What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Remedial Kit - How is everyone repriming? Thoughts and experiences please!

What priming option?

• Go Akzo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do something else (leave a post!)

• Eject!

• Total voters

Pilotx1939

I'm New Here
HOPE I am not reinventing the wheel here. If so, please feel free to redirect me to primer threads to reread. I've read a hugh bunch already.

SO, here's the issue. I am considering purchasing a RV kit that is one of the remedial kits from an RV'r that has it for sale. It's complete, untouched (just uncrated), with the options I had ordered. He found an airplane so is not going to construct the kit. I'm seriously considering this as the lead times are greater than one year at this writing. I've talked to Van's support about all this and I am comfortable with building the remedial kit and tackling the primer and corrosion issue, along with using CorrosionX/ACF50 after painting. I would be completely painting the aircraft in any event (no polishing).

I live at airpark community 3.25 miles from the Atlantic Ocean in Florida. Obviously, corrosion is going to be an issue. I am adding air conditioning to my hanger just to lower the temp slightly, but primarily to lower the humidity.

I have a enpennage kit arriving in September that I think should be alodined, then fully primed and painted. I will reprime the rivets and other bare aluminum after sub-assembly construction so that no bare aluminum on the empennage is left exposed. Having seen a crumbling Cherokee 140 in the area left outside that was nothing but white powder and wings so thin you can put your finger through them, it's probably prudent. I don't want to scrap the aircraft after five years. Yes, this is probably overkill, and if it is, let me know. Obviously, the Florida coast will eat anything.

I've read Randy Levold's RV-8 build completely, and his thoughts on PPG system but that's data from quite a while ago.

1.Thoughts on recoating the problem areas and the enpennage with the P60G2 Van's use.
2. Using AkzoNobel epoxy primer 463-12-8 instead, and compatibility with the present P60G2.

Thanks.

Spraying a completed structure with primer will only protect the parts you can see. It won't do much to protect the faying surfaces of lap joints and skin to rib interfaces. Sure, you can use CorrosionX for the rest of the structures life, but do you really want to be stinking out your aircraft and have that stuff oozing onto the hangar floor? Living where you are, the moment you go for a trip along the coast and have to leave your aircraft out overnight in the salt air, you'll be laying awake all night thinking about the salt spray making it's way into your unprotected surfaces. You will ultimately be making a disposable aircraft if you choose not to prime it in a costal area. If you're wondering what to do for a year before your kit arrives, living that close to the coast, make the most of the salt, buy a surfboard and go surfing. I'd leave the unprimed aircraft to the guys in Arizona. This is a massively time consuming projects, so it would be disappointing to not do it properly the first time and have something that is going to last. There's a reason Van's primes all their QB kits.

Tom.
RV-7

Remedial?

What does remedial mean?
I thought the QB kits were sprayed with P60G2 but something happened recently.
I still don't understand exactly what went down and how extensive the problem.
If it was sprayed, there's a good chance fay surfaces have primer.
I would take a very close look and then consider options.
I'm a P60G2 fan so you kno my vote.

Back