What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

adel clamp selection?

dwranda

Well Known Member
I'm into the engine wiring and wondering if there's a consensus on adel clamps. I have a box of them from Harbor freight but wondering if there is better quality ones to use or if an adel clamp is an adel clamp. What did you all use? Thanks!

Adel clamps

There are quite a few variations. You want heat resistant up front. Aircraft Spruce sells all of them.

Check out McFarlane also. They show different types for engine compartment, blue ones, that tolerate to 400+ degrees. Decide on what u want.

Use the box of clamps from Harbor Freight for non-aviation projects! You have no idea of their temperature tolerance - or anything else about them.

ACS is very convenient for buying parts online. I generally buy bunches of Adel’s from B&B at shows because they have them pretty cheap, but haven’t bought from them online.

Paul

lots

Much better quality from Aircraft Spruce. Not that expensive in the greater scheme of things.

I just ordered 10 each of a bunch of sizes. Left overs are a bonus IMHO.
I did the same - I have a lot left over, but as you wrote, they are not that expensive. It was always nice to have the exact size I wanted. Used a lot of size -12 FWF, along with a lot of -4 for wire bundles. I used the blue strip high heat ones everywhere. Also, I use surplus surgical hemostats to hold them together when getting the bolt/nut on - works great.

I made a mistake of installing couple of hardware store clamps in non essential applications. Ten years later the rubber is cracked, stiffened and disintegrates when you touch it. Good decision to go with aviation hardware.

Spruce sells WG and DWG clamps. The DWG have the little extra rubber that seals the gap and keeps any wires from getting pinched in the gap.

I did the same - I have a lot left over, but as you wrote, they are not that expensive. It was always nice to have the exact size I wanted. Used a lot of size -12 FWF, along with a lot of -4 for wire bundles. I used the blue strip high heat ones everywhere. Also, I use surplus surgical hemostats to hold them together when getting the bolt/nut on - works great.

I don't see a difference on spruce for the blue strip ones. They all look the same. Are they listed elsewhere?

Mcmaster Carr sell the mil spec adel clamps also in aluminum, steel and stainless. Pricing and deliver are excellent. Black - normal temp. White - high temp.

KT

Mcmaster Carr sell the mil spec adel clamps also in aluminum, steel and stainless. Pricing and deliver are excellent. Black - normal temp. White - high temp.

KT

Get the stainless steel ones for exhaust brackets. I have had cracking issues with aluminum ones. No cracks once I went to stainless.

Last edited:
Umpco makes aircraft-grade P clamps with locking tabs so you don't fight them trying to get fasteners in. Unfortunately they are very hard to find from a reliable non-ebay source.

You would think they would absolutely dominate the market but apparently not...

Back