What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-12iS fuel pump replacement

Seems we may have a "mandatory" fuel pump assembly replacement on the horizon.

Rotax released this SB today: https://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_info/serviceb/sb-912i-013.pdf

I'll have to check my s/n tomorrow.. and Van's will probably have their own SB if any of us have s/n's in the affected range.

Where is the serial number located....on the fuel pump assembly? The fuel pump assembly inconveniently located on the backside of the bulkhead?

Yes, they are printed on the pump housings. You should document the model and serial number of everything you can during your build, as this won’t be the last time you’ll need to check for one of them.

Where is the serial number located....on the fuel pump assembly? The fuel pump assembly inconveniently located on the backside of the bulkhead?

Page 9 of that bulletin shows you where to look (on the pump itself -- so hopefully they're oriented in such a way that it is visible without removal).

Page 10 also states: "The fuel pump assembly (the stainless steel box, pumps, check valves, etc) has its own serial number, which may or may not be the same as the number on the individual pump."

I know someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but the SB appears to be for pumps with part number 889694, does it not?

Part number?

I am also trying to understand the significance of the listed part number 889694. My part number on both my pumps is 889691.

I called Leading Edge; they just heard about it themselves and have no information yet.

I am going to keep an eye on this forum, and wait a week or two before calling Rotax or Leading Edge again.

Cost for fuel pump replacement

I am also concerned about who pays for the replacement pumps. Is this a warrantee issue or owner responsibility?

These pumps are expensive.

I had the same question about the part number 889691 vs. 889694 shown in the service bulletin, so I called Lockwood this morning and they said to only look at the serial number and not the part number... strange.

+1 to being slightly confused on this one.

My pumps have a visible part# of 889691, not 889694, but my serial #s are in the affected range.
But if you look figure 1 on page 11 in the appendix of the SB, it shows there are 2 different stamps on the pumps, and the 2nd one in figure 1 shows 889694, whilst the first show 889691.

Due to the orientation of the fuel pumps when installed, I cant see the 2nd stamped # without pulling the whole fuel pump assembly, so not sure at this stage how to proceed or if my pumps need changing

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-12 072819.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-12 072819.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot 2022-04-12 073150.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-12 073150.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 92
I had the same question about the part number 889691 vs. 889694 shown in the service bulletin, so I called Lockwood this morning and they said to only look at the serial number and not the part number... strange.

Then it looks like I too join the “ grrrrrrrrr....” club 😤

I am also concerned about who pays for the replacement pumps. Is this a warrantee issue or owner responsibility?

These pumps are expensive.

I just spat out my coffee when I looked up the price on Aircraft Spruce: $1585 for a new assembly!! :eek: , so fingers crossed these are covered under warranty.

Welp, I checked my aircraft logbook today. Seems my S/N's fall within the range.. 19.5698 and 19.5675.

And if anyone cares, I had received my engine sub-kit on 18-Mar-2019.. I had shipped them to Lockwood on 9-Jun-2020 to take care of Rotax SB 912i-011iS (Van's SD 19-12-03)...

I contacted Lockwood just now to let them know.. and to let me know when they're ready to start turning these around to customers.
Be prepared to give them your aircraft s/n, tail #, pump s/n's, and engine s/n.

Last edited:
Welp, I checked my aircraft logbook today. Seems my S/N's fall within the range.. 19.5698 and 19.5675.

And if anyone cares, I had received my engine sub-kit on 18-Mar-2019.. I had shipped them to Lockwood on 9-Jun-2020 to take care of Rotax SB 912i-011iS (Van's SD 19-12-03)...

I contacted Lockwood just now to let them know.. and to let me know when they're ready to start turning these around to customers.
Be prepared to give them your aircraft s/n, tail #, pump s/n's, and engine s/n.

Looks like my fuel pumps are in range as well. I was hoping to avoid climbing into the tailcone for the Tailcone cracking SB until the annual, but it looks like ill have to climb back there for this fuel pump replacement so i might as well complete both SBs.. oh well, Better I do it before the heat of summer I reckon

So are we meant to wait for Vans to release their own SB/SD to give us the procedures to complete this replacement? Or are we meant to go about it on our own through Lockwood or another source?

SLSA rules FYI.....

The ASTM's that regulate Light Sport aircraft contain a requirement that requires an SLSA manufacturer to issue a S.B. that echoes any S.B. that a third party / OEM supplier issues for a component that is used on any of their aircraft.

So, you will always see us issue a S.B., regardless of whether we are sure that any of our customers will be effected. This can be confusing because it can make it look like the direction is coming form two different places, when in fact it is just a mechanism put in place to help assure that owners of a particular aircraft don't miss something that was issued by a component supplier.

I recall several people getting power plant kits earlier this year, mine is somewhere in crating.

Any of the people who very recently took delivery that have checked their pump SN's against the bulletin?

Looks like I get to skip a Service Bulletin this time.

Finally!

Curious about how both pumps have the same s/n though...

Fuel Pumps.jpg

Scott, can you please confirm that Vans concurs with the information from Lockwood - that the part number 889691 vs. 889694 is irrelevant, and that we should only be looking at the serial number range.

Curious about how both pumps have the same s/n though...

The earlier fuel pumps were labeled that way. Rotax subsequently changed to individual numbering. My initial fuel pumps (May 2019) were labeled as yours are. They were replaced due to being in the serial range for the previous SD. The replacement pumps received January of 2020 were uniquely numbered.

Scott, can you please confirm that Vans concurs with the information from Lockwood - that the part number 889691 vs. 889694 is irrelevant, and that we should only be looking at the serial number range.

Sorry, I can not.

Lockwood has much more knowledge and experience regarding the fine details of the Rotax engines. I trust what they say.

Sorry, I can not.

Lockwood has much more knowledge and experience regarding the fine details of the Rotax engines. I trust what they say.

Okay, well I guess I need a clarification from Rotax. Seems odd that they would list the 889694 part number in the SB and then say to only look at the serial number range.

Okay, well I guess I need a clarification from Rotax. Seems odd that they would list the 889694 part number in the SB and then say to only look at the serial number range.

I agree, but if they have good control over the issuance of serial #'s such that the same number has never been used on two different pumps, then using only the serial # would be valid. Maybe the people at Lockwood know that that is true.

Lockwood kits

She said that they have ordered the repair kits today, no lead time or price yet. Sounds like you will pay for the kit, then send the old pumps back along with a warranty claim.

Just got off the phone with Trisha at Lockwood. She said once registered with them, they will:
1. Set you up in the queue.
2. Send an email 3-4 weeks from date they can work on your pumps.
3. When they are ready for your pumps, they will send a 2nd email.
4. Upon receipt of the 2nd email, remove and ship them your pumps.
5. They service the pumps, send them back to your 2-4 days.
6. Re-install your pumps and get back that RV grin!
7. No cost to you except shipping.

Just got off the phone with Trisha at Lockwood. She said once registered with them, they will:
1. Set you up in the queue.
2. Send an email 3-4 weeks from date they can work on your pumps.
3. When they are ready for your pumps, they will send a 2nd email.
4. Upon receipt of the 2nd email, remove and ship them your pumps.
5. They service the pumps, send them back to your 2-4 days.
6. Re-install your pumps and get back that RV grin!
7. No cost to you except shipping.

Really dumb question…I can’t fly until I get the new pumps right?

I might as well pull the pumps now and package them up to mail out the day I get the email right?

You have one year. See text in the SB.

“Carry out this replacement of the fuel pump assemblies listed in section 1.1., according to the instructions in Chapter 3 at the next ROTAX® scheduled maintenance event, but at the latest after 1 year (from the date of the initial issue of this Service Bulletin)”

You have one year. See text in the SB.

“Carry out this replacement of the fuel pump assemblies listed in section 1.1., according to the instructions in Chapter 3 at the next ROTAX® scheduled maintenance event, but at the latest after 1 year (from the date of the initial issue of this Service Bulletin)”

Can't be too serious, then, except for the part about "Non-compliance with these instructions could result in engine damages, personal injuries or DEATH!"

Just replaced my pumps, which were impacted by this SB. Super service from Lockwood. They received my old ones in the morning and had my replacements in the return mail the same day! Only down one week, and over the Easter weekend too!

And I made something that Scott had suggested in another post where a non iS owner was concerned about accessing these pumps. This really made accessing them much easier. Doesn’t eliminate the need for removing 20 screws from the baggage bulkhead cover, but it makes it much easier on your body to reach them. I was able to replace the fuel pump assembly, remove and clean the coarse filter and check stabilator cable tension while laying on the platform. Van’s needs to add this suggestion to the Maintenance Manual. I’ve added dimensions to one of the photos if anyone wants to copy it. I think the forward brace could be eliminated, since the forward edge of the platform rests on the fuel tank, but haven’t experimented. And the width of the platform was arbitrary, I just used a board I had laying around. Since it was narrower than the opening, I added the cross brace to keep it from falling through the opening. Great tip, Scott!

Attachments

• 2104A532-0566-404F-BB9D-332749784351.jpg
    2104A532-0566-404F-BB9D-332749784351.jpg
    855.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 63697644-55F8-4E09-8247-14B503480E20.jpg
    63697644-55F8-4E09-8247-14B503480E20.jpg
    816.5 KB · Views: 94
  • DEE35798-145A-4DFB-B64A-1246FFADB14E.jpg
    DEE35798-145A-4DFB-B64A-1246FFADB14E.jpg
    758.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 47DD4904-611E-4858-B465-4FF43E36ED4C.jpg
    47DD4904-611E-4858-B465-4FF43E36ED4C.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 148
I recall several people getting power plant kits earlier this year, mine is somewhere in crating.

Any of the people who very recently took delivery that have checked their pump SN's against the bulletin?

I got my powerplant kit last week. Serial numbers are 21.07xx. Outside the range of the Service Bulletin.

Guys, while you’re removing the pumps and waiting for the new ones, take the opportunity to remove and clean your coarse filter too. I’m near 200 hours and still getting Scotchbrite residue from when I built my fuel tank, even though I really thought I had cleaned it out well.

Unless your hose clamps are extra long, reattaching the pumps to the bracket while in the plane can be challenging.

You may find it much easier to unscrew the fuel pump / filter assembly bracket from the bulkhead and reattach the pumps on the bench.

Just one note on your video.

That reference in KAI 5.27 of 1.5-2 turns is for tapered pipe threads only.

The proper torque for these soft aluminum compression fittings is only 90 to 100 inch pounds or approximately 1/4 turn. You do not want to overtighten these.

Here is a good video explaining why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGwIrh33CpI

Last edited:
You're absolutely right. That's the price I pay for video editing at 2am. I'll have to fix the video since thats really bad info for anyone trying to mess with aluminum fittings. Thanks for catching that.

Guys, while you’re removing the pumps and waiting for the new ones, take the opportunity to remove and clean your coarse filter too. I’m near 200 hours and still getting Scotchbrite residue from when I built my fuel tank, even though I really thought I had cleaned it out well.

Bob, were you referring to the VA-265 45 deg. fitting/screen at the bottom of the tank? If so, were you able to remove it with the other fitting (FLF-0017 next to it) still installed?

Bob, were you referring to the VA-265 45 deg. fitting/screen at the bottom of the tank? If so, were you able to remove it with the other fitting (FLF-0017 next to it) still installed?

No, just cleaning the Andair coarse filter. With no help regarding the feasibility of doing so from Van’s on this question, or any other iS owner, I’ve concluded the finger strainer in the iS is impossible to remove without removing the tank and return fuel line fitting, which I’m not doing.

No, just cleaning the Andair coarse filter. With no help regarding the feasibility of doing so from Van’s on this question, or any other iS owner, I’ve concluded the finger strainer in the iS is impossible to remove without removing the tank and return fuel line fitting, which I’m not doing.

Thanks Bob. Looked impossible (or at least very difficult) to me as well. I noticed that the maintenance manual calls for a clean and inspect for the finger strainer one time per year.

Scott, could you comment on what's required to remove the finger strainer?

Best I could do was get a borescope down there to inspect it when I had to replace my mechanical fuel gauge. Not sure if I could get it down there through the fuel filler. I’ll find out when I try to inspect it again during my next CI in July, but it’s the only option I could figure out.

Finally got around to checking my fuel pump ssn and yes I’m screwed also! Ughhh I’ve had challenges with them since the engine was new. i did the vans SB (about the EMS connector) and thought that was the fix. Now that seems like it was a waste of time.

My pumps seem to need to prime themselves and then the engine runs ok. Letting one of them run will result in 42psi and they down rev to only 36 psi after about 10-15 secs.

Calling Lockwood in the morning. :mad:

Best I could do was get a borescope down there to inspect it when I had to replace my mechanical fuel gauge. Not sure if I could get it down there through the fuel filler. I’ll find out when I try to inspect it again during my next CI in July, but it’s the only option I could figure out.

I would propose installing a small sight glass directly above the finger filter. (recommendation for the factory)

I tried snaking my borescope through the tank, but I could not maneuver around the ribs.. Nor was I happy about the idea of inserting anything electrical inside a fuel tank.

I think it is possible to remove the finger filter while the tank is installed, but you may need to remove one or both of the aileron torque tubes.

Nor has Rotax bothered to notify me - not sure what the purpose of registering the engine for warranty with all my contact info was.

Back