What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9A air valve access front wheel pant

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Got the wheel pant installed last week looks great last evening I went to put air in the front tire discovered I couldn?t get to the valve stem. What kind of access hole did you drill or cut in the front wheel pant.And while we?re here the maingear wheel pants will go in this week, I am asking in advance the same question. Thanks Ron in Oregon

I drilled a 1" hole aft of the axle to line up with the valve stem and used a metal snap-in plug to cover it. I then spray painted a red dot on tire side wall below the wheel pant directly below the axle. Roll the a/c forward or back until the red dot is in position, pop the plug and inflate. Don't forge to reinstall the plug. Dan from Reno

I was told and I agree that it's best to take the wheel pant off so you can check everything at the same time as you air the tire.

I was told and I agree that it's best to take the wheel pant off so you can check everything at the same time as you air the tire.

Who would ever tell you such a ridiculous thing ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Dan, like the idea and will do. I assume you did the mains the same way? Walt I see you do condition inspections. Where you located? Got a few friends who bought RV’s, thanks guys,
Ron in Oregon

We have nice little access holes in the pants with cute little spring door things... and NEVER use them. "The builder" thought it was a good idea over a decade ago, but I tell ya', he was wrong. I much prefer to pop it off and get in there. I know of at least one other RV9A driver that is (sometimes) required to agree with me.

We have nice little access holes in the pants with cute little spring door things... and NEVER use them. "The builder" thought it was a good idea over a decade ago, but I tell ya', he was wrong. I much prefer to pop it off and get in there. I know of at least one other RV9A driver that is (sometimes) required to agree with me.

My RV-7A?s builder did the same thing to KELLI GIRL, and I never use them either. I just gotta get in there and check everything out.

Scott and Kelley Girl that access door was a distant thought and like Dan in Reno I went and bought the plugs at Lowe’s. Looking at the prices of RV9A s in Trade-a-Plane the next buyer can put his own doors in. Iam done doing the custom work. Seven years of building and 2 1/2 years of fantastic flying. Ron in Oregon

Scott and Kelley Girl that access door was a distant thought and like Dan in Reno I went and bought the plugs at Lowe?s. Looking at the prices of RV9A s in Trade-a-Plane the next buyer can put his own doors in. Iam done doing the custom work. Seven years of building and 2 1/2 years of fantastic flying. Ron in Oregon

Amen. I'm too busy enjoying the flying to do more custom fiberglass work, and if I've got a tire going down it's generally coming off anyway to look at the tube.

EZ access

For my nose wheel, In addition to an elongated access hole with a cover, I mounted all 3 of my wheels pants using SkyBolt, 1/4 turn fasteners. I can remove the front of each in seconds. The rear portion takes maybe a minute.

Back