What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Pump Mounting - EFII

efitzgerald

I'm trying to keep everything under the stock fuel injection cover.

What do you think about mounting the pump like this? The floor stiffeners would be drilled for the bolts.

IMG_4920_zpspcgw0kld.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_4922_zpsuredxe3b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I thought it would be a good idea to get some input on this before drilling the stiffeners.

Let me you what you think, Thanks.

Ideas

Your top picture shows the B- nut against the aluminum bracket. I would suggest you not do this. Also make sure there is access at condition inspection. Maybe make a plan on how these pumps will be serviced.

Last edited:
I see that EFII has changed their fuel filters. They are a lot more compact. I installed mine in the same location you did but I built a removable tray that the whole assembly can be removed. Not saying it is better, just different. My website has a lot more pictures. The only thing remaining for me is to build a cover to go over the whole assembly. That will be after flight testing.

FP15012017A0001B.jpg

My fuel pumps live on the engine side of the firewall with heat shields. No high pressure fuel inside the cabin for me.

I?m not sure I see the advantage of your mounting approach over using the standard Vans bracket. Plus I?m not sure how you are going to be able to get a wrench under the pump to tighten your mounting bolts.

I have one of these pumps too but I have to admit I don?t have it fully mounted yet.

More than one way to skin a cat.

First and foremost, I?m building a -7, so the modifications that I?m about to describe here may not apply to you. I?m doing my fuel pump(s) and filters installation a little bit different. I?m actually mounting the pumps, along with the filters, directly to the floorboard, with everything being in a straight line. I didn?t want all of that rats nest of plumbing along with that big dog-house to cover everything up. I basically have the pre and post pump filters mounted directly to the fuel pump(s) manifold and have that entire assembly mounted directly to the floorboard. If you use Tom?s small filters, then everything will fit just fine. I had to modify the center tunnel cover a little bit and it gets raised up about an inch over its stock location, but it allows for a nice clean flat floorboard when you?re done. As part of the center tunnel cover modification, I cut it free from where it turns up and becomes part of the heater box manifold. That allowed the heater box portion of the cover to remain in its stock location where it?s attached to the firewall, while allowing me to raise the floorboard cover section up by about 1?. I then just re-attached the tunnel cover plate portion back to the heater box portion with a few nut plates and screws. This also allows me to have easy access to to fuel pumps and filters by simply removing the tunnel cover floorboard section and not having to remove anything else. I'm installing some little 2? tall stand-off angles on the floorboard which are riveted to the floorboard ribs. These run the length of the floorboard ribs (basically from the spar to the firewall) but it gives me the perfect place to screw that center tunnel cover plate back down to. Once the fuel pumps, filters, and fuel lines are installed, and the center floorboard cover plate back on and carpet in place, no one will ever even know that there?s any pumps or filters installed there because the floorboard will remain almost completely flat. I?ll be glad to send pictures of my modification to anyone if you?re interested. I can build an airplane but I can?t figure out how to post pictures on this site.

Mark

I modified Van's center floor panel with a couple of reinforcing angles and nut plates. There are six nutplates. Four are for the fuel system and the other two nutplates are used to fasten an electrical harness. I can remove the fuel pump assembly by disconnecting the inlet and outlet fuel lines, electrical connections to the pumps, and four mounting bolts.

Many ways to skin the cat.

FP08012017A00009.jpg

FP08012017A0000A.jpg

I modified Van's center floor panel with a couple of reinforcing angles and nut plates. There are six nutplates. Four are for the fuel system and the other two nutplates are used to fasten an electrical harness. I can remove the fuel pump assembly by disconnecting the inlet and outlet fuel lines, electrical connections to the pumps, and four mounting bolts.

Many ways to skin the cat.

That's exactly what I've been planning to do once I get my rudder pedals installed.

It was my understanding the all the wiring will run through the area directly below the fuel pumps. If the pumps are mounted to the top of the large cover with the heater vents on it, you would be required to remove them to access the wiring. I was also planning on running the fuel lines below the cover if possible.

Would drilling the stiffeners be a problem?

The brackets do not touch the fuel lines or nuts. It is the angle the photo was taken at or I may have moved the lines a bit while taking the picture (they are not tight).

I did the same as Paul, basically making the whole center cover a removable pump assembly. Still have planned to do some form of cover over it all also. I have two main wire runs in the center tunnel area underneath also, but contained within plastic conduit, with the conduit ziptied down to heavy-duty outdoor-rated ziptie anchor mounts from either Homeless Despot or Lowes Aviation.

What fuel filters are those, BTW?

i'd rather have a fuel filter for each tank, than one central one that could fail/clog/etc

i don't like single points of failure, especially in the fuel path

It was my understanding the all the wiring will run through the area directly below the fuel pumps. If the pumps are mounted to the top of the large cover with the heater vents on it, you would be required to remove them to access the wiring. I was also planning on running the fuel lines below the cover if possible.

Would drilling the stiffeners be a problem?

The brackets do not touch the fuel lines or nuts. It is the angle the photo was taken at or I may have moved the lines a bit while taking the picture (they are not tight).

Here are a few photos of the center tunnel completed as of now. Later I will build a cover, after phase 1 is complete. Note that the brake, electrical and fuel lines are all fastened on top of this section. No lines are under the tunnel. Under the tunnel I put the same noise insulating material that is on the firewall.

FP26032019A0000L.jpg

FP26032019A0000M.jpg

FP26032019A0000N.jpg

Back