What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV3B weights

Rich Pulman

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm interested in learning more about typical empty weights of 3Bs with day/night VFR equipment and FP prop. I'm also curious about what kind of maximum gross weights people have on their CofA.

I asked Van's about max weights and here is their reply: "The designed gross weight of the RV-3B is 1100 pounds, we can not and will not approve a number higher than that. This however does not limit the builder from registering the aircraft with the FAA at a higher number. Legally the builder is the manufacturer of this aircraft and in turn the FAA will allow any number they choose for the Gross weight. This however does not mean the airframe has ever been tested to that."

The owner of a 3B that I was looking at said his maximum weight was 1350-1400 pounds. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what others are doing.

Thanks for any information you can provide. If you'd rather not make your numbers public here, please PM me. Confidentialty is assured.

I think I read someplace that the RV-3B wing was tested to destruction and failed a hair above 9 gs. That says that 6gs at 1,100 pounds is it. To me, 1,350 or 1,400 pounds is asking for trouble.

I've heard of folks using 1,250 pounds but at a reduced limit load.

The maximum empty weight I've heard of is about 900 pounds and for a -3B, the minimum was just below 700. One very light one that I know of came in at 733 without paint but with a constant speed prop.

Dave

My 3B’s empty weight is 776. FP Cato 3 blade prop, with paint, wheel pants, slider canopy, O320. I use 1150 as gross weight. Full fuel, me at 180 lbs. equals 1136 total.

Where is the weight ?

My EW is 762 w/paint, pants etc. if you assume full tanks and 180 pilot, you get one cg. If you assume 15 gallons and 30lb baggage, you get quite a different cg. Just like an accountant says, what do you want the number to be LOL.

I consider the 1,100 max aerobatic Gross Weight. (I thought it was 1,050, but OK).

For my old RV-3A I registered it with 1,300 gross weight in order to be able to fly cross country with two wing tanks and 25 gal fuselage tank and baggage. Of course at that gross weight it was no longer an aerobatic plane, a utility plane at best. Empty weight was 781. For daily use I didn't use wing tanks and was well below 1,100 lbs.

Finn

Empty weight on mine is 750 lbs, and the builder registered a 1300 lbs MTOW. That's a 550 lbs payload, which is more than I could possibly see myself loading up.

I'm not heavily into aerobatics, but I'll keep the weight below 1100 just in case...

Hans

Mine is 737lbs - Lycoming O-235, wood prop.

Sticking to the 1,100/1,050 max weights.

Surprising constraints for light 3B

I got my spreadsheet out for my 762 LB EW 3B.
My weight with wallet, shoes, cell phone, knee board etc. is about 190 LB.
An 1,100 lb gross weight only allows 25 gallon fuel.
However, IF I assume a rear cg limit is the most important constraint, 1220 lb gross would be allowed with 30 lb baggage. This rationale also accommodates a 236LB pilot.
So, how important is 120 lbs ? Obviously not a lot of "plus size" #B's are falling out of the sky, just sayin :confused:

Mine is 794lbs, Lycoming O320, wooden Culver prop, lots of paint. Power is most definitely not a problem but I keep it to 1100lbs ish which isn't too difficult as I can only get about 23 US gallons in the fuselage tank.

Back