What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap bearing blocks tight - should I lube?

rsr3

Well Known Member
Just installing the flap actuator for the first time. It feels tight - tighter than it should be. Anybody got any tips?!

Thanks!

The only block with adjustable clamp force is the center one. If you torque it to the book value it crushes the washers into the plastic and clamps down on the tube. Try removing the top half of the center block and see if it frees up. If it does, play around with washer thicknesses and bolt torque until you get it just right.

Thanks for the reply!

I haven't torqued down the centre bearing yet, but already the lower half of that seems to be "wedged" between the actuator and the baggage floors. I'll look at that again.

Without the centre bearing in place the actuator still feels stiff - despite there being about 1/16" in movement laterally between the two end bearings, suggesting it isn't being clamped by the fuselage sides and instead a tight fit in the holes in the bearing blocks... Maybe I might try a bit of vaseline or such like when I next take them out.

Did you cut the required notch out of the front of the center block to make room for the floor? I could see that causing it to wedge in there if you didn't make the relief cut.

Dress the ends of the flap torque tube (WD-613-EF) with fine file and Emery cloth, and then apply a thin layer of lithium grease (the white stuff). Insert each end into the bearing block (F-661-EF) and check for end play as well as ease of rotation.

If tight (totally subjective...sorry) use the Emery cloth on the ends again, repeat until satisfied.

Note: if you have clear/white F-661EFs, they will be more susceptible to deformation if the bolts are over-torqued.

Good Luck!

Just installing the flap actuator for the first time. It feels tight - tighter than it should be. Anybody got any tips?!

Thanks!

Remove the flap actuator and fit the end blocks to the tubing by sanding the inside bearing surface until the blocks rotate easily. pre-fit the center block and adjust the same way. Install back in the A/C.

.......... If you don't want to use a space the center block, you can clamp the cut block and re-bore the hole with a spade bit.......

Every time I’ve worked with new blocks, things seemed stiff. But they don’t seem stiff when you’re in the airplane. Maybe the leverage is better, maybe the UHMW relaxes a little, whatever. Anyway, I’ve never needed to go above/beyond what the plans call for to make things work.

Just to follow up on this for the benefit of others that may search for it later - flap motor now installed as per plans and it runs just fine.

Thanks everyone.

Back