What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tips for those flying into Oshkosh

Mike D

Well Known Member
I am no expert, but I have made a few mental notes on things that I could improve for this trip to Oshkosh.

Please add yours so we all can learn.

1. the parking signs (HBC, HBP, VFR, etc.) do much better if mounted to a ridged surface like cardboard or a clip pad.
I had used printed sheets before and they are hard to hold and taxi at the same time. Others have had theirs blown out as they opened the canopy.

2. be sure to take note of your parking row and number before you go to the registration booth. I always forget this. It’s one of the first things they ask for and you feel silly if you don’t know it.

3. small pieces of wood help to keep your wheels from sinking when parked on soft ground.

Of course, read the notams. (I mark the pages for easy reference)

And this year be sure to bring the sun block and mosquito repellent.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Print sign and laminate

I printed HBC on one sheet and VFR on another then had them laminated together back to back. The plastic laminates make it very stiff and can be used year after year.

Program your GPS early for ripon and fisk. Have your passenger ready with the NOTAM printed out if you have a brain fart. Keep your head on a swivel approaching Ripon. CRM especially with radio calls and tower calls to other aircraft. (figure their vicinity to you)
Don't feel pressured to land if you are not comfortable. You can go-around (except Jack Roush)

Thanks to Scott Schmidt and Tim Olson for helping me the first time and making it a very pleasurable experience.

First timer

This will be my first time flying in to OSH, I've read the Notam and feel pretty good flying in, any thoughts on camping vs hotel?

Many thanks.

Fly directly over the railroad tracks. That means put the spinner on the tracks! Every year pilots will be to one side or the other so they can see the track I guess. If you can see the track out your window you are NOT OVER IT! If you are left of the tracts and the tell you to use 35 you are crossing in front of traffic! :eek: Get over the track and stay there. :D

Last edited:
Group Flying into Osh

I am aware that there will be a formation group of RV's flying into OSH on Sunday around 1pm. Does anyone know of other groups of planes, time and day of there arrival so we can attempt to avoid this heavy traffic period?

Thanks,

Ted Gauthier

Sean, Any changes? Do you think we'll do another photo shoot of sorts? Jim

Jim,

Unfortunately, I have to go out of the country for work. I couldn't turn down the work or the experience. I'm dying now seeing all the chatter about Oshkosh. I'm really going to miss OSH along with hanging out with my friends.

Does anyone know of other groups of planes, time and day of there arrival so we can attempt to avoid this heavy traffic period?

Ted, Check out this link:

http://www.airventure.org/news/2012/120426_massarrivals.html

-Jim

P.S. Pasted below.

One of the most popular precursors to EAA AirVenture is the mass arrival of aircraft groups to Oshkosh's Wittman Regional Airport. Arriving en masse allows kindred aircraft to set up group camping areas in the North 40, which would be logistically impossible if they arrived separately.
The mass arrivals begin this year on Friday, July 20, when as many as 50 participants in the Cherokees to Oshkosh group are scheduled to arrive starting at 1 p.m.
That paves the way for three group arrivals Saturday, July 21:
  • Bonanzas to Oshkosh - as many as 100 aircraft, arriving at 1 p.m.
  • Cessnas to Oshkosh - 75 aircraft, 2:30 p.m.
  • The 15th Mooney Caravan - 39 aircraft, 4 p.m.
On Sunday, July 22, as many as 75 Piper Cubs are scheduled to arrive together at 6:30 a.m. as a part of the 75th anniversary celebration of the Cub this year. All told, more than 200 Cubs are expected to attend. Also Sunday, up to 40 Van's RVs are scheduled to arrive beginning at 1:30 p.m.
Those not flying in the mass arrivals should note that this schedule is subject to change, and may be affected by the weather.

Ted, Check out this link:

http://www.airventure.org/news/2012/120426_massarrivals.html

-Jim

P.S. Pasted below.

One of the most popular precursors to EAA AirVenture is the mass arrival of aircraft groups to Oshkosh's Wittman Regional Airport. Arriving en masse allows kindred aircraft to set up group camping areas in the North 40, which would be logistically impossible if they arrived separately.
The mass arrivals begin this year on Friday, July 20, when as many as 50 participants in the Cherokees to Oshkosh group are scheduled to arrive starting at 1 p.m.
That paves the way for three group arrivals Saturday, July 21:
  • Bonanzas to Oshkosh - as many as 100 aircraft, arriving at 1 p.m.
  • Cessnas to Oshkosh - 75 aircraft, 2:30 p.m.
  • The 15th Mooney Caravan - 39 aircraft, 4 p.m.
On Sunday, July 22, as many as 75 Piper Cubs are scheduled to arrive together at 6:30 a.m. as a part of the 75th anniversary celebration of the Cub this year. All told, more than 200 Cubs are expected to attend. Also Sunday, up to 40 Van's RVs are scheduled to arrive beginning at 1:30 p.m.
Those not flying in the mass arrivals should note that this schedule is subject to change, and may be affected by the weather.

I had some discusssions with a couple KOSH veterans yesterday about this. Their opinion was that the mass arrivals can either be a giant Cluster, or no big deal. The B2OSH site (Bonanzas) indicates that the Bonanza arrival will be KRFD - BADAN - POBER and onto 36L and 36R. If that actually happens and the rest of the arrivals are able to use 9/27, then it might not be a big deal. OTOH, one vet told me that conditions could be such that they just close the Fisk arrival and have everyone hold until the Bonanzas are finished.

My hope is to get there before the Bonanzas, but I'll keep all all my options open.

Camping...

This will be my first time flying in to OSH, I've read the Notam and feel pretty good flying in, any thoughts on camping vs hotel?

Many thanks.

Be prepared to camp. When (if) the weather turns bad you can
beg your friends who have hotel rooms or rental houses to sleep on
their floor :). Also I would be quite surprised if you could find a hotel
within reasonable distance (or price) at this late date.
See you there!

- Dan

Fly slow

Like Mike S said. Practice slow flying. Down to at least 80 kts and do lots of practice turns. Make sure you can keep the ball centered at all times and you can do a lot of maneuvering at min airspeed. Wouldn't hurt to practice stalls either.

Camping allows you to run your gas powered margarita blender!
Will post a note were we are if anyone wants to come for a drink just bring ice

Back