What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root fairings

DaAV8R

Well Known Member
I'm working on the wings. I am getting close to riveting the skins.

I'm thinking I will go ahead and install the nutplates for the wing root fairings now. This would allow deburring of skin, wing walk doubler and rib at the nutplate locations. It would also allow these components to be dimpled prior to assembly.

Does anyone see a problem with nutplate install during wing construction?

Are the wing root fairings prepunched at the screw locations? My planning assumes they are prepunched.

Thanks.

I drilled mine

with the wings mounted to the fuselage and after the wings were correctly positioned and rear spar attach drilled and bolted up.

I suppose there's no harm in doing those for the top of the wing, but those on the bottom, belly skin overlap and the underside of the front fairing that wraps the leading edge, I believe would have to be match drilled with the wings on.

I took the wings back off to do all the nut plates. (and a lot of other stuff!)

Just finished working on the wing root fairings. The top fairing is pre-punched and matches the holes on the wing skin. The only possible downside I see to putting nut-plates on top while building the wings, is the time to run screws in to hold the fairing for fitting to the fuselage. I suppose you could cleco through the nutplate, but that may be a little too loose.

On the bottom, the fuselage skin overlaps the wing covering the pre-puched attach holes in the wing skin. (I have the older non match hole fuse, so these holes may be matched on the newer fuse). So you either have to figure out how to back drill through wing skin, or I used a hole finder to pick up the holes. Either way, it would be difficult to do with the nut-plates installed.

Back