What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tariffs

David Z

Well Known Member
Trying to stay as non-political as possible with this hot potato. The news today announced that retaliatory tariffs are going to be imposed on a list of aluminum products produced in the United States (list is here). It doesn't specifically list airplane parts, but does list aluminum sheets, tubes and bars. These being what many of our kit parts are made from.

My fuselage kit was recently ordered and will be on it's way shortly. So I'm quite worried. Since airplane parts are not specifically mentioned, I'm hoping I'm safe? From those out there that are smarter than I, should I expect a 10% bill from customs when the kit crosses the border in a few weeks?

Surely it can't be 10% of the kit price. The value of the actual aluminum is small compared to the R&D, part manufacturing cost, overhead and profit for Van's Aircraft.

The last time (not long ago and it was Trudeau that imposed them) it did not apply to aircraft parts. It applied to like you said items that were stock , not finished parts. Now if Van's was in Canada and ordered their sheet stock to make our parts from the US then I do believe they would hit and it would get passed on to us.
That is what I seem to recall when I brought parts in last time around. I do know I did not pay any tarrifs.
PS I am not smarter than you!!!

tariffs.....funny, but nobody's laughing.

yeah, ain't it funny....
Canada annually exports about $10 billion worth of aluminum to the U.S....83% of our total production ( 4th largest producer in the world!)
so the odds are really high that every Ford pickup, and sheet of alclad, probably contains a fair bit of 'our' aluminum!
but hey, we should really pay some more, because, you know, it's been converted, and then processed, and then, shipped to the Philippines to be re-manufactured into 'aircraft' parts...then shipped back to us, then sold again, and again, and taxed, and tariffed ...ad nauseum.
( is there a 'cranky old guy forum'?....or is that 'all of them' now? ;-)

Answer

Just dealt with customs today. I can report that I paid $0 in tariffs, not a penny. There was the normal sales tax, but that was all.

... for now. Sept 15 the US announced it decided to lift their 10% import tariff on Canadian aluminum, days before the Canadian retaliatory tariff was to take effect, but supposedly under continuous review...
Ordering & shipping parts & kits into Canada is safe for now, no tariff.

Back