What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magneto service companies recommended?

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
My Slick Mag is up for a 500 hour inspection. Any recommendations for companies that specialize in this offering good service, price, and turn around? I’m located in Michigan so closer is better.

Thanks.

Ditto

I used AMS this spring for my impulse coupled Slick, 500 hr inspection. Their website made shipping the mag easy. They have a good reputation, and Steve responds quickly to email questions.

I have used Aircraft Accessories of Oklahoma and recommend them to my friends. I had starting issues caused by a magneto problem that another shop did not resolve. I called AAO and asked if I could drop the mag off for evaluation. They invited me to watch them do diagnostic tests on their work bench and I watched as they found the issues. I opted for an overhaul and they suggested that I go to lunch and pick the mag up in a couple of hours. The mag has been trouble free for about three years now.

Just had 4 Slicks done at Poplar Grove Airmotive, fast service at a reasonable price

Jim, I don't think you will find anyone local to do the inspection. I used AMS back when they were on an island in Washington state for my C-152. Then again for my RV-10 after they moved to Montana. They do great work and even have the equipment to do a heat soaked stress test on the magnetos. Very honest and upfront on replacement parts and repairs.

Crossfire Magneto has excellent customer service!

Crossfire magneto in Port Orange FL.

Paul Brevard has provided great customer service for me over the years. My first dealing with Paul was with a problem mag on an airplane I purchased. Sent it to him and the day it arrived, he called me and said he had tore it down and found that it would cost more to repair than buying a new one. He reassembled it sent it back to me no charge!

I bought a new Slick mag from QAA. 25 hours and 14 months later the brand new mag died! A wire had come lose and was arching around. QAA said, sorry, its out of warranty. Champion Aerospace won't even answer the phone. I pulled the mag and sent it to Crossfire.

When Paul got the magneto, he contacted me to let me know that the rivets on the impulse coupling were about to fall out and drop parts into my accessory case! But, my serial number was just outside the service bulletin range. Paul hooked me up with a live person and helped get Champion to cover the cost of (him repairing) the mag.

I had a question during the reinstall of the mag on a Sunday. Paul happened to listen to his messages and called me back while I was still at the airport. Question answered and problem solved.

I can't say enough good things about how Crossfire has treated me. Prices were just as good as I found anywhere else. Definitely give him a call. :)

http://crossfiremagneto.com

My Slick Mag is up for a 500 hour inspection. Any recommendations for companies that specialize in this offering good service, price, and turn around? I’m located in Michigan so closer is better.

Thanks.

I wanted to move on this so I ended up sending it to Eagle Magneto out of New Smyrna Beach, FL before all the accolades came in on AMS. So time will tell.

I did a search before making this thread and all the posts seemed to be pretty old. Good to have updated referrals for magneto services. Keep the recommendations coming because most everyone will need this service sometime. OK .....not the double pMag installers.

Anyone have recent quotes to inspect 2 mags? Mine are about to come due and it would be nice to know what to expect $-wise generally. My mags have worked flawlessly for their first 500 hours, but cost for overhaul will factor in to whether I bite the bullet and go to electronic ignition(s) of some sort.

I think the ballpark is $300-500 per mag depending on the shop and what parts need replacing. Could go over $500 but probably not under 300.

I used Aircraft Magneto Services in Montana. I am based in the UK so brought the mags to the USA when I visited and shipped to AM.

They were outstanding in every respect.

I just went through this problem myself, 580 hrs on my slicks and right side got oil in the cap. So here I am AOG, and not home. Two rebuilt slicks later, about $1500 for both total. Everyone says P-mag is the way to go, but who can fix them or diagnose them when your not at home base? I thought I would have to buy three p-mags and carry the spare with me when I traveled for peace of mind. You can get a mag at the local plane parts store and be in the air that afternoon. P-mag have a good record but I want commonly available parts when I travel by RV. I got a nose wheel flat tire landing at MTH once and went to NAPA for the tube. Five bucks and a ratchet and I was gone. I'm trying to fly with commonly sourced parts now special ordered items. Just my 2 cents!

I wanted to move on this so I ended up sending it to Eagle Magneto out of New Smyrna Beach, FL before all the accolades came in on AMS. So time will tell.

I did a search before making this thread and all the posts seemed to be pretty old. Good to have updated referrals for magneto services. Keep the recommendations coming because most everyone will need this service sometime. OK .....not the double pMag installers.

Update: Eagle Magneto turned around my mag with yellow tag in one working day and the price was in the middle of the $300-$500 going range. New: points, sealed bearing, oil seal, Kelly gear, pinion gear, gasket, and labor & bench test. So far so good.

Back