.

I have thought about investing in property that I could make an affordable private airpark. Property prices are crazy high and are not getting any cheaper. Where I live in SW La. To my knowledge there are no airparks. I don't know that the demand would even be high enough here to make one. My wife and I want to move out of state at some point in the next few years and that might be my opportunity to do this. What city would you live close to in an airpark?

My dream...

So this is not realistic but:

Retake Meigs field and have the houses out over the water like those villas in fiji!

We bought a 2.75 acre lot @ WN55 from an F-15 Captain.
He wanted to get into an airpark with his buddies in Montana.
WN55 was 2500 Ft of gravel, but we ripped it up and hydroseeded grass. It's about as good as you can get.
It's in a big valley between Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens and Mt Hood.
Kind of a Galt's Gulch, with cities about 20+ RV minutes away.
Over the last 8 years or so, we have been building a hangar and a home. Slowly and without mortgage.
Hopefully it will be done before I retire...
Another important criteria is No Flooding!

We bought a 2.75 acre lot @ WN55 from an F-15 Captain.

Nice looking place!!

Where would you build an airpark community, and what would you have nearby? What type of runways, and how long.

I live at E98 in the southwest. Based on my experience, it's extremely difficult to please everyone. Some of the complexities include having enough property owners to afford things like runway maintenance but not so many to be a bother, close enough to civilization to keep the spouses happy and have reasonable Internet service but far enough to avoid being harassed, well defined association rules/covenants and the teeth to enforce them, enough people to run the show knowing that 20% do all the work and 80% just complain about it, etc...

A seldom understood problem is resale and appraisals. There are rarely comparables for the appraiser to use and underwriters don't like this making traditional mortgages a bit of a challenge.

With my last aircraft (Q2), a long paved runway was the only option. Now I kinda wish I lived at a grass field.

If I were the one to win the lottery, I'd be building my own personal airpark somewhere in Arizona, Utah, or New Mexico about as far from civilization as I could find. I'm a bit spoiled but I like the local flying to be interesting (for me, that must include lots of mountains, back country strips, variety, etc...). I spent enough years in the cold country so I have no need for any of that.

We own an acre at an airpark on the runway which fits that description pretty well. :) Can't wait to start building a house there. (there are lots still available so contact me if interested - mid Ga.)
I would add that you do not want to locate a runway which conflicts with any other runways or airports. Otherwise, the FAA shouldn't have a problem with you. The other thing is neighboring developements who might have a problem with low flying aircraft.

I have spent months in GA working. That is one state that is TOO Humid for me.

Nice looking place!!

I live at E98 in the southwest. Based on my experience, it's extremely difficult to please everyone. Some of the complexities include having enough property owners to afford things like runway maintenance but not so many to be a bother, close enough to civilization to keep the spouses happy and have reasonable Internet service but far enough to avoid being harassed, well defined association rules/covenants and the teeth to enforce them, enough people to run the show knowing that 20% do all the work and 80% just complain about it, etc...

A seldom understood problem is resale and appraisals. There are rarely comparables for the appraiser to use and underwriters don't like this making traditional mortgages a bit of a challenge.

With my last aircraft (Q2), a long paved runway was the only option. Now I kinda wish I lived at a grass field.

If I were the one to win the lottery, I'd be building my own personal airpark somewhere in Arizona, Utah, or New Mexico about as far from civilization as I could find. I'm a bit spoiled but I like the local flying to be interesting (for me, that must include lots of mountains, back country strips, variety, etc...). I spent enough years in the cold country so I have no need for any of that.

AMEN... and I do this type of business as a main source of my living. Need to give it up!!! :eek:

For a couple of years I have been doing light research on this for future retirement plans. From a cost standpoint the southeast looks best. Also the weather tends to be warmer year round. I have been through SC, ALA, GA, FL, MS and absolutely believe one of the best places is south east Alabama just south of Dothan. Cost of living is low, weather great, beautiful country and 90 miles to the beach. The only problem is no air parks. You Dothan guys need to put one together. SC has many nice airparks and would be my second pick.

Pat

Long Island is known as the Cradle of Aviation but we do not have any airparks. I personally have made inquiries into the future of Mattituck Airbase for just that use. Since the engine builder moved out the airport is a ghost town. An aerial view of the property shows empty land next door. Suffice it to say it would not be inexpensive. You could not ask for a better area to own a home than the North Fork of Long Island. Very much like New England except the people don't talk funny. :>) Vineyards, awesome boating, deep water fishing, luxury bus service to Manhattan, a stone's throw from The Hamptons. A winner without a doubt. Check it out. Google Maps Mattituck Airbase

PS. It is a hop, skip and jump from Princeton, NJ. Vlad would certainly be a regular visitor if it involved a meal.

The heaviest property taxes on Earth I've heard.

mattituck1.jpg

Mattituck2.jpg

Wherever you build it, there are things to look at in the layout/design that can make a huge difference.

The way our airpark is laid out is with shared use taxiway/streets. The county bailed on taking care of our streets, so it is now on the owners. Plus, there is the occasional right of way conflict with auto drivers who have no idea what it is like to taxi an airplane.

On the opposite side of the coin, the setup at Independence is ideal, the streets are totally isolated from the taxiways, and are county maintained. And, the airport is state owned.

Property Tax Capitol

The heaviest property taxes on Earth I've heard.

mattituck1.jpg

Mattituck2.jpg

That would be right Vlad. Cops earning $150,000 per year then retire after 20 years. Teachers earning $100,000. School District Supervisors $500,000. Sick, sick, sick.
But you must admit it is a beautiful spot. See the surrounding property? Perfect for an airpark

My simple requirement is something near my work that I can afford. I would like it to have a paved runway.

Recently there was a property for sale that was in my price range, but the commute was on the most heavily traveled route and would be just a little too much for me. I would spend too much time on the road and wouldn't have time to work on the plane.

Last edited:
Nice looking place!!

Good Point Yeller....
This can be a huge issue. For my remodel, they where willing to loan me my own money, so I went for it on my own. Now that my remodel is done, I refinanced to get my cash back. Only one comparible. They put me through the ringer.
They appraised my home for less than I put into it, not even considering it was already a standing structure. I knew this going in so I was not surprised.
Airpark properties are hard to sell and hard to finance. They do not make a good investment financially, or at least not for me.
However, the investment I will get out of it in my own enjoyment was the reason I did it.
I am very happy.

Why not an existing airpark?

Tyler,
with so many airparks everywhere, why not consider buying property on an already existing airpark?
Here is one in northern California.
300 plus days of VFR flying per year, a little hot in summer but close to the coast. I am not trying to sell you my hangar but developing your own airpark will definitely knock off the "not too expensive" option off the table.
http://ranchotehamaairpark.com/joomla/
Lots can be had for about $<10000> and a couple of the hangars are for sale.

I knew of at least four cases in Texas in the past ten years where a person owned the land and had plat maps drawn in preparation for starting an air park - and not one of them has made it the point where they have the runway and are selling lots yet. You'd think that in this state, where you can do anything you want with enough money, it would be easier...but they all seemed to be stalled by administrative issues....

Paul

California Pines also has an airport with homes that has access to the runway. I have friends that retired there.

When I purchased my place 10-years ago, I could have purchased a place at Lake California for the same money.

The biggest problem with both of these places if the political climate and tax structure in the People's Republic of California. I live here now and this is the only state west of the Rockies that I DO NOT want to retire in.

All the states that I would be willing to retire in are West of the eastern side of the Rockies except for Texas.

I would love to retire with a lot of flying, shooting, and skiing.

West of Denver, east of Sierra/Cascades (better weather), not in CA (already been mentioned). Probably S of MT/WY to be warmer in winter, but not so far S as to be godawful HOT in summer. Proximity to a big city or highways not a factor. Would need to be reasonably priced (most of the places I've looked at just seem to expensive for an average person unless you got in early) and reasonable cost of living (that is, not a fancy resort town). Big enough to have some interesting neighbors but small enough to be friendly (I'm thinking ballpark 20-50 residences).

If anyone knows of such a place, I wanna hear about it! And if anyone is considering putting together a consortium to build such a place, I would be happy to be in on that and help out.

Greg

Anywhere with Calif climate, but not Calif taxes or government.

Does such a place even exist???

what's the demographic here?????

sorry if this is a dumb question, but are all airpark residents retired?
just wondering if people work, what do they DO? ...run some sweet internet business that doesn't require a particular location?
for those of us blue-collar trades guys, you gotta live where there's work!
...and it seems most of us are going to be working until we're 70 now!

on a brighter note, how much does a quarter-section of farmland cost? As with the Texas examples, seems running a runway across it, and selling lots would happen more often than it does in the real world?
Some of the successful examples around here are more along the lines of a small town wanting to get OUT of the airport business, so some local investors take over and try to make a go of it with some real estate sales, and an FBO if they're lucky.

The good people of California have just voted to raise taxes on themselves.
Isn't that going to solve all these problems..... I dunno I tink it will :eek:

Southern Oregon. :D

Rouge Valley. Near KMFR.

I-5 nearby, already a retirement area, outdoor activities, mix of Wx and closer to Calif but w/o tax issues, rouge river fishing, mountain beauty but in a big valley.

Not only are there plenty of MX support shops but Vans is just up north an hour by RV. :)

To answer the employment question, yes many are retired, but at our airpark, there is a construction contractor who built up his own business, a timber buyer for a local mill, an enviromental engineer that specializes in identifying ground pollution, a charter boat owner operator, and I'm a marine engineer.

West of Denver, east of Sierra/Cascades (better weather), not in CA (already been mentioned). Probably S of MT/WY to be warmer in winter, but not so far S as to be godawful HOT in summer. Proximity to a big city or highways not a factor. Would need to be reasonably priced (most of the places I've looked at just seem to expensive for an average person unless you got in early) and reasonable cost of living (that is, not a fancy resort town). Big enough to have some interesting neighbors but small enough to be friendly (I'm thinking ballpark 20-50 residences).

If anyone knows of such a place, I wanna hear about it! And if anyone is considering putting together a consortium to build such a place, I would be happy to be in on that and help out.

Greg

Anywhere with Calif climate, but not Calif taxes or government.

Does such a place even exist???

Uhh....Gentlemen....Dayton Valley?! Meets ALL of BOTH of your requirements!! :D;)

Uhh....Gentlemen....Dayton Valley?! Meets ALL of BOTH of your requirements!! :D;)

And a really good golf course, 30 minute drive to Reno, 40 minutes to Tahoe, and a one leg flight to Van's, the Pacific NW, Bay Area, etc.....
You and Louise did well.

sorry if this is a dumb question, but are all airpark residents retired?
just wondering if people work, what do they DO? ...run some sweet internet business that doesn't require a particular location?
for those of us blue-collar trades guys, you gotta live where there's work!
...and it seems most of us are going to be working until we're 70 now!

on a brighter note, how much does a quarter-section of farmland cost? As with the Texas examples, seems running a runway across it, and selling lots would happen more often than it does in the real world?
Some of the successful examples around here are more along the lines of a small town wanting to get OUT of the airport business, so some local investors take over and try to make a go of it with some real estate sales, and an FBO if they're lucky.

or like some of us consultants, are on the road all the time and work from home when not :)

my airpark would also need dock space with deep water sailboat access to the Briney.

Independence Airpark - 7S5

Independence Airpark in Oregon consists of 212 lots that have access to the State airport 7S5. Of the 212 lots about 185-190 have homes, the remainder are in the hands of investors or future residents. Several are for sale.

I don't know if anyone in the prior posts mentioned the cost of living at Independence Airpark.

Our total annual (not monthly) cost for homeowner fees is $100.00. In addition, each lot that is occupied is required to pay the State of Oregon $15 per month ($180 paid annually) for access to the runway. Total annual cost $280. In addition to those costs are normal real estate taxes.

Pilots and aviation enthusiasts are a relatively rare breed amongst the general population. Unless I had enough commited prospective land owners (lined up ready to buy and build) to cover at least the start up costs I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot stick. The best option seems to be converting an already operating strip. I can think of two relatively recent success stories like this, one in Illinois, and one in Texas.

Pilots and aviation enthusiasts are a relatively rare breed amongst the general population. Unless I had enough commited prospective land owners (lined up ready to buy and build) to cover at least the start up costs I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot stick. The best option seems to be converting an already operating strip. I can think of two relatively recent success stories like this, one in Illinois, and one in Texas.

I'd like to learn more about these "converted" strips. Names?

Thanks,
Mark

Perhaps I should have been more specific when I said Calif climate.

I am referring to central CA, not the Mojave :D

Err... I would put Dayton NV as quite a bit North of the Mojave Desert....:D

With a summer average high of 83 F in July it's not like the portions of the Mojave that I am familiar with...:)

How about 30 miles east of Albuquerque, just off of I-40? No fancy resort town. 99 lots, most of them sold but only a little over a quarter of them with houses/hangars.

http://www.sandiaairpark.com/

http://skyvector.com/airport/1N1/Sandia-Airpark-Estates-East-Airport

http://www.saepoa.com/node/3

North yes, but still a desert area.

Other than the golf course and the river flood plane, not a lot is growing there.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...F-8&ei=-NTCUK36Do3WiALM1YCwBg&ved=0CAUQ_AUoAA

Actually not much different from the CA Central Valley when the irrigation is taken away -

http://goo.gl/maps/PUi81 -- Just by Delano...

...and the CA spot is 7 F hotter in July....:)

Luckily "good" weather is very subjective or we would all be living in the same place, probably with a Mediterranean climate....:)

Last edited:
Back